Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New computer build...

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 mjl1297

mjl1297

• Members
  • 96 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:17 AM

Posted 29 March 2015 - 09:46 PM

Due to the recent demise of my nearly six year old Asus M4N82 Deluxe mainboard, it is time for a computer upgrade whether I wish it or not. My question concerns the following--

Is the GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3 board compatible with the Kingston HyperX Fury Series (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820104462) and the AMD FX-6300 Vishera 6-Core 3.5GHz Socket AM3+ processor (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819113286)

From all indications it appears to be. Also, since I'm not OC'ing, will it be okay to use the stock fan and heatsink (scraping off the attached thermal paste and replacing it with Arctic Silver 5 of course)?

Many thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Serpius

Serpius

• Banned
  • 121 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:17 AM

Posted 30 March 2015 - 05:51 AM

Due to the recent demise of my nearly six year old Asus M4N82 Deluxe mainboard, it is time for a computer upgrade whether I wish it or not. My question concerns the following--

Is the GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3 board compatible with the Kingston HyperX Fury Series (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820104462) and the AMD FX-6300 Vishera 6-Core 3.5GHz Socket AM3+ processor (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819113286)

From all indications it appears to be. Also, since I'm not OC'ing, will it be okay to use the stock fan and heatsink (scraping off the attached thermal paste and replacing it with Arctic Silver 5 of course)?

Many thanks.

MJL,

In my recommended upgrades, I have included a new power supply unit. Since I do not know what is your current PSU is, I am going to guess it is about the same age is the ASUS mainboard you are replacing. If so, it might be a wise decision to go ahead and replace the PSU as well. 

If you feel that you don't need it, then, just simply take it off the list.

CPU: AMD FX-6300 3.5GHz 6-Core Processor  ($93.95 @ SuperBiiz) 
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 ATX AM3+ Motherboard  ($113.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Total: $306.92
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-03-30 06:48 EDT-0400

Edited by Serpius, 30 March 2015 - 05:52 AM.

#3 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2015 - 07:28 AM

Both the motherboard, RAM, and CPU should work.  I don't overclock either, however, I use an aftermarket cooler to keep noise levels low.  The stock cooler is a bit loud.  Depending on which version of Windows you have, you may need to buy another license for it.  Regardless, you will need to reinstall Windows since you are replacing the motherboard.

Are you only replacing these components or are you going to be swapping out other hardware?

3939.png

#4 mjl1297

mjl1297
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 96 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2015 - 10:02 PM

Replacing the mainboard, cpu, memory, and psu. Ordered from Newegg (memory) and will order the rest from Amazon.

I modified the list above somewhat. I went with G. Skill memory. I tried ordering some components from Superbiiz.com but that turned out to be an unmitigated disaster. They put my items on backorder and didn't even have the courtesy to inform me. I wasted almost a week with them. Unethical company that won't get a second chance with me. Judging from some online reviews I have read this isn't an uncommon practice with them.

#5 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:17 PM

Posted 13 April 2015 - 06:03 AM

Hi mjl1297, sorry to hear about your experience with Superbiiz. I understand you were simply following Serpius's list and attempting to purchase from multiple retailers. Sometimes it can be more of a hassle to purchase from multiple retailers, just to get the lowest price on each components, as you have personally experienced with Superbiiz. Purchasing the majority of components from a single retailer is more convenient as you do not have to track the progress of multiple orders and the components will arrive the same time, meaning you can start building straight away. The list that was provided had 3 retailers, where your choice of purchasing most of the components, except for the memory is from Amazon and makes it a whole lot easier to order and less of a hassle. 

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#6 Serpius

Serpius

• Banned
  • 121 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2015 - 06:19 AM

Hi mjl1297, sorry to hear about your experience with Superbiiz. I understand you were simply following Serpius's list and attempting to purchase from multiple retailers. Sometimes it can be more of a hassle to purchase from multiple retailers, just to get the lowest price on each components, as you have personally experienced with Superbiiz. Purchasing the majority of components from a single retailer is more convenient as you do not have to track the progress of multiple orders and the components will arrive the same time, meaning you can start building straight away. The list that was provided had 3 retailers, where your choice of purchasing most of the components, except for the memory is from Amazon and makes it a whole lot easier to order and less of a hassle. 

Killer,

I would appreciate if you stop bashing my posts. You have made this a personal agenda against me.

For starters, you live in Australia which means you have very little knowledge of US based businesses.

I have ordered many items from SuperBiiz and never encountered an issue with them. It's unfortunate that mjl1297 went through those issues. He would have gotten similar issues with a host of other businesses that offer online ordering.

You mentioned Amazon, which have been notorious for misplacing wrong products in their orders.

Therefore, your statements are established on baseless assumptions and have no relevance to the topic at hand.

#7 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2015 - 07:21 AM

It may be possible to cancel the order at SuperBiiz for the backordered items and simply get them from another retailer. 

