Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ext HD becomes inaccessible

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 smjrhp1

smjrhp1

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:47 AM

Posted 31 March 2015 - 03:55 AM

What started this problem was I had setup a laptop (1) to have several partitions.
Then there was another exact same type of laptop (2) that used a docking station.  I had a external HD (seagate Freeagent) attached to the docking station and had a designation E for the drive.
I learned that the laptop (1) could also be placed on the docking station, so I decided to place the laptop on the docking station so I could use the printer.  Apon doing so, the laptop (1) had the partition designated "E" already  and then I could no longer access the seagate ext HD.

Now, that I have time, I'm trying to see if I can get access to seagate again.
I've plugged it into a new laptop with win 7 and a module showed up with the title;
check disk freeagent drive (f);
Automatically fix file systems errors
or
Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors.
I didn't know what to do so I cancelled it and it did allow me to open up an explorer window, but when the files where clicked on, to open, it just showed the hour glass for a very long time and locked up my laptop. 

I had to press and hold the power button to get things to shut down.

Would allowing the check disk to fix file systems destroy the data?

So, any suggestions?
I'd like to recover the data on this hard drive.

Thanks for your time and replies in advance.
Jim

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,196 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:47 AM

Posted 01 April 2015 - 09:09 PM

Welcome,

Can you fill in some of the blanks? operating system and version on the computers, format of the free agent, etc. Also, are all of the programs and drivers current?

Dick

Stay well and surf safe [stay protected]

Dick E

#3 smjrhp1

smjrhp1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2015 - 01:34 AM

Paraclete;

Windows 7 pro sp1

Dell M4600  i7-2820QM 2.30ghz

16gb of ram

320g hd

All programs and drivers have been updated.

I believe the Freeagent has NTFS format.

The problem began with a Laptop with win xp.

Jim

#4 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,196 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2015 - 07:00 AM

Jim,

I suspect that the unsupported OS [XP] is the problem. I know that W7 can read XP formatted files but I'm not so sure about the reverse.

Dick

Dick E

#5 smjrhp1

smjrhp1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2015 - 02:28 PM

Dick

So, I should let the repair option do it thing?

or just let the system run until it figures it out when I click on a file?

Jim

#6 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,196 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2015 - 07:56 PM

Jim,

I would not do anything to those files [the drive] until after I was sure I have backed up the important parts. Then I'd try the repair option. Most times the automatic repairs work well BUT they are not perfect.

I'm not sure that the system can 'figure' it out on its own.  If you have the time I don't anticipate that it could do any harm.

Dick

Dick E

#7 smjrhp1

smjrhp1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2015 - 09:42 PM

Dicke

How does one back up the Ext HD?

Can I use Acronis?

Or just copy it to DVDs?

Jim

#8 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,196 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2015 - 07:15 AM

If your backup program sees the files then use it and with compression dump the data to DVDs or your HDD, given you have space for them.

Copy will work but takes time and more DVDs

Dick

Dick E

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,019 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2015 - 08:19 AM

I didn't know what to do so I cancelled it and it did allow me to open up an explorer window, but when the files where clicked on, to open, it just showed the hour glass for a very long time and locked up my laptop.  I had to press and hold the power button to get things to shut down.

I am not sure you would be able to pull the data off if it locks up when you click on a file. Does it still do that? You may have better luck pulling off the files with a small linux distro like Puppy. The thing about chkdsk, which is what Automatically fix file systems errors is, is that is can make things worse if the file system is badly corrupted. That is the last option if Puppy linux cannot transfer your files.

You can download the iso for version 5.2.8 here. Burn the iso file and boot to the Puppy Desktop. You can burn a iso file in Windows 7 by right clicking and selecting Burn Disk Image. Attach your USB external drive. You will see a USB icon appear on the desktop. Click once on the icon and a File Manager will open. If the file system is too corrupted to read Puppy will tell you. Your hard drive is shown on the lower left and will be called sda. There will be sda1...sda2.. depending on how many partitions are on sda. Your Windows partition should be sda2 if you have windows 7. Click once on it and another File Manager Window will open. If you do not see your Windows 7 files close the Window and click on the other drive icons until you find your Windows partition. You can highlight files in Puppy by Left Clicking while pressing the Ctrl key. You can also left click and Window around files/folders. Drag the highlghted files from the USB external window to your hard drive window. A small dialog box will open asking if you want to copy or move. Select Copy and click the quiet box.

Here is a good guide on using Puppy to transfer files. Do not do the disk check as explained in the guide. Post back if Puppy says the drive cannot be read. Also, you do not have to manually mount the drive. That is done automatically when you click once on the drive icon.

If you do not have a CD/DVD you can use Rufus with the Puppy iso file to create a bootable USB flash drive.

#10 smjrhp1

smjrhp1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2015 - 01:33 PM

dicke

Thanks for your help.

JohnC_21

Great, I'll give it a try.

Jim

#11 smjrhp1

smjrhp1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2015 - 12:26 PM

JohnC_21

Thank you for introducing me to Puppy.

I'm going to learn how to work with this.

I was able to access all files with it.

Win 7 also correct the ext HD and it works now.

Again, Thank you.

Jim

#12 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,019 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2015 - 12:30 PM

Your Welcome. Glad you got your data back and Windows was able to correct the errors on the external hard drive.

#13 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,196 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2015 - 01:23 PM

:thumbsup: what he said :thumbsup:

Dick E

0 user(s) are reading this topic