Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 Won't Install

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 joebeaven

joebeaven

• Members
  • 419 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:37 PM

Posted 30 March 2015 - 01:00 PM

Hi,

I'm trying to install Windows 7 Enterprise on my computer, but I'm unable to do so. On the page that lists the partitions, it says: "Windows cannot be installed to disk 0 Patition 1 (Show details)".

If I click on "Show details", it says: "Windows cannot be installed to this disk. The computer's hardware may not support booting to this disk. Ensure that the disk's controller is enabled in the computer's BIOS menu.

I have formatted the hard drive in NTFS format.

Here are the components of my computer:

CPU: Intel Core i7 i7-4790K CPU (Quad Core 4GHz, Socket H3 LGA-1150) 
Motherboard: MSI Z97 PC MATE ATX LGA1150 
Memory: Team Vulcan 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 750 Ti 2GB WINDFORCE
Case: NZXT Source 210 Elite (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case 
Power Supply: XFX TS 550W 80+ Gold Certified ATX
Hard Drive: 1TB Western Digital Caviar Black

Please can someone suggest how I can stop this from happening and install Windows?

Thank you,
Joe

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,854 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:37 PM

Posted 30 March 2015 - 01:12 PM

Well...what's the origin of this Win 7 Enterprise?

Is it a download?  If so, from where?

Louis

#3 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,657 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:37 PM

Posted 30 March 2015 - 01:43 PM

BC may lock the thread because Enterprise is only installed on Company computers with a Volume License. Is this being done on a company computer?

I think the main problem is you are trying to install Windows 7 on a UEFI computer and the HDD is formatted MBR. You need to initialize the disk as GPT and then do the install. When you get to the first install screen press shift+F10 to get a command prompt. At the prompt type the following.

Diskpart

list Disk

Select Disk 0      This is if you only have one disk. Substitute the appropriate number for your HDD

clean     this will delete any partitions you have

convert GPT   Initialized the disk as GPT

exit

Now try the install. You may need to alter the install disk in order for it to boot UEFI. But, it seems you have successfully booted your Windows 7 install with UEFI enabled.

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/186875-uefi-unified-extensible-firmware-interface-install-windows-7-a.html

Edited by JohnC_21, 30 March 2015 - 01:44 PM.

#4 joebeaven

joebeaven
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 419 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:37 PM

Posted 31 March 2015 - 09:34 AM

Thanks for the advice. It didn't fix the problem, but it is working now. I'm not sure what I did to fix it, but it's running fine.

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,657 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:37 PM

Posted 31 March 2015 - 10:17 AM

Thanks for the update. Did you by chance change a setting in BIOS? It would be enabling Legacy which allows Windows 7 to be installed on an MBR partition. Anyway, I am glad it got it sorted out.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users