Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Good internal HDD test?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 kram314

kram314

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:26 PM

Posted 30 March 2015 - 12:48 PM

I can get Ultimate Boot to boot properly, but now it doesn't see my hard drive. Any UEFI friendly internal hard drive testing software out there? I don't want to pop my computer open and void the warranty.

Thanks

-Mark

Edited by hamluis, 30 March 2015 - 01:02 PM.
Moved from Win 8 to Internal Hardware - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:26 PM

Posted 30 March 2015 - 01:00 PM

Hello there,

You can see this post for links to download and use SeaTools for DOS.

Regards,
Alex

#3 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,024 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2015 - 01:11 PM

Some OEM's have build in Diagnostics. HP's is accessed by tapping Esc and Dell by tapping F12. You may have to disable Fastboot or Quickboot. Is the drive detected in UEFI? The Ultimate Boot CD has Parted Magic in the menu which may pick up the drive. Start that and use GsmartControl which is on the desktop of Parted Magic. It could also be labeled Disk Health.

Failing that you can download the latest Ubuntu or Mint iso and use it with LinuxLive USB creator to make a bootable USB flash drive with persistance. Boot that and download Gsmartcontrol from the Ubuntu Software Center. Then run it .  You need to disable SecureBoot in order to boot the USB flash drive and disable Fastboot/Quickboot if available.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,608 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:26 PM

Posted 31 March 2015 - 01:32 PM

Please download and install Speccy to provide us with information about your computer.  Clicking on this link will automatically initiate the download. 

When Speccy opens you will see a screen similar to the one below.

speccy9_zps2d9cdedc.png

Click on File which is outlined in red in the screen above, and then click on Publish Snapshot.

The following screen will appear, click on Yes.

speccy7_zpsfa02105f.png

The following screen will appear, click on Copy to Clipboard.

speccy3_zps1791b093.png

In your next post right click inside the Reply to Topic box, then click on Paste.  This will load a link to the Speccy log.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 kram314

kram314
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2015 - 02:01 PM

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/mfbxvyyEMh0EqrGO08Y6Mwd

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,608 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:26 PM

Posted 01 April 2015 - 02:19 PM

I don't see any indication in the S.M.A.R.T. attributes that there is a problem with the C: drive.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#7 kram314

kram314
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2015 - 02:53 PM

I didn't say there was anything wrong with the hard drive. I was hoping to test the hard drive outside of Windows, while the drive is still in the system.

Edited by kram314, 01 April 2015 - 02:53 PM.

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,887 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:26 PM

Posted 01 April 2015 - 05:09 PM

FWIW:  http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/28744/hard-drive-installation-and-diagnostic-tools/

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users