Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can I load Linux only onto a 3 yr old Dell Laptop

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 xie2007

xie2007

• Members
  • 92 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:26 AM

Posted 30 March 2015 - 01:37 PM

Trouble getting the Dell Recovery disks for Windows 7 and I need to replace the HD 

Is this ok? a good idea?

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,946 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:26 AM

Posted 30 March 2015 - 02:07 PM

What are the computer specs? If it ran fine on Windows 7 there should be no problem running a linux distro like Ubuntu or Linux Mint but there should not be a problem getting Recovery Disks from Dell. They are usually free under Warranty and a small nominal charge if out of warranty.  Did you talk to a live person at customer support?

http://www.dell.com/support/contents/us/en/19/category/Contact-Information/Customer-Support

#3 xie2007

xie2007
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 92 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2015 - 02:29 PM

yes, I talked to a live person and they were talking like $100 my dell has 8 gb mem, it s a 64 bit Windows 7 OS out of warranty 

thank you

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,946 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2015 - 02:49 PM

That is an outrageous price for a set of recovery disks just because the computer is out of warranty. It costs Dell next to nothing to make those.

You can run a live CD/DVD or each and see if it meets your needs. Some you can look at.

Ubuntu

Linux Mint Cimmaron

Deepin

Edit: Your laptop should run linux very well with 8GB. Good Luck.

Edited by JohnC_21, 30 March 2015 - 02:50 PM.

#5 xie2007

xie2007
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 92 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2015 - 03:54 PM

ok , im doing it! tired of Windows anyway 

once best buy installs my new hd 

thank you

#6 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,604 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2015 - 06:56 PM

Trouble getting the Dell Recovery disks for Windows 7 and I need to replace the HD 

Is this ok? a good idea?

Thanks!

Yes on Linux, it should run nice in that pc.  I assume you know you can run it Live to test drive a linux OS.  

You can get windows 7 iso and make a disk if you have a "product key" here: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-recovery  I don't know much about this and this is the linux forum, so continue the w7 conversation in the appropriate forum.  Then you could dual boot with linux-why not it's free and just another tool to have around, or just go with linux it is up to you.  It would be very helpful if you get your Serial number and model and find out exactly what you got there and post it here.

My personal suggestions for linux beginner would be LinuxMintMate or Cinnamon to start out, run them Live to see what you like, here is the linuxmint site User Guide PDF's that walk you through an install of linuxmint just choose your language.  http://www.linuxmint.com/documentation.php  Same thing as John suggested but direct to the UserGuide.

JohnC_21 gave some good info as to other options also, read up.  I think linuxmint is the best for noobs.  If you are adventureous and a fast learner you might go with MintKDE-17.1 of the same, explore that site as much as possible and don't hesitate to ask questions here.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#7 xie2007

xie2007
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 92 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2015 - 09:50 AM

I tried with Dell again and got frustrated again with it and them when i hit the wall - I bought the machine in Hong Kong 3 years ago and this complicates the issue more than it should 

I am getting my new HD installed and then I ll be loading Linux - already got it on my USB and was gonna try it on my new Windows 8.1 but I ll just wait for a fresh HD on my old machine and see how it goes- I used the Ubuntu link and gave $2 cause I m  a believer 

#8 bmike1

bmike1

• Members
  • 596 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:26 AM

Posted 31 March 2015 - 01:46 PM

Giving money to the cause is noble indeed. I give money when I can to linuxmint (my operating system), the debian project (without debian there would be no ubuntu or mint or pleuterau of other operating systems), and to libre office for their noble work. I think I'll give to The Gimp too next time I do it.

Of course Linux will run on a Windows7 computer. They've ported GNU/Linux (this is the way it should be stated. Linux is the kernel of the operating system <engine> while GNU are the rest of the programs that make the operating system work) to be able to run on most of EVERYTHING produced since the nineties.

Edited by bmike1, 31 March 2015 - 01:54 PM.

A/V Software? I don't need A/V software. I've run Linux since '98 w/o A/V software and have never had a virus. I never even had a firewall until '01 when I began to get routers with firewalls pre installed. With Linux if a vulnerability is detected a fix is quickly found and then upon your next update the vulnerability is patched.  If you must worry about viruses  on a Linux system only worry about them in the sense that you can infect a windows user. I recommend Linux Mint or, if you need a lighter weight operating system that fits on a cd, MX14 or AntiX.

#9 xie2007

xie2007
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 92 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2015 - 01:48 PM

i m learning 

#10 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members