Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Shared Internet Connection Problem Connecting to the Internet

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 freedave

freedave

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:31 AM

Posted 30 March 2015 - 06:27 PM

I know very little about networking, so I would appreciate very novice level answers.

I have a fairly good computer running Windows 7 with 16 gig RAM.

I am sharing an internet connection with a friend in another room -- we live in a small apartment building with a wi-fi modem and router in the laundry room.  There is a wire connecting the router to a splitter (switch) in my friend's room and a long cable connecting my computer to the splitter.    

His computer has no problem connecting to the internet, but when I re-start my computer it does not usually connect to the internet.  

The internet connections have to be unplugged from the splitter, often several times, before my internet works.  

I had bought a new long cable to see if that might fix it -- it did not.

This has been going on for at least a year and seems to be getting worse.

How might I find out what the problem is and how to fix it?

Any help would be appreciated . . .

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2015 - 09:49 PM

the switch/splitter in your roommate's room, did one of you buy it? how long have you had the wire going to your PC? how long has this been going on, the reboot and not connecting?

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#3 freedave

freedave
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2015 - 10:00 PM

Thank you very much for getting back to me on this, CaveDweller2.

I did not buy the switch/splitter, so I am assuming he bought it.

I think I have had the wire going to my PC for about a year -- maybe longer.

I think the reboot and not connecting has been going on almost as long -- I'm not sure that it has ever completely not been that way -- the problem has seemed to increase . . .

#4 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2015 - 01:28 AM

If I am reading this correct, you don't do anything to your PC to get it to reconnect? You unplug the cable from switch and plug it back in, some times several times. 

If yes you don't have to do anything to your PC, it's a little experiment time: Unplug your cable and plug it into the port your roommate's is plugged into and plug his into the port yours was plugged in. If the problem follows you, it's time for a new cable. If the problem switches to his, that port might be bad.

For the new cable and if you're in the US - http://www.monoprice.com/Category?c_id=102&cp_id=10232&cs_id=1023215 that is 100ft  but on the left are shorter lengths. Whatever ya need. Monoprice has great prices on the longer lengths.

My experience is once a port goes bad on a switch, it's time to get another one. No need to pay a huge price.

I'd be remiss if I didn't mention - the setup you described seems that everyone is on the same network. Meaning you could ping and possibly log into other people's PCs and vice versa. Unless the switch is actually a router and if not, it should be. Unless there is some sort of security setup through the apartment, you need to be careful 

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#5 freedave

freedave
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2015 - 01:41 PM

Thank you again, CaveDweller2.

Yes, I don't do anything to my PC to get it to reconnect.

We unplug all the cables from the switch and then plug mine back in, some times several times, until I have internet access -- then we plug his in.

The experiment I actually just did was to unplug all the cables from the switch and then plug mine back in to every port, each time checking whether or not I could connect to the internet.

I could not connect via any of the ports, but then when I plugged in the rest of the cables I was able to connect to the internet.

My friend has tried various different arrangements of cables -- he never has a problem -- I often have a problem -- it appears to be somewhat unpredictable -- right now my VOIP phone connection is not working, no matter how or where it is plugged in. 

One person seemed to think that power line adapters would handle it.

Do you think one of these -- NETGEAR Powerline (XAVB1201) 200Mbps Starter Kit - Powerline 100 -- total cost $31.99 on Amazon -- would solve the problem?

I have to check regarding the security aspect.

I'm looking forward to hearing from you . . .

Dave

Edited by Queen-Evie, 31 March 2015 - 02:23 PM.
deleted unnecessary quote

#6 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2015 - 01:42 AM

The experiment I actually just did was to unplug all the cables from the switch and then plug mine back in to every port, each time checking whether or not I could connect to the internet.

I could not connect via any of the ports, but then when I plugged in the rest of the cables I was able to connect to the internet.

So it never would work if plugged in all alone? Weird. Can you tell me the make a model of the switch? Is it powered? How long is the cable? 

Powerline networking is a bit hit or miss. 

