Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Farewell, Emsisoft Online Armor

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:02 AM

Posted 31 March 2015 - 03:57 PM

Emsisoft Online Armor support roadmap

As of today, we have stopped selling Emsisoft Online Armor. New license activations will only be possible until the end of May 2015. The official end of technical support will be March 31, 2016. Though, we will still provide updates for critical issues that may be discovered until then. At the moment we can say with certainty that we will not add Windows 10 compatibility, since that requires several major changes to the codebase.

Goodbye Online Armor - you have served us well.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,537 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:02 PM

Posted 31 March 2015 - 05:15 PM

A lot of MRT members from every malware removal forums will have to remove it from their canneds now :P Personally I see it being recommended a lot on GTG, it's even in one of my canneds.

RIP OA.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#3 Pilate

Pilate

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:02 AM

Posted 01 April 2015 - 01:54 PM

This is a very sad news.

OS: Windows XP with all updates; Office Suite: LibreOffice

FW: Online Armor Free; AV: Avira Free, ESET Online Scanner

AS: MBAM Free

Browser: Firefox with NoScript, AdBlockPlus, CookieMonster, BetterPrivacy,

Backup Software: ERUNT, Cobian Backup

#4 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• Malware Study Hall Admin
  • 60,917 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:02 AM

Posted 01 April 2015 - 02:25 PM

Truth is, a software firewall is nice, but only if you have specific needs and want to filter/monitor network traffic. For most computer users a router combined with Windows7/8's firewall is more than enough from a security point of view. :)

I would only recommend a software firewall for users with Windows XP and no router, and honestly even then, using an outdated/unsupported OS version just puts you at risk, even with firewall.

regards, Elise

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | lockerdome

Malware analyst @ Emsisoft

#5 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,537 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2015 - 02:26 PM

I guess a software firewall is nice for people that want an additional layer of protection on which they can have full control and/or use it for monitoring, troubleshooting purposes other than that, Windows Firewall does the job like Elise said :P

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#6 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2015 - 02:33 PM

As a certain person said, most people use Online Armor for its HIPS feature (and thus are not for the majority of people).

For me, Online Armor was just a good old memory back in the days - it brought my footsteps to Emsisoft :)

#7 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• Malware Study Hall Admin
  • 60,917 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:02 AM

Posted 01 April 2015 - 03:49 PM

I guess a software firewall is nice for people that want an additional layer of protection on which they can have full control and/or use it for monitoring, troubleshooting purposes

Yes, and that in itself is perfectly fine. However to control/monitor, you also need to understand what a firewall does and what certain notifications or options signify. If you don't understand that, then you risk making wrong choices when you receive firewall notifications and thus you may put your computer at risk. In such cases its much better just to rely on your average Windows/router firewall, which usually don't allow advanced monitoring (but will block malicious traffic all the same), but keep your computer safe without much user interference.

regards, Elise

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | lockerdome

Malware analyst @ Emsisoft

#8 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,537 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2015 - 05:05 PM

If you don't understand that, then you risk making wrong choices when you receive firewall notifications and thus you may put your computer at risk.

Why do I have the reflex of thinking about COMODO Firewall users when I read that? :P

unite_blue.png

#9 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,111 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2015 - 06:27 PM

...For most computer users a router combined with Windows7/8's firewall is more than enough from a security point of view. :)

I would only recommend a software firewall for users with Windows XP and no router, and honestly even then, using an outdated/unsupported OS version just puts you at risk, even with firewall.

That's how I see it too.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#10 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2015 - 01:26 AM

It didn't help that I'm on a couple of other forums and they seem to recommend third-party firewalls for no reason.

With Emsisoft Online Armor gone they are switching en masse to Comodo Firewall, which is not helping.

#11 Andrei_V

Andrei_V

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2015 - 03:28 AM

The problem is all the people that do not read anything correctly, they see stuff on the internet and it must be gospel.

All over the net you will see that the Windows Firewall is c***** and lists of other expletives. Try to explain to them that Avira and Trend Micro stopped producing a firewall because the built in Windows firewall is more secure and you will get laughed at.

The internet is full of people that load their systems with multiple layers of " protection" , personally I love them, they fill my workbench with borked systems every week ))

Common sense is so much cheaper and more reliable as security.

#12 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,111 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2015 - 04:22 AM

5 Reasons Why the Windows Firewall is One of the Best Firewalls

#13 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,537 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2015 - 05:27 AM

I guess software firewall are good to use in system that are important to monitor and keep an eye on, like servers (Windows Server for example). Other than that, the common end-user will probably not know what half of the notification he's receiving is for and will just allow them all to go throught. It's like people using COMODO Firewall, but then disabling HIPS. They disable the main reason to use the program, yet they keep on using it.

unite_blue.png

#14 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,111 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2015 - 06:21 AM

All the more reason for the common end-user to just stick with Windows Firewall.

#15 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2015 - 07:09 AM

I wish they know their limitations and stick to the simple stuff. Some people insisting on using high-end software just to prove that they can, then complain when it becomes too much.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users