Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Reinstall Drivers causes Failed Startup

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Paul Olsen

Paul Olsen

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:55 AM

Posted 30 March 2015 - 03:10 PM

Hi All,

A couple of nights ago my computer crashed, and wouldn't restart again.  It would get as far as the windows splash screen and would freeze just prior to displaying the desktop.  Turning off the system and rebooting prompted me to begin Startup repair which I did, however startup repair completed without finding any issues.  I can boot in in safe mode, and tried to install Malwarebytes to check for infection, but it wouldn't run.  A friend suggested I reinstall windows, as I had already backed up all my data, and I figured starting fresh would be a good idea anyway.  I have the disks for OS and Drivers so went ahead, but for some reason the DVD drive wouldn't recognize a disk in the tray, so I copied the disks to an external HD and ran the setup from there.  The process completed, and Windows booted to Desktop normally, albeit missing a number of drivers.  I copied to drivers disk to HD and began installing drivers begining with the Video drivers, restarting after each one.  However, as soon as I had installed the first driver, the pc would fail on boot again.

I am not that computer savvy, and probably shouldn't have been messing around with it in the first place.  From what has happened so far, is my problem likely to be a hardware issue or malware/virus?  I am "nearly" at the point of taking it to a tech person, but only if there is no "reasonably" simple fix

Windows 7 Pro SP1

HP Probook 4530s

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 PanickyD

PanickyD

• Members
  • 343 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:55 AM

Posted 31 March 2015 - 01:02 AM

Did you do a CLEAN install?

If you did, and the laptop boots fine, download the latest drivers from here and use them instead of the driver disc. You may have to install the network adapter driver off the disc so you can get online first, unless, of course, you have another computer to work from. I always do chipset drivers first, then video, then the rest. Since the laptop started failing immediately after the video driver install, it sure seems suspect, but doesn't rule out a hardware issue either.

After the game, the King and the Pawn go into the same box...

#3 Paul Olsen

Paul Olsen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2015 - 08:59 PM

Hi Panicky

No I didn't do a clean install, but have done that now - harder said than done, as the CD drive wasn't working, so had to create a bootable flash drive which was all new to me.  www.pcsupport.about.com had a very good walkthrough for the entire process which was perfect for me.

Anyway, the clean install went well.  I installed the chipset drivers from your link, and rebooted ok.  Just after this was completed, windows update prompted me to update.  I noticed there was a display adapter update available, so installed that update, which installed drivers for Intel HD graphics 3000.

When I enter Device Manager, Display Adapters lists HD Graphics, plus Standard VGA Graphics Adapter which has a troubleshoot icon next to it.  I know I shouldn't have but right clicked and selected update driver, which then listed it as Radeon Adapter, did a restart and the boot froze again.  I Started back into safe mode and disabled that driver, and rebooted - all ok.

I figure I should just now work through the drivers on your link, which I will do tonight.  Do I need to install ALL of the drivers listed?

#4 Paul Olsen

Paul Olsen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2015 - 06:41 PM

I have narrowed the issue down to the graphics adapter of which there are 2 listed in the device manager.  The first is an Intel HD 3000 adapter, for which I installed the lasted driver from Intel. PC started ok after this.  I couldn't figure out which driver to use for the other adapter, so installed from the HP disk, which then listed the Device as Radeon Graphics.  The computer wouldn't start again, so booted into safe mode and uninstalled the driver.  I then searched for Radeon and found an AMD Catalyst driver, which after installing, killed the startup again.  Should I be uninstalling the Intel Graphics first, or will this make no difference, and should I assume the Radeon Graphics device is dead?

#5 PanickyD

PanickyD

• Members
  • 343 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2015 - 12:56 AM

You've certainly got the problem narrowed down to the Radeon video card. Did you get the driver directly from AMD? If not, download their driver and give that one a try. I doesn't make any difference in which order you install video drivers. If the issue persists, I think it's safe to say there's a problem with the Radeon card. If the fan on it failed, for instance, the chip could have easily overheated and killed it. That's just one possible failure scenario, but a common one. If you're not a gamer, the HD3000 will likely suffice. Since it's not that easy to remove it from your laptop, just disable it in Device Manager and be done with it.

And no, you do not need to install all the drivers listed on HP's site, only the ones relevant to your system. That list includes all the drivers and additional software for all the different versions of the 4530s that they produced. As long as there are no more yellow triangles in Device Manager (except the Radeon adapter), then you should be fine.

Edit: If you're not sure exactly what hardware is in your system that still needs drivers, there's a fairly easy way to find out. Let me know if you're having trouble deciding/finding the proper drivers.

Edited by PanickyD, 02 April 2015 - 01:05 AM.

#6 Paul Olsen

Paul Olsen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2015 - 01:03 AM

Yes I got the driver from their website. It would make sense that the problem has been a cooked adapter, as I was gaming at the time, though with graphics settings at minimum.
If nothing else, I have learnt some new skills, and am not bothered about having to reinstall Windows if I ever have to again. Thanks for your help Panicky

#7 PanickyD

PanickyD

• Members
  • 343 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2015 - 01:34 AM

Your welcome! That video card can be replaced, but it's not a job for the faint of heart! Here's a video on an entire dis-assembly procedure. Hope all goes well for you if you give it a try. I've taken apart several laptops, but this one looks trickier than most.

Regarding your first post, had you not "messed around with it", you would have been out some money, and not learned a thing! Good job, Paul!!

Edited by PanickyD, 02 April 2015 - 01:39 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users