Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Installed GTX 980 graphics Card computer crashes on ultra settings

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 ultramankiller

ultramankiller

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:51 PM

Posted 30 March 2015 - 07:53 PM

Edited to make easier to understand

PART 1: PRE factory reset

I bought a gtx 980 graphics card (From a gtx 560) and installed it in my computer. My brother and my friend said that I should wait to uninstall the old drivers till I have the new graphics card installed and working to make it easier. I did this and when I installed the new graphic cards drivers, I could not find the 560 drivers. I figured that the updater just removed old ones and installed the new ones. I continued to play on and start up Battle field 4. In the game I got in and put the graphics to Ultra settings. It would kick me out of the game to begin with and give me some driver errors. I figured it was because I still had these old drivers on my computer. I was unable to locate said drivers so I decided why not just factory reset my computer. I did so (With the new graphics card still installed on MOBO)

PART 2: Post factory reset

I got all my drivers installed and made sure they were all updated to latest versions from the manufactures website. I then continued on to try and play Battle Field 4 again. I started the game up on ultra settings and could play for about 3 minutes and then my computer would get a black screen. I was like okay... So I had to turn computer off from button on case and start it back up. I tried it again and got the same problem, but this time I got a green screen. Both times I got no error reports or anything. I called up EVGA and they asked if I had tried to unplug and then replug the card into the MOBO. So that is what I did. Now when I would run a game at Ultra settings instead of getting a black screen, my monitor would run through the video cables like it lost the graphics card then go to sleep. I wouldn't be able to wake it back up so I would have to shut the computer off. (Fans on graphics card were running at this point before shutting computer down.) I started the computer back up with the case off and tried to play a game again. I was able to get through a few games of COD on ultra settings and a partial game of BF4 before the computer crashed again. I thought hmmm maybe my Computer is overheating? So I downloaded HWmonitor from CPUID and started BF4 back up again in windowed mode to look at the temps. I saw that my CPU was reaching temps up to 90 C (My CPU is water cooled with a asetek 550lc). I got really nervous, but the computer didn't shut down so i closed out of the game. I got a box fan and placed next to opened computer and turned it on max. Waited a bit and got back in. The cpu got up to around 74 C this time. I thought I figured my problem out... then the computer shut down again.

Some Information to know:
Windows 7
I have a Xtreme Gear 800 watt power supply 
CPU is water cooled (Made sure to dust, fan was running, pump was moving, and water was flowing.)
I don't have any fans on my case other than the radiator for the water cooling.
I have run a Memtest and it came back with no errors.
I installed WhoCrashed and it reported back with my graphics card drivers being the reason for 6 dumps. (Even though on latest driver.)

Any help would be nice, 
Addison

Attached Files

Edited by ultramankiller, 31 March 2015 - 04:56 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,049 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2015 - 08:44 PM

I read where that board can run hot, note that about two years ago.  Are you running enough/decent case fans?  Just read that 90 was OK max, was stated as 104 the chips max.           

Edited by OldPhil, 30 March 2015 - 08:47 PM.

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#3 ultramankiller

ultramankiller
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2015 - 08:46 PM

I read where that board can run hot, note that about two years ago.  Are you running enough/decent case fans?              

I don't have any fans currently, but I have the side of my case off with a box fan blowing into it. 

#4 Malavio

Malavio

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:51 AM

Posted 30 March 2015 - 09:18 PM

Have you tried running the game at a lower graphics level setting, starting at the lowest and moving up from there to it shuts you down again? Is it only happening when you try to run the games on it?

#5 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,049 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2015 - 09:22 PM

I Googled you chips temps they are above so it seems you are OK, grab a couple of fans.  Do one in one out some I know have four.

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#6 ultramankiller

ultramankiller
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2015 - 09:30 PM

Have you tried running the game at a lower graphics level setting, starting at the lowest and moving up from there to it shuts you down again? Is it only happening when you try to run the games on it?

I havent, I just noticed I can play games on low, but when I go to ultra my computer crashes. I can do pretty much anything else though besides play games on anything above low I think.

#7 ultramankiller

ultramankiller
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2015 - 09:32 PM

I Googled you chips temps they are above so it seems you are OK, grab a couple of fans.  Do one in one out some I know have four.

52 degrees was read from bios from start up. I download HWmonitor from CPUID and it says They are around 62-65 degrees C. All i have open are internet tabs. 

#8 Malavio

Malavio

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:51 AM

Posted 30 March 2015 - 09:33 PM

I do wonder if it is a temperature issue that is affecting your system. The fans will help if your case is capable of supporting it. Have your tried other monitors our an HDMI connected tv?

#9 ultramankiller

ultramankiller
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2015 - 12:29 PM

I do wonder if it is a temperature issue that is affecting your system. The fans will help if your case is capable of supporting it. Have your tried other monitors our an HDMI connected tv?

My cpu is water cooled so putting more fans in my computer won't help. And I haven't got any other monitor to use.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users