Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Modem question

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Gunny3053

Gunny3053

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:05 PM

Posted 30 March 2015 - 05:03 PM

Hi Gang

I did not see modem listed here but you answer questions on everything else, so here goes. I am sure someone will boot me off if this is in the wrong place or if no one can answer my question.

I have  this friend that has this old  modem a D-link DSL2320B, and being it is very old can someone tell me if this can be used wirelessly, there is only one Ethernet connection on it.  Reason for asking is he just bought one of these Asus all in one computers, and I want to connect it wirelessly if I can, being his router has only one Ethernet connection, and that is being used by his other computer

Thanx........Gunny

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• 13,998 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:05 AM

Posted 30 March 2015 - 05:29 PM

The forum choice is fine, and the modem has no wireless capability of its own. The computer can be connected via Ethernet or USB, but not both at once.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#3 Gunny3053

Gunny3053
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2015 - 06:15 PM

Hi Plat

Hey thanks for the info that is what I thought. Maybe you can answer one more thing, on most wireless things like the all in one, is it best to connect them wired first, than go wireless. ? Or is this step nec.

Thanx....Gunny

Edited by Gunny3053, 30 March 2015 - 06:29 PM.

#4 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,324 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:05 PM

Posted 30 March 2015 - 06:17 PM

You could pick up a cheap router to make it easy to add additional network devices and add wireless.

#5 Gunny3053

Gunny3053
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2015 - 06:31 PM

Hi Kilroy

Ya I have plans to do that, but what about my question. ?

Thanx....Gunny

#6 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,313 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:05 AM

Posted 30 March 2015 - 07:01 PM

It all on depends on the router. If you buy one off the shelf from Amazon, Newegg, whoever, it's simplest to set up the router first by USB. By this I mean change the access password, the SSID (if you want to - mine is 'Begonia') and set-up security on it. Once you have these details set up, you can connect any computer wirelessly to the network simply by pointing at the SSID and applying the security code.

If you get one from your ISP, at least in the UK, they normally come with an alpha-numeric SSID and WPA-PSK security already set, with the SSID and the codes printed on a label on the back or on a detachable plastic card and you can connect wirelessly from the word go, no need for cables.

The reason why I changed the SSID ?  The ISP I use has at least four other customers within range of me and it makes picking mine out from the crowd much easier, and besides, I like flowers !

Chris Cosgrove

#7 Gunny3053

Gunny3053
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2015 - 08:13 PM

Hi Chris

Hey thanx for the info. I too like flowers, that is great.  Good explanation. It is strange when you hear so many diff things from people and read on the Internet about wired and wireless connections.  It used to be said that a wired connection was faster than wireless and more secure, but I don't think that pertains to this any more.  One is probably just as good and the other.  I think it is easier to connect wired, that is just my personal experiences. Ya the router I will be using is one off the shelf. I have 2 or 3 of then sitting on the shelf collecting dust, so I will dust one of them off and give it to him.

Thanx....Gunny

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users