Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Removing bloatware from a new windows 8.1 computer

• Please log in to reply
74 replies to this topic

#1 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 3,060 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:51 PM

Posted 30 March 2015 - 03:02 PM

I am looking to buy a windows 8.1 laptop (to dual boot windows 8.1 with linux mint but that's another thread) and wanted some advice about uninnstalling the bundled stuff that comes preinstalled on machines. I have narrowed my choice of laptop down to 5 types described as follows:

LENOVO G50 15.6" Laptop

LENOVO G70 17.3" Laptop

HP Pavilion 15-p245sa 15.6 Laptop

HP 15 Laptop, Intel Core i3, 8GB RAM, 1TB, 15.6"

Lenovo G70 Laptop, Intel Core i3, 4GB RAM, 1TB+8GB SSD, 17.3"

I have also looked at the websites of the shops which i plan to buy from and below i have listed all the bloat which is preinstalled onto the machines at the time of sale(the lists contains some repeats as it lists all the things which might be on any of the laptops):

McAfee Trial
Lenovo Companion
Lenovo Support {is this a recovery program or some sort of bloat in disguise?}
Lenovo VeriFace Pro
Lenovo One-Key Recovery {is this a recovery program or some sort of bloat in disguise?}
Amazon Kindle Metro
Zinio Metro
Evernote Metro
Lenovo Camera Man
Lenovo Photo Master
Foxit PhantomPDF Express for HP
mysms
Netflix
TripAdvisor
HP Connected Photo
HP CoolSense
HP ePrint
HP SimplePass
Microsoft Office 365 Home Premium 30-day trial {I'll be using open/libre office for windows in it's place}
McAfee Internet Security 30-day trial {I'll be using avast in it's place as the antivirus on the "windows half" of the machine}
OneKey Rescue Entertainment {is this a recovery program or some sort of bloat in disguise?}
Lenovo Cloud Storage by SugarSync
VeriFace Pro
Zinio Online Newsstand
Amazon Kindle for PC Multimedia
YouCam
McAfee
Amazon Kindle
Zinio
Evernote
Lenovo Companion
Lenovo Support {is this a recovery program or some sort of bloat in disguise?}
Lenovo VeriFace Pro
Lenovo One-Key Recovery {is this a recovery program or some sort of bloat in disguise?}
Lenovo Camera Man
Lenovo Photo Master
CyberLink Media Suite
CyberLink PowerBackup {is this a recovery program or some sort of bloat in disguise?}
Evernote
Mahjong
mysms
Netflix
TripAdvisor

I have placed comments and thoughts next to some of the items in curly brackets.
Is any of the bloatware here REALLY HARD to uninstall? Can it all be done from the windows control panel or must the user download uninstallers from online? Also do any of these provide important features, perhaps things like drivers for various pieces of hardware? I also know about the superish scandal recently, but i have heard lenovo is no longer doing this, are dangerous pieces of adware of that type uninstallable from within the windows control panel? Are there any other forseeable problems with removing preinstalled unwanted programs from a windows 8.1 machine?

Should i immediately run minitoolbox, FSS, CCleaner or JRT when the machine is new?

I don't have the machine yet but am looking for advice now, I will have the machine within a few days.

Thank You

Edited by rp88, 30 March 2015 - 03:03 PM.

Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:09:51 AM

Posted 30 March 2015 - 03:50 PM

Bloatware that I know for sure which can be safely uninstalled:

Lenovo Companion  http://lenovodev.com/deploy/companion-app.html
McAfee Trial (it's free to try for a certain period of time, usually 30 days, then they will want you to purchase)
Amazon Kindle Metro
Zinio Metro
Evernote Metro
Microsoft Office 365 Home Premium 30-day trial
OneKey Rescue Entertainment (this is a kid safe browser)
HP Connected Music
HP Connected Photo
HP CoolSense
HP ePrint
HP SimplePass
Skype (if you are not going to use it. If you change your mind you can install the lastest version)
Evernote
Zinio Online Newsstand
Amazon Kindle for PC Multimedia
YouCam (if you are not going to use the built in web cam)
McAfee
Amazon Kindle
Zinio
CyberLink Media Suite
CyberLink PowerBackup (no it is not recovery program. It is a back up program you can use to back up your system)
Mahjong
mysms
Netflix
Solitaire
TripAdvisor

Lenovo One Key Recovery: what it is http://support.lenovo.com/us/en/downloads/ds033364 Up to you whether to keep it and uninstall it.

The rest I am not familiar with. Someone else may be able to tell you about them.

When you want to remove the bloatware you can either uninstall them one by one OR use PC Decrapifier available for download here
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/search/?keyword=pcdecrapifier

Check everything you want to uninstall and let it do its thing.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 30 March 2015 - 04:05 PM.

#3 rp88

rp88
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3,060 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2015 - 07:18 PM

If i go for one of the lenovo types then it looks as if the "one key recovery" thing might be worth keeping then. regarding youcam, i probably won't be using the webcam, would it work at all without this or is this a piece of software which does things critical to thre function of that particular part of the hardware, kind of like containing the drivers for the camera or something. The rest looks like it is totally unnecessary to me.

