Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Internet Exporer problems

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 terryco

terryco

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:01 AM

Posted 30 March 2015 - 05:23 AM

I have Windows 7 Premium, 32 bit with Service pack 1. My Internet Exporer 11 started flashing on and off and closing down. I tried Microsoft Fixit but it found no problems.I uninstaled 11 and thought i would revert back to Internet Exporer 10. This also didn't work properly so i reinstalled it and got an error message Code 9c48.The Home page starts but all the top part of Exporer 10 is missing, I looked in Uninstall programs and view installed updates and there is no Entries for Microsoft Internet exporer so i cannot uninstall it. I typed intp google "What version of Internet Exporer am i running" and it comes back as "Youre not using Internet Exporer" I have tried Microsoft Updates to reinstall 11 without luck. It states unable to finnish instalation.I have also tried offline instalation. If anyone can help me here as its doing my head in. Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,567 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:01 AM

Posted 30 March 2015 - 11:44 AM

Please download MiniToolBox  , save it to your desktop and run it.

Checkmark the following checkboxes:
  List last 10 Event Viewer log
  List Installed Programs
  List Users, Partitions and Memory size.

Click Go and paste the content into your next post.

Also...please Publish a Snapshot using Speccy - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic323892.html/page__p__1797792#entry1797792 , taking care to post the link of the snapshot in your next post.

Louis

#3 terryco

terryco
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2015 - 07:21 AM

Thank You. I hope i've added the attachments correct.

Attached Files

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,811 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:01 AM

Posted 31 March 2015 - 08:47 AM

Re-install IE11, then click on the Start orb startorb_zpsvudtmgfg.png, then click on Default Programs.  Then click on Set your Default Programs and click on IE11.

Let us know if this works.  If it doesn't and you receive another error message, please post the exact message.

==========

As a future reference... 

You need to follow the instructions to create a hyperlink which will load to your topic.  You click on this link to open the Speccy Snapshot.

Please download and install Speccy to provide us with information about your computer.  Clicking on this link will automatically initiate the download. 

When Speccy opens you will see a screen similar to the one below.

speccy9_zps2d9cdedc.png

Click on File which is outlined in red in the screen above, and then click on Publish Snapshot.

The following screen will appear, click on Yes.

speccy7_zpsfa02105f.png

The following screen will appear, click on Copy to Clipboard.

speccy3_zps1791b093.png

In your next post right click inside the Reply to Topic box, then click on Paste.  This will load a link to the Speccy log.

You need to post the MiniToolBox in your topic.

Do not use a host website to post this.  Do not use quotes or wrap the MiniToolBox results in code.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:06:01 AM

Posted 31 March 2015 - 09:39 AM

If a version of Internet was installed by someone it will not be listed in the normal add remove programs.

Here is where you will find it:

Control Panel/Programs and Features.

Click View Installed Updates on the left side of the page.

Let all the updates load, then scroll down to the Microsoft Windows section. Look through the list for Windows Internet Explorer 11. You can then uninstall.

After you uninstall IE will be rolled back to a different version, which should be the one you used before installing IE11.
When uninstall is complete see if you can download.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,567 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:01 AM

Posted 31 March 2015 - 09:49 AM

FWIW:  http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/502376/windows-update-error-code-9c48/ .

Appears to be Windows Update/IE problem experienced by others.  I would go with the suggestions put forth by dc3.

Louis

#7 terryco

terryco
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2015 - 09:37 AM

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/2JAjNedV4AgwGlveVCycfYX

I tried to reinstall ie 11 but i got a message " Internet Exporer did not finish installing" and it left a troubleshooter helper on my desktop. I copied the link and opened it in Firefox. It showed pre requisites needed to install Exporer.. i tried downloading them but i have them allready. I clicked on set default programs and Internet Exporer isn't there. There's also no Internet Exporer in view installed updates. Looking at Speccy it states i have ie 10. If you can help i would be grateful Thanks

#8 Willy22

Willy22

• Members
  • 945 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:01 PM

Posted 02 April 2015 - 11:27 AM

- Your harddisk (C:) is in the first stages of failing. SMART values 05 & C4 are no longer at zero.

#9 terryco

terryco
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2015 - 02:06 PM

I have limited knowledge on the subject.. The PC is less than a year old. What do i do? Reset it to factory settings?

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,854 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2015 - 02:31 PM

I do not think you have too much to be concerned about on the hard drive. You have no Currnet Pending Sectors awaiting to be reallocated and you only had one Sector that was reallocated. Keep an eye on your Currnet Pending Sector count. If that or your Reallocated Sector count increases rapidly then the drive would be failing.  I would run the fixit here. Then try to Reinstall IE11.

#11 terryco

terryco
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2015 - 03:30 PM

Thanks JohnC21 I tried your suggestion and it said "Thank you for running an automated troubleshooter from Microsoft, We did not detect any problems and therefore no fixes were applied. It then says explore additional soloutions online. I cant open it as its Internet Exporer browser. Why is the only problem i am having is with Explorer. I have since installed Google Chrome and Firefox and updates with no problem. It seems there are several people having the same problem

Edited by terryco, 02 April 2015 - 03:31 PM.

#12 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,854 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2015 - 03:42 PM

The only problem I see with this scenario is you may now have a problem doing manual security updates. Does IE open when you click on Windows Updates under the Start menu? Otherwise, I would stick with Chrome and forget about IE.

You can try Windows All in one Repair but only check Repair Internet Explorer and nothing else. Reboot and see if that solves the problem.

#13 terryco

terryco
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2015 - 02:57 AM

Thank You JohnC_21. I click on Window updates and it shows 2. IE 10 and IE 11. None will finish installing. I tried Windows All in one repair and on rebooting, its much the same as it was The opening page MSN appears and goes blank. I can only close it from Task Manager Processes. It doesn't show in Applications. It looks like unless i do a reset to factory settings i'm stuck with other browsers. Thanks anyway

#14 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,854 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2015 - 07:41 AM

Try this utility but only check Repair Internet Explorer.

http://www.rizonesoft.com/software/complete-internet-repair/

If that fails open an elevated command prompt (CMD > Right click Run As Administrator) and type sfc /scannow

If it cannot fix errors type this at a command prompt and post the results of sfcdetails.txt

findstr /c:"[SR]" %windir%\Logs\CBS\CBS.log >"%userprofile%\Desktop\sfcdetails.txt

#15 terryco

terryco
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2015 - 08:48 AM

Thank You. The Utility didn't work. I typed Internet Explorer into Regedit and all it found was 2 entries. One was Default Reg_SZ Internet Exporer Add On Installer, and the other Load User settings Reg_Dword 0x0000001 (1) Here are the Scannow results

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users