Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Fresh Install- 1:57 Boot Time STILL slow & NOT Removable- Soluto

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 upsidedown8

upsidedown8

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:28 AM

Posted 30 March 2015 - 10:28 AM

Specs are HP ProBook G1 with i5 processor and 8gb ram.

Running Windows 7 Pro

I bought this for my mom and it was an open box. Didn't seem to run real smooth out of the box but it's been months and can't return it and it's a sharp unit but the boot was slow. Runs great after fully booted. Went ahead and did a clean install to see if it fixed it but I'm still getting a slow boot time. I used Soluto and this is what I'm seeing and I don't know where to go from here. They all look like system files that can't be removed.

I've already disabled all I can from MS Config (services, startup and boot)

• I've done sfc /scannow
  • I’ve run disk cleanup
  • I can boot in safe mode and it works awesome
  • I have several other laptops running Win7 Pro with lesser specs (core i3) and they boot much quicker <40
  • Other things that I've done were selected "No GUI Boot", changed timeout seconds from 30 to 3

Any other thoughts? Is there any chance a hardware issue could be the problem? Also, there is nothing connected (usbs, etc...)

Soluto shows 37 "REQUIRED" at 1:35 seconds

Windows Services Group (svchost -netsvcs) sec22.5
System sec16.7
Windows Services Group (svchost -localsystemnetworkrestricted)sec10.1
Windows Services Group (svchost -networkservice)sec6.3
Windows Explorersec5.9
Client Server Runtime Process (csrss.exe)sec4.5
Solutosec4.0
Presentation Font Cache (presentationfontcache.exe)sec3.5
Services and Controller appsec3.5
Windows Services Group (svchost -localservicenetworkrestricted)sec2.8
Windows NT Logon Applicationsec1.7
Windows Start-Up Application (wininit.exe)sec1.2
Windows Wireless LAN 802.11 Extensibility Framework (wlanext.exe)sec1.2
Windows Services Group (svchost -DCOMLaunch)sec1.1
Desktop Window Manager (dwm.exe)sec1.0
Windows Modules Installer (trustedinstaller.exe)sec0.9
Windows Problem Reporting (wermgr.exe)sec0.8
Windows Services Group (svchost -localservice)sec0.8
Windows Services Group (svchost -localserviceandnoimpersonation)sec0.6
Windows Services Group (svchost -localservicenonetwork)sec0.6
WMI Provider Host (wmiprvse.exe)sec0.5
Print Spoolersec0.4
Host Process for Windows Taskssec0.4
Microsoft Windows Search Protocol Host (searchprotocolhost.exe)sec0.3
Visual C# Command Line Compiler (csc.exe)sec0.3
Windows Services Group (svchost -DCOMLaunch)sec0.3
DCOM DLL host processsec0.3
Microsoft Windows Search Filter Host (searchfilterhost.exe)sec0.2
Console Window Host (conhost.exe)sec0.2
CTF Loader (ctfmon.exe)sec0.2
Microsoft Synchronization Manager (mobsync.exe)sec0.2
Bluetooth Support Servicesec0.1
Windows Error Reporting Servicesec0.1
Task Scheduler Engine (taskeng.exe)sec< 0.1
Local Session Manager Service (lsm.exe)sec< 0.1
WMI (unsecapp.exe)sec< 0.1
Microsoft Resource File To COFF Object Conversion Utility (cvtres.exe)sec

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,646 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2015 - 05:31 PM

So you are saying it takes under 2 minutes to boot and then runs well? I strongly suggest you leave it as it. It makes no difference how long it takes to boot.

#3 upsidedown8

upsidedown8
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2015 - 06:14 PM

2 minute boot times aren't that common (at least on my 6+ pcs)...even on a 5400, a clean install should not be acting like this.

#4 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

Bleeps with the fishes...

• Members
  • 2,355 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2015 - 07:17 PM

Install 7 on an SSD, it's blazing fast. You'll never go back to a "Spinner"

SSD-rebooot.jpg

How did you clean re-install? A retail copy or OEM DVD, Factory restore? Did you remove all the HP OEM Crapware? What AV installed? 3rd party Firewall? A lot of unanswered questions.

Using msconfig to permanently disable start-ups is not a good idea IMO. See qm7's excellent post here, including 3rd party tools. I prefer using Autoruns

MSConfig (System Configuration Utility) is a troubleshooting utility used to diagnose and fix system configuration issues. In the Summary section Microsoft says "The System Configuration utility helps you find problems with your Windows configuration. It does not manage the programs that run when Windows starts."

Although it works as a basic startup manager, msconfig should not be used routinely to disable auto-start programs. It is a temporary solution and not a good practice for the following reasons:

• When uninstalling programs while disabled with msconfig, they may not be uninstalled properly and manually editing the registry will be required to remove everything.
  • Msconfig will often leave orphaned entries when software is uninstalled. When used to switch back to normal startup mode, these orphan entries can result in boot up errors.
  • Msconfig only allows you to disable entries. To completely remove an entry from its' list you have to edit the registry, or use a third-party tool like Msconfig Cleanup Utility or a startup manager.
  • Msconfig allows malware related items to hide in your registry which you may not see or affect your computer until switched back to normal startup mode. This could then result in reinfection of the computer.
  • Msconfig does not list all applications loaded in all possible startup locations (some entry points are hidden and unknown to the user).

HTH.

Edit: I tried Soluto a long time ago & was unimpressed. To be fair it was still in Beta at the time. YMMV.

2nd Edit: A good Optimization guide: http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/11728-optimize-windows-7-a.html

Edited by Union_Thug, 31 March 2015 - 08:32 AM.

#5 upsidedown8

upsidedown8
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2015 - 05:41 PM

The factory discs that came with it

All junk from HP is gone

AVG

No 3rd party

As far as Soluto, I have never used it prior to this. I was more curious about detailed boot activity is the only reason.

Obviously a SSD would be ideal, however, this is not solely the spinner in my opinion.

#6 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,238 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:28 PM

Posted 31 March 2015 - 07:25 PM

Could be a system driver issue... many network services taking much longer than usual.

Edited by TsVk!, 31 March 2015 - 07:30 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users