Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Deleting earlier versions of MS Visual C++ & MSXML stuff

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 pantherapardus4

pantherapardus4

• Members
  • 141 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:24 PM

Posted 31 March 2015 - 01:51 AM

Hi, I have a bunch of programs that seem outdated, but I want to check before deleting them. 

Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 ATL Update kb973923 -x64 8.0.5072734053

Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 ATL Update kb973923 -x86 8.0.5072734053

Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Redistributable

Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Redistributable (x64)

Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Redistributable (x64)

Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 ATL Update kb973924 -x64 9.0.30729.4148

Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 ATL Update kb973924 -x86 9.0.30729.6161

etc. for several more 2008 things, then two 2010 Redistributables

also,

MSXML 4.0 SP2 (KB954430)

MSXML 4.0 SP2 (KB973688)

MSXML 4.0 SP3 Parser

MSXML 4.0 SP3 Parser (KB2758694)

Secunia told me that Microsoft SML Core Service 4.X was "End of Life," so I installed MSXML 6.0, but it's not showing up on my Programs & Features list.  I haven't re-run Secunia after doing that.

btw, Secunia lists

Microsoft .NET Framework 2.x, 2.x (64-bit), 3.x, and 4.x (all up-to-date)

whereas Programs & Features only shows

Microsoft .NET Framework 4 Client Profile.

OK, what can I do?

Thanks!

Until we extend our circle of compassion to all living things, humanity will not find peace. ~Albert Schweitzer, The Philosophy of Civilization

Windows 10, Firefox, avast! Free Antivirus, Windows Defender, Spyware Blaster, SpywareGuard, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware, Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,683 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2015 - 07:38 AM

Hi pantherapardus4 :)

These programs are essentially libraries, frameworks, etc. needed by programs to run: Microsoft programs, third-party programs. They are what we can call "prerequisites" and without them, some programs might stop working or not work properly. Since they don't take a lot of space on a system and are critical for programs to function properly, I suggest you to leave them be and not to worry about them.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#3 pantherapardus4

pantherapardus4
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 141 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2015 - 09:52 AM

So just to be sure I understand correctly: even the ones from 2005 are part of this library?

Until we extend our circle of compassion to all living things, humanity will not find peace. ~Albert Schweitzer, The Philosophy of Civilization

Windows 10, Firefox, avast! Free Antivirus, Windows Defender, Spyware Blaster, SpywareGuard, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware, Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit

#4 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,683 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2015 - 09:56 AM

Even the ones from 2005 are part of these libraries and are used, yes.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#5 pantherapardus4

pantherapardus4
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 141 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2015 - 09:58 AM

OK. Thanks so much for the info!

:)

#6 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,683 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2015 - 10:01 AM

No problem :) There's a Wikipedia article on the MSXML programs if you want to read it to understand it better, here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MSXML

And here's a few links showing questions about the Microsoft Redistributable packages and their answers:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/e55213da-c158-4d6f-9977-d56ac2a848fc/why-are-there-multiple-versions-of-microsoft-visual-c-libraries-on-my-computer?forum=w7itproappcompat
https://askleo.com/do_i_need_these_microsoft_visual_c_redistributables/
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-windows_programs/multiple-microsoft-visual-c-redistributable/0608a19a-38a8-4885-9eb4-128a2bfad0a3

unite_blue.png

#7 pantherapardus4

pantherapardus4
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 141 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2015 - 12:40 PM

Goodness.  I usually try to find answers in the places they're supposed to be (MS for MS questions, etc), but I didn't bother this time.  (I find MS forums to be of little help, usually).  Thanks again!

#8 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,683 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2015 - 12:41 PM

No problem panther, have a good day :)

unite_blue.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users