You say that you know all the ones you have listed are easy to remove, by that do you mena they go without a fuss from uninstalling using control panel-->programs and features or do thye need you to be online whilst uninstalling, especially the mcafee because I know antivirus and security products are generally hard to uninstall and totaly remove the remnants of.

The ones you say you don't know enough to comment on are:
Lenovo VeriFace Pro
Lenovo support
Lenovo Camera Man
Lenovo Photo Master
Lenovo Cloud Storage by SugarSync

Can you give any further tips for removing bloat from brand new machines? Are there many pieces of bloatware which are as hard to get rid of as malware? What about any preinstalled adware, should this be easy enough to get rid of just in the same way as other programs?

Edited by rp88, 30 March 2015 - 07:18 PM.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#4 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 30 March 2015 - 07:37 PM

When I bought my mother a Compaq the first thing I did after getting it set up was uninstall the bloatware. I did this BEFORE it got hooked up to the modem and online.

I also did the same thing when I got my HP laptop.

The process both times was easy to do and it all went bye bye without a fuss.

So no, you do not have to be online to uninstall it.

For the McAfee, uninstall it and when you get online install your choice of antivirus. If necessary you can run the McAfee removal tool after you get online. This will minimize the time you are without an AV.

What I suggest is using PC Decrapifier and you will have to be online in order to download and install it. Check everything you want it to remove. Get it all done in one shot instead of having to go back and forth to Add Remove.

Yes, you can uninstall You Cam without affecting other programs and computer function.

Also, if I reinstall Windows 7 on my HP laptop and it gets put back to factory conditions it puts the bloatware back on the laptop. The first thing I do is install Eset, the 2nd thing is I get rid of the bloatware.

#5 rp88

rp88
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3,060 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2015 - 07:40 PM

Regarding PC decrapifier, does it do anything the user cannot, like installing things which won't go by the normal methods, or does it just automate the uninstallation process to save the user a few clicks? Thanks

#6 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2015 - 07:58 PM

For lack of a better word, it automates it.

Like I said, whatever you check will get removed so you don't have to go back and forth to Add Remove programs.

The choice is yours which method to use.

#7 rp88

rp88
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3,060 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2015 - 08:12 PM

Thanks for your advice Quenn-Evie. I'll probably do it the manual way, If I run into any issues with anything which won't go I'll post back here what in particular it is and what I've done but failed with.

Can you give any other useful tips about setting up new windows computers?

Edited by rp88, 30 March 2015 - 08:13 PM.

#8 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,313 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2015 - 06:43 AM

It would be a good idea to check for Superfish on any Lenovo. Simply run the uninstaller provided in the link below...if it is there it will be removed...if not, then it will tell you.

SuperFish Uninstall Instructions - Lenovo Support (US)

Yes, run programs to remove adware, too. Programs such as AdwCleaner, MBAM, Eset Online Scanner and Junkware Removal Tool.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#9 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,681 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:51 AM

Posted 31 March 2015 - 07:32 AM

Can you give any other useful tips about setting up new windows computers?

Install all your Important Windows Updates. Make sure you check for them manually until none are found. Install your latest graphic card drivers, it'll help you in the long run. Disable the Start-up programs and services you don't need (so you start with what you want and not what the manufacturer wants you to start with). Install an Antivirus, Antimalware, Firewall, etc. (in short, your security programs). Install the "default" programs you need/use like Adobe Flash Player, Adobe Reader, Java, Microsoft Office, VLC, etc. Finally, install your own programs. Once you're done with the installation, you might want to re-check your start-up entries. This is pretty much what I start with.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#10 rp88

rp88
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3,060 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2015 - 09:20 AM

Thanks for the tips Aura.

#11 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,750 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2015 - 04:27 PM

PC De-crapifier is a program designed to identify unwanted junk and crap software typically shipped with new computers and provide recommendations on what should be removed.

For other programs you don't recognize or know whether they are worthwhile to keep or be removed, use Should I Remove It?.

Bleeping Computer's Uninstall Programs Database is a place where you can conduct a search of programs. Doing this is a good way to learn for yourself what you have, want or don't need.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#12 rp88

rp88
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3,060 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2015 - 04:57 PM

Thanks for the links quietman. The fact is though I'm more concerned about pieces of junk being tricky to get rid of than the matter of identifying what is junk, the latter should be easy. Useful links to have though, they might well prove useful if there s anything that isn't so clear cut.

#13 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2015 - 05:17 PM

The junk is not hard or difficult or tricky to get rid of. You are making a mountain out of molehill.

The programs will uninstall easily with no problems.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 31 March 2015 - 05:17 PM.

#14 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,750 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2015 - 05:22 PM

Preinstalled software is not uncommon and what you consider junk...others may not. Trial versions of anything should be the first to go BEFORE the trial expires.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#15 rp88

rp88
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3,060 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2015 - 05:23 PM

That solves this then, Thank You.

My apologies for simulating the actions of continents approaching each other from opposite sides of a shallow sea, and forming those "mountains".

By this time tomorrow I'll have got rid of all the bloatware, and see how pointless a worry this was.

Edited by rp88, 31 March 2015 - 05:24 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users