I've never used SuperBizz, but have used Amazon, NCIX, Newegg, and TigerDirect.  I've had good results from these, but with Amazon, you have to make absolutely sure you are ordering EXACTLY what you want.  If the item arrives and it doesn't match the description, contact Amazon and send it back, preferably unopened.  Of those other retailers, only TigerDirect has caused me issues recently.  But, keep in mind, I've been using them for years and it was my first problem with them, so it was a good run of flawless orders.

3939.png

#8 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,486 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2015 - 07:50 AM

Serpius, I find nothing wrong with the way killerx525 replied. He was not bashing your post at all, he was simply giving the OP some advice/his opinion on the matter which I found to be quite appropriate to help the OP. He was not being combative or negative towards you, his only aim seems to be to help the OP and have a happy user as an end result. Everyone is allowed to have an opinion and post advice. 

mjl1297, I would like to apologize for interrupting your topic.

Carry on everyone and keep it on topic. :) 

Edited by computerxpds, 13 April 2015 - 07:57 AM.

sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat on Discord too! |

#9 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,013 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2015 - 03:22 AM

I modified the list above somewhat. I went with G. Skill memory.

mjl1297, you'll have no regrets ordering GSkill RAM, as long as it's the correct for your system. It's the only brand that I've ordered since Black Friday 2011, the first being a 8GB RAM set for my notebook (4GB x2). Have ordered 5 sets since & had no issue whatsoever with their RAM & it's performance. 

Another plus is their Customer Service. On Christmas Eve 2014, I sent an email to GSkill asking about a 16GB set of their Aegis RAM compatibility with my PC, along with Speccy specs, and to my surprise, got an answer in less than 3 hours. Most any place else, the office would be throwing a celebration, like a few places that I was employed at. At any rate, that's true dedication to answer my question on that day. 

GSkill is a great brand of RAM, though not mentioned as a 'top dog' like other brands, not to worry, it'll perform just as well as those other big name brands. I'm running 32GB of their Aegis RAM in my main desktop. 

I hope that your build ends up meeting your expectations. :)

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#10 mjl1297

mjl1297
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 96 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2015 - 10:43 AM

I have another stick of G. Skill on the way. I did get a new EVGA 1000W 80+ Paltinum PSU. I will be switching out the stock heatsink and fan though for a Noctua unit. Even with Arctic MX4 the temps are a little too high for my liking.

Thanks everyone for your input.

Edited by mjl1297, 21 April 2015 - 10:44 AM.

#11 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2015 - 04:24 PM

I have another stick of G. Skill on the way. I did get a new EVGA 1000W 80+ Paltinum PSU. I will be switching out the stock heatsink and fan though for a Noctua unit. Even with Arctic MX4 the temps are a little too high for my liking.

Thanks everyone for your input.

I will assure you that the EVGA P2-1000W is a very nice power supply, as i have one myself. It is well built, while being dead silent when under heavy load and the beautiful paint coat they use to make it smooth looking.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#12 mjl1297

mjl1297
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 96 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2015 - 08:40 AM

I am not having any issues at the present time with the new build. The current BIOS is F2. Is there any real need to flash the BIOS to the latest stable version if I don’t require any of the improvements the later versions introduce? I’m a firm believer in the “If it ain’t broke don’t fix it” axiom is the reason I ask.

One thing I wanted to add about the Superbiiz debacle described above is that in addition to backrdering my merchandise without notifying me they also charged my credit card! No way to run a railroad gentlemen.

#13 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,178 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:17 AM

Posted 23 April 2015 - 11:05 AM

I am not having any issues at the present time with the new build. The current BIOS is F2. Is there any real need to flash the BIOS to the latest stable version if I don’t require any of the improvements the later versions introduce? I’m a firm believer in the “If it ain’t broke don’t fix it” axiom is the reason I ask.

One thing I wanted to add about the Superbiiz debacle described above is that in addition to backrdering my merchandise without notifying me they also charged my credit card! No way to run a railroad gentlemen.

"If it ain't broke don't fix" is good advice really.  If updating the BIOS doesn't fix any issues that apply to you, and it's working fine, then leaving it alone will be fine.  It's not like operating system updates that patch security issues - BIOS updates usually just add hardware support etc.  There are small risks associated with BIOS upgrades going wrong and making the computer inoperable.  I've been lucky and never had it happen to me (with perhaps 100's of updates), but it is possible.  Gigabyte motherboards often have a Dual BIOS feature supposed to protect against this.

7sbvuf-6.png

#14 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2015 - 07:02 PM

Bugger! Is it possible to discuss the issue with their customer support and hopefully get a full refund?

>Michael 

#15 mjl1297

mjl1297
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 96 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2015 - 07:22 PM

Bugger! Is it possible to discuss the issue with their customer support and hopefully get a full refund?

Oh it has all been sorted! I was just pointing out that no reputable or responsibly managed company processes your order, bills your card, and then puts it on backorder without telling you whilst communicating in their emails that the order is shipping the next day--that is they tell you that until they stop replying to your emails altogether. Mind you I'm not blaming Serpius for the recommendation; I'm just alerting folk in the forum about my experience.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users