Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unmountable Boot Volume

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Jacksmoon27

Jacksmoon27

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:49 AM

Posted 30 March 2015 - 03:40 PM

How to fix the “Unmountable Boot Volume” error.

I have a Gateway Laptop Model MX 6121 that’s quite a few years old (I’m not sure exactly but it’s definitely more than 7 years old).

Recently I have encountered the error screen “Unmountable Boot Volume” that prevents me from booting my computer.

I’ve read numerous solutions and the closest I’ve come to solving the problem involved downloading a Windows XP ISO and creating a boot disk. I boot from the disk and once the program has finished loading I get a screen that says this:

The following list shows the existing partitions and unpartitioned space on this computer.

Use the UP and DOWN ARROW keys to select an item in the list.

To set up Windows XP on the selected item, press enter.

To create a partition in the unpartitioned space, press C.

To delete the selected partition, press D.

38155 MB Disk 0 at Id 0 bus 0 on atapi [MBR]

C: Partition1 [Unknown]                         38146 MB <38146 MB free>

Unpartitioned Space                                8 MB

I choose “C:” and I hit enter. Then I get to a screen that says this:

An error occurred while Setup was updating partition information on:

38155 MB Disk 0 Id 0 on bus 0 on atapi [MBR].

Setup cannot continue. To quit Setup, press F3.

There are no other options so I press F3 and I get to one final screen:

Windows XP has not been installed on this computer. If there is a floppy disk in drive A:, remove it.  To restart your computer press enter.

Windows XP has been installed on the computer so I don’t understand that final message. Do I need to buy a hard drive repair program? Should I buy an actual Windows XP installation disc? Or are there other ways to fix the problem?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,130 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:49 AM

Posted 30 March 2015 - 03:55 PM

That screen is all wrong...that's the screen that one gets after selecting the option to install XP.

Before that...you should get an option to repair or to install new or to install over existing XP install.  See Option 2 at http://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/314058 .

Once you press R, you should get a screen where you must type 1 for install to be repaired, hit Enter.  For the password line, just press Enter.

Then you need to type chkdsk /r and hit Enter.  Chkdsk /r is the typical command to overcome Unmountable Boot Volume errors in XP.

Unmountable Boot Volume - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555302

Louis

#3 Dashing_star

Dashing_star

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:49 PM

Posted 01 April 2015 - 02:38 AM

If it be the connector cable problem then replace the 40-wire cable with an 80-wire UDMA cable.
If it's a BIOS settings problem then  load the 'Fail-Safe' default settings, and then reactivate the most frequently used options such as USB Support.

If it's a damaged file system case then:-
1.Insert the Windows XP CD-ROM into the CD-ROM drive, and then restart the computer. 

Click to select any options that are required to start the computer from the CD-ROM drive if you are prompted.

2.When the "Welcome to Setup" screen appears, press R to start the Recovery Console.

3.If you have a dual-boot or multiple-boot computer, select the installation that you must access from the Recovery Console.

4.When you are prompted, type the Administrator password. If the administrator password is blank, just press ENTER.

5.At the command prompt, type chkdsk /r , and then press ENTER. 

6.At the command prompt, type exit , and then press ENTER to restart your computer. 

This takes a bit longer, but the system should boot back into Windows.

#4 kc06601

kc06601

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:49 AM

Posted 12 April 2015 - 03:13 PM

I have a Dell computer and unfortunately do not have a Windows XP set up disc ... how do I go about getting one as I have the notorious "blue" screen that states unmountable boot volume ... I am not very good with computers so would need basic step by step procedures to help me fix this please.\

Thanks.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,130 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:49 AM

Posted 12 April 2015 - 05:57 PM

FWIW:  http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3518/t/19505940 .

The Dell Diagnostics should determine whether it's a hard drive problem...or a file system/file problem.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users