Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Does a full offline installer for firefox exist?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 3,048 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:53 AM

Posted 30 March 2015 - 07:27 PM

Shortly I'll be getting a new computer and i have foreseen a problem, let me explain. The way i get my internet connection whenever i put a new device onto it i must first take that device through a sort of login page, that's the best way i can describe it. One plugs in the ethernet cable, the default browser opens up and a page loads where one has to log in to one's "account" and then that device is able to use the connection with no further trouble or logins needed. Or if the deafult browser doesn't automatically load you have to put in a particular URL to get to the login page.

On a new machne this will happen when the computer has:
A: no antivirus running, you can't properly install that or even update windows defender until you have a working connection.
B: a windows operating system which is months behind on updates until you have the connection so can start downloading them.
C: one browser, an insecure one called internet explorer which is moths behind on it's updates.

The login page sometimes displays adverts from bleep knows where.

I have an exe file for installing firefox, but it's only 200-300 kilobytes and i know all it does is go online and then download the material it really needs for the install, so this won't be able to work until after i have the connection set up.

Does anyone know of an offline installer for firefox which i can download on another machine, transfer across by USB or cd-rw and then use to install firefox on the new machine. That way i would atleast have one up to date and safe browser at the moment the new machine first goes online, and i would have a secure browser with which to get the connection working so i can then start updating everything else including windows and installing my antivirus (which is another program with an online installer of the type firefox has, so although you might have it's installer exe file on USB you need to be connected for that exe file to actually perform the installation.).

Also: anyone know of a way to really LOCK DOWN internet explorer (as in prevent all flash and other plugin content) for extra safety at this stage? It's easy to disable plugins or make them "ask to activate" and "click to play" in firefox or chrome but i can't find how with internet explorer.

Thanks

Edited by rp88, 30 March 2015 - 07:29 PM.

Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 iangcarroll

iangcarroll

• Members
  • 658 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:53 AM

Posted 30 March 2015 - 07:38 PM

http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/firefox/releases/latest/win32/en-US/

Just don't download the stub.

Ian Carroll https://ian.sh • Certly Inc

Member of the Bleeping Computer A.I.I. early response team!

#3 rp88

rp88
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3,048 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2015 - 07:52 PM

Thank You, what about the version for 64 bit machines?

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#4 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,264 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:53 PM

Posted 31 March 2015 - 05:45 AM

rp88.....you can get a 64 bit version but you should read more about it. The 32 bit version is what is presently fully supported.

See info in link below. Be sure to read all before deciding.

Download Firefox 64-bit - For Windows 8.1 / 8 / 7 - Downloadx64.com

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#5 rp88

rp88
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3,048 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2015 - 09:23 AM

Ok, i had assumed that 64 bit devices needed the 64 bit version. I run a 64 bit windows machine now, i just looked under program files and firefox is within Programfiles(x86) indicating it must be 32 bit on this device already. 32bit should work just fine for me then. Thank You.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users