Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Lenovo Z70-80 vs HP ProBook 450 G1

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

Poll: Lenovo vs HP Freelance Writer Laptop (2 member(s) have cast votes)

Should LoneWolffe Buy Lenovo Z70-80 or HP ProBook 450 G1?

1. Lenovo Z70-80 (2 votes [100.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 100.00%

2. HP ProBook 450 G1 (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 LoneWolffe

LoneWolffe

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:22 AM

Posted 31 March 2015 - 09:23 AM

I'm really torn between two laptops, and I'm wondering if anyone here can shed some light on the subject. For the last four years, I've been using HP ProBook, a 4530s which my wife inherited, after which I have been using a 4540s. I like that the design is fairly bulletproof, and it has enough oomph to keep a dozen programs running without a hiccup. I am a freelance writer, and typically run a lot of programs back and forth between dozens of tabs in Chrome, five or six Word documents, a couple of Excel spreadsheets, one Access database, Photo Pos Pro, Winamp, IObit driver, defrag, malware, system maintenance, StarDock sidebar, a few Windows Gadgets, well, you get the idea. RIght now, for example, I have about 185 processes running, idling at 17% CPU and 38% of my 8 GB memory free.

I'm looking to upgrade, but there's a catch. I like my HP ProBook 4540s, but would like a bigger screen. I'm currently doing volunteer work in the highlands of Peru, but I'll be heading back to the US in April/May, at which time I will buy a new laptop. I'm only going to be in the US for a month, so whatever I buy has to be bulletproof, because I don't know when I'll be back. In other words, if there is something wrong with the laptop, I won't be able to just swap it for another within a reasonable amount of time. Seeing as this is my sole link to the outside world, as well as my livelihood, do you have any insights on these two models, the Lenovo Z70-80 and the HP ProBook 450 G1?

Lenovo - http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/le ... es/z70-80/
HP - http://www.microcenter.com/product/4278 ... er_-_Black

I'm currently working with a 2.4 GHz dual-core i3. The Lenovo features a 2.1 GHz dual-core Intel i3, while the HP is equipped with a 2.5 GHz i5. The HP already comes with 8 GB RAM, but I'd add another 4 GB to the Lenovo, anyway. HDD space isn't all that important, but the anti-glare 17.3-inch monitor really caught my eye on the Lenovo, and I can't find anyone else selling a 17.3-inch anti-glare laptop. As far as I can tell, both selling at $600, this is the main difference for me.

Questions:
1. Would switching from 2.4 GHz i3 to 2.1 GHz i3 be that much of a loss?
2. Will the Lenovo be just as reliable as I've found the HP to be?

"There is no such thing as a foolproof system. Someone will make a better fool, tomorrow." @LoneWolffe

Edited by LoneWolffe, 31 March 2015 - 09:25 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 sauberlime

sauberlime

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:22 PM

Posted 02 April 2015 - 03:14 PM

Hi, if you're only using this for office workds like MS applications, I'd say, no. 1.gif

#3 LoneWolffe

LoneWolffe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2015 - 04:59 PM

Hi, if you're only using this for office workds like MS applications, I'd say, no. 1.gif

Thanks! Still on the fence on this one, but any bit of information works :)

#4 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,049 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2015 - 09:15 AM

IMO the processor speed difference for what you do is negligible.  Can either one be ordered with an SSD, they both will be much faster.  The SSD being pretty much shock proof removes the spinner HD worries.

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#5 LoneWolffe

LoneWolffe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2015 - 11:48 PM

Thanks for your help. I went with the Lenovo, and it's great so far. I like the big screen, and I haven't noticed and performance issues, even with the one or two games that I play.

#6 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,049 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2015 - 06:04 AM

:thumbsup2:

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users