Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

internet explorer for vista home priemum

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 grannyandy

grannyandy

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:47 PM

Posted 31 March 2015 - 12:26 PM

I am having problems with vista I reinstalled and now it will not let me go to any other web but msn when I do it tells me that it cannot load. I go to internet explorer web to see if I can download newer version it tells me the same thing. Tried to download google chrome and it will not let me. I have tried a lot of things to no avail any help would be appreciated thank you

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MarkMCS

MarkMCS

• Members
  • 161 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:47 PM

Posted 31 March 2015 - 01:46 PM

Hi, 

When you install Vista, it defaults to MSN as your homepage. That's easy to change, along with changing your default search provider and default browser.  

But first, after your reinstall, have you run windows update... and are you currently running Vista home premium SP2?  If you're up to date, type google in the MSN search box.

Click on 'Google' and when the Google page opens, close the MSN tab, leaving the Google tab open.  Click the gear in the upper right hand corner of the browser. click 'internet options', and where it says home page,  click on 'use current.' click "APPLY".

Don't close the window!

While still in the general tab, click on 'search'(change search defaults) , then 'search providers', then click 'Google' then check the 2 boxes at the bottom left and the box that says "SET AS DEFAULT" at the bottom right then close. Close the browser and reopen. It should open to Google. There should now be a box on the right asking you to install Google Chrome. If so, follow the instructions...If not, let me know. 

Edited by MarkMCS, 31 March 2015 - 04:00 PM.

A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing.  -Emo Phillips

#3 MarkMCS

MarkMCS

• Members
  • 161 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2015 - 01:53 PM

IF this hasn't helped, please let me know what specifically you've tried, so I might get a better idea what the problem is.

One other thing...Vista only supports Internet explorer 9. (not IE10 or IE11)

Edited by MarkMCS, 31 March 2015 - 02:48 PM.

A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing.  -Emo Phillips

#4 Kuvasz

Kuvasz

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2015 - 11:21 AM

Having the same issue with a clean install of Vista Home Premium 64. I keep getting errors and can't download new IE or Chrome. No solution as of yet.

#5 MarkMCS

MarkMCS

• Members
  • 161 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2015 - 10:40 PM

Kuvasz,

Remember to be sure Vista is up to date, and SP2 is installed. IE9 is the latest for Vista. Are you sure you are installing the correct version of Chrome? I believe the download bar  installs the 32bit version by default. Look below that for options for other versions

Edited by MarkMCS, 02 April 2015 - 05:19 PM.

#6 grannyandy

grannyandy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:47 PM

Posted 17 April 2015 - 07:13 AM

thanks everyone for the responses. what I finally did was downloaded sp1 and sp2 to a flash drive and installed them that way and everything went fine.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users