Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How Do I Get Out Of Ms-dos Compatibility Mode

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 jonimp

jonimp

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:00 AM

Posted 30 June 2006 - 08:12 PM

Inherited a HP Pavilion xt953 desktop computer and it is always operating in Dos Compatibility Mode.
I was going to try and use the HP Recovery Disks to see if that would help, but cannot, as I was ill advised to delete any reference to Easy CD Creator and other CD and registry files - thus my CD drive is unavailable. My Device Manager shows no CD and the Floppy Disk Controller along with the Hard Disk primary and secondary Controller are showing yellow exclamation points. Anyone have any ideas or know of another forum that might be of help. Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2006 - 11:13 PM

Here is some info from MS that might help. Yes, your screwed up device drivers are probably the cause. Here is more from another site.

#3 jonimp

jonimp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2006 - 02:01 PM

Herk - Thanks for the input; much appreciated. It looks like I may be in over my head here, but I'll just go at it slowly. Your reference to "may have screwed up device drivers" interested me. What 'device drivers' might they be and where would one find them and install them, as my CD is not being recognized.

#4 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2006 - 05:10 PM

I was referring to the primary and secondary hard disk controllers in the Device Manager. No controller - no recognized disks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users