Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Haroon Mahmood how to make partition of the drive in windows 7

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 haroonmahmood

haroonmahmood

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:01 PM

Posted 31 March 2015 - 06:17 AM

Hello friends, I am Haroon Mahmood. I am new member to this forum. I want to know about the partition of the drive in windows 7. I want to keep safe data without taking any backup of the drive. Please suggest me some ideas regarding my above mentioned problem.

Thanks & Regards

Haroon Mahmood

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,601 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:31 AM

Posted 31 March 2015 - 09:08 AM

If I understand this correctly, you do not want to use a program like Macrium Reflect to clone your hdd?  But you do want to backup your important data?

If this is the case, you can transfer your data to a form of removable media, such as an external hdd, flash drive, DVDs/CDs, etc.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 haroonmahmood

haroonmahmood
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2015 - 04:34 AM

Hi DC,

Thanks for your kind response. I hope your suggestion will help me to make the partition of the drive.

Regards

Haroon Mahmood

#4 millemma

millemma

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2015 - 05:13 AM

Hi Haroon Mahmood,

If you want to partition hard drive in windows 7 then please follow the given below steps.

1. First, open the computer management tool.

2. Select the disk management option on the left side of the window. Now, you could see all the drives and their partition on your system.

3. Now, right click on the partition you want to re-size and select the shrink volume option. Then, enter the size you want to shrink your drive to in MB. Then click on the Shrink button.

4. After this, you should see a new unallocated partition in your Disk Management window. Right-click on the Unallocated partition and select the New Simple Volume option.

5. Click on the Next button in New Simple Volume Wizard  to continue.

6. Now enter the size of new partition and click on next button.

7. After this, give a letter name to your new partition and click on next button.

8. Now select followinf settings for the new volume.

• Click on the Format this volume with the following settings:
  • For File System, select NTFS
  • For Allocation unit size, select Default
  • For Volume Label, type the name you wish to give your new drive.
  • Click on the Perform a quick format
  • Then click on the Next button

9. Click on the Finish button.

10. After that a popup will ask you to partition your new drive. Click on the Format disk button. A new window will popup. Keep the settings and click on the Start button, then a warning will popup. And click on the OK button.

11. Now you could see a new partition in your disk management window.

I hope these steps will help you.

Thanks,

Emma Miller

#5 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,684 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:31 AM

Posted 01 April 2015 - 05:29 AM

Partitioning a drive will have no benefit for making data safe. A backup is the only way to reduce the danger of loss of your data.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#6 haroonmahmood

haroonmahmood
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2015 - 04:08 AM

Thanks to all for great answers. I hope your suggestion will help me to make the partition of the drive.

Regards

Haroon Mahmood

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users