Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

RAM Questions

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 dher490

dher490

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:40 PM

Posted 28 March 2015 - 08:30 PM

Mod Edit:  Split from http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/570502/ram/page-0 - Hamluis.

Citizen and 1PW... I have a similar question. I should know the answer and believed I did until today. But here's the short story. I have a gigabyte GA-F2A78M-D3H motherboard and I bumped the existing 8gb RAM (Elpida, 2x4gb DDR3 1333, PC3-10600) up to 16gb using Crucial Ballistix (2x4gb SPORT, DDR3 1600, PC3-12800). I put the Crucial in Channels 1 and 3 and I put the Elpida in channels 2 and 4. The motherboard supports DDR3 2133/1866/1600/1333 MHz memory modules. I have a couple of questions...

1- Obviously, do you see any possible challenges for me using this combination? If so , what would be the best way to "mix" these sticks, if at all?

2- Are there any dramatic lasting negative or destructive issues that might occur if I used this matchup for gaming, high end computer use, long term, etc.?

If so would it be more appropriate to upgrade to the Crucial Ballistix DDR3 1600 or would you recommend staying at the DDR3 1333 that came stock with the motherboard and add an additional 8gb of that series?

Chipset AMD A78, Processor is an AMD A10 6800K APU with Radeon HD graphics. GPU is an AMD Sapphire Toxic R9 270X 2gb RAM, Power Supply is a Rosewill 850 W.

Any suggestions/help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Edited by hamluis, 30 March 2015 - 02:29 PM.
PM sent new OP - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 1PW

1PW

• Members
  • 316 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2015 - 09:27 AM

Hello dher490:

In order to avoid very rare, and hard to identify, timing entanglements, I make a conscious effort to match the new upgrade with the old arrangement. Therefore in my mind you could have saved just a few dollars by going with an additional pair of PC3-10600 sticks. However, the upgrade to 16GB is a fine choice and allows for undefined future RAM demands

IMHO your system will probably not give you any trouble with the arrangement you have upgraded to. With new RAM I do like to see a successful overnight test with Memtest86+ v5.01, although the ultimate test is normal operation with a regular workload.

HTH :)

All viruses are malware but not all malware are viruses and if the malware doesn't self replicate it just isn't a virus.

#3 dher490

dher490
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2015 - 12:45 PM

Thanks 1PW!

I'm writing this on my laptop. I kept the desktop computer up and running all night with a little load on it to ensure the RAM took. First check this a.m. and there were zero obvious conflicts. I'm imagining the Memetest86+ will give me more detail so I'm going give it a go with that. Thanks for the recommendation.

My intention is to get two more sticks of the Crucial Ballistix (2x4gb SPORT, DDR3 1600, PC3-12800) and replace the stock sticks (Elpida) with them within the month (personal budget "allowance"...). I just couldn't afford it this time around and thought I'd run it with the mixed RAM. I will say I had some problems with the mix earlier yesterday but only because I initially had their channel placement incorrect. I fixed that last night and now it looks like all's well (knocking on wood).

Either way, I'm going to run the Memtest86+ overnight tonight and if all goes well, run with that mix through next month until my next "budget review".

Thanks for your prompt, insightful and very helpful response! Stay safe!

Dher490 :)

#4 dher490

dher490
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2015 - 09:25 PM

Edited by dher490, 30 March 2015 - 04:52 PM.

#5 1PW

1PW

• Members
  • 316 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2015 - 10:31 PM

Hello dher490:

That's unfortunate.

Please let us know how things work out in the end.

Thank you.

All viruses are malware but not all malware are viruses and if the malware doesn't self replicate it just isn't a virus.

#6 dher490

dher490
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2015 - 10:45 PM

Edited by dher490, 30 March 2015 - 04:52 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users