#7 freedave

freedave
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2015 - 04:11 AM

So it never would work if plugged in all alone? Weird. Can you tell me the make a model of the switch? Is it powered? How long is the cable? 

Powerline networking is a bit hit or miss. 

I am not saying it would never work if plugged in all alone, but that is what happened yesterday -- I tried all five ports.

TRENDnet 5-Port 10/100 Mbps Fast Ethernet Switch, TE100-S5/AS

I think it must be powered -- it has a separate wire in addition to the cable ports.

The cable to my computer is 25 feet.

It appears that it may be inconsistent in whether or not it connects and what will make it connect . . .

#8 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:31 AM

Posted 01 April 2015 - 10:11 AM

What equipment is this switch connected to?

If you have just your pc connected to the switch and the switch is connected to the wall /router do you get internet?

#9 freedave

freedave
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2015 - 11:22 AM

What equipment is this switch connected to?

If you have just your pc connected to the switch and the switch is connected to the wall /router do you get internet?

Thank you for getting back to me on this, Wand3r3r.

The switch is connected to a Bright House wifi router in a laundry room directly outside my apartment.

Yesterday I tried unplugging all cables from the switch and then connected the ethernet cable for my PC into each port in the switch -- none of those ports connected me to the internet.

Then I plugged all the cables in and was connected to the internet -- I have no idea why.

But then my VOIP phone service stopped working -- when I dial a number I get a recording that says the IP address is not available -- I have tried switching ports for that without success.

So I currently have internet but no VOIP phone service.

Hoping for a solution . . .

Dave

#10 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2015 - 04:22 PM

Then I plugged all the cables in and was connected to the internet -- I have no idea why.

You must have the cable from the router to the switch plugged in. Or you have no physical path to the internet.

my VOIP phone service stopped working

I take it this is a wired phone connection?  It will need to be plugged into the switch also.

By the sounds of it either the internet connection, the router or the switch is having problems.  Does your room mate have the same issues you do?

#11 freedave

freedave
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2015 - 07:31 PM

You must have the cable from the router to the switch plugged in. Or you have no physical path to the internet.

Yes, I realized that I did not have the cable from the router plugged in.

my VOIP phone service stopped working

I take it this is a wired phone connection?   Yes -- ethernet cable.

It will need to be plugged into the switch also.

I also realized that my VOIP phone service stopped working because the ethernet cable came out of the VOIP device.

By the sounds of it either the internet connection, the router or the switch is having problems. 

I just ordered a NETGEAR 5-Port Gigabit Desktop Switch - Essentials Edition (GS205) from Amazon -- the switch we have been using is 10/100 Mbps

Does your room mate have the same issues you do?   No.

I appreciate your help, Wand3r3r -- any other suggestions?

Dave

Dave

#12 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2015 - 08:06 PM

Have your room mate try the cable you use for your PC, see if it does the same. If you've gone ahead and ordered a new switch, you might as well order a few new cat6 cables as well. 

I wouldn't worry about the security till this is taken care of but do not forget to look into it.

#13 freedave

freedave
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2015 - 10:36 PM

Thanks again, CaveDweller2.

It would be a bit difficult for him to try that because of the positioning of the cable.

But I have a cable I was using before I got the current one -- he could try that one.

Also, someone advised me on how to change to a static IP using ipconfig -- I followed his instructions, but after doing it, I had to unplug and plug back in my internet cable before I had internet access . . .

Dave

#14 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2015 - 10:00 AM

Putting static ip is only done if there is a question/concern the routers dhcp server isn't working.  Your room mate has no issues so this does not appear to be the case. 

Is your roommate plugged into the same switch you are or directly to the router?

#15 freedave

freedave
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2015 - 10:38 AM

Putting static ip is only done if there is a question/concern the routers dhcp server isn't working.  Your room mate has no issues so this does not appear to be the case. 

Is your roommate plugged into the same switch you are or directly to the router?

Thanks for letting me know about that, Wand3r3r.

Yes, my roommate is plugged into the same switch I am.

I hope to have a cable test done this evening and have the new switch sometime tomorrow . . .

Dave

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users