Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

First time system builder with virgin problems

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 McTeague

McTeague

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:37 AM

Posted 29 March 2015 - 12:56 PM

I recently built my first computer, intended to be a high-end gaming PC. The problem is, it's crashing constantly. Being as this is my first build, I've found myself over my head trying to figure out what is going on.

There seem to be two patterns to how my computer is crashing:

The first type of crash seems to happen exclusively when I am browsing the internet. I can play graphically taxing games like Wolfenstein or Sleeping Dogs Definitive Edition with visuals maxed out for hours on end without problems, but farting around online my computer crashes every few minutes. The screen goes blank but does not power down and the computer stops responding to input, but the fans on the processor/GPUs keep running. This problem occurs in multiple browsers (I tested IE and Firefox).

The second pattern is... more ominous? Once I got everything hooked up, my computer crashed with the signs of GPU failure. Specifically, the screen would become distorted with purple and white stripes like someone dropped an Iphone before crashing completely. Sometimes Windows would manage to generate an error report before the computer was done crashing, sometimes not. I recently updated all of my Video Card drivers, and this specific problem has only recurred once since then. I think it might be resolved, but I obviously don't really know what I'm talking about. Any advice here would also be appreciated.

My specs

Intel Core i7 4790K 4.0 GHz

2x crossfired Radeon R9 290X DirectCU II OC

MSI Z97-G45 Gaming Motherboard

2x 4GB Crucial Ballistix 1600mhz RAM

2TB WD Black @ 7200 RPM

Crucial M500 2.5 inch SSD 240 GB

HP dvd1265i 24X Multiformat DVD/CD Writer

Windows 8.1 64-bit

Dell S2415H Monitor

I have a 30GB partition on my SSD on which I store my OS; The rest of the drive is reserved for games with longer load times (I'm looking at you, Path of Exile). Everything else goes on the HDD.

If you need any more information, I'd be happy to oblige.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,602 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:37 AM

Posted 29 March 2015 - 05:02 PM

This can be tough to track down.  The first thing to do is strip the unit to bare bones and run diagnostics on the video, some is usually provided by the mfgr.  One step at a time, add the memory, then the second video.  The SSD  partition at 30GB isn't really big enough.  With WIN7 and all current updates, takes almost 45GB on my i5 Lenovo. 

#3 Serpius

Serpius

• Banned
  • 121 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:37 AM

Posted 29 March 2015 - 08:21 PM

I recently built my first computer, intended to be a high-end gaming PC. The problem is, it's crashing constantly. Being as this is my first build, I've found myself over my head trying to figure out what is going on.

There seem to be two patterns to how my computer is crashing:

The first type of crash seems to happen exclusively when I am browsing the internet. I can play graphically taxing games like Wolfenstein or Sleeping Dogs Definitive Edition with visuals maxed out for hours on end without problems, but farting around online my computer crashes every few minutes. The screen goes blank but does not power down and the computer stops responding to input, but the fans on the processor/GPUs keep running. This problem occurs in multiple browsers (I tested IE and Firefox).

The second pattern is... more ominous? Once I got everything hooked up, my computer crashed with the signs of GPU failure. Specifically, the screen would become distorted with purple and white stripes like someone dropped an Iphone before crashing completely. Sometimes Windows would manage to generate an error report before the computer was done crashing, sometimes not. I recently updated all of my Video Card drivers, and this specific problem has only recurred once since then. I think it might be resolved, but I obviously don't really know what I'm talking about. Any advice here would also be appreciated.

My specs

Intel Core i7 4790K 4.0 GHz

2x crossfired Radeon R9 290X DirectCU II OC

MSI Z97-G45 Gaming Motherboard

2x 4GB Crucial Ballistix 1600mhz RAM

2TB WD Black @ 7200 RPM

Crucial M500 2.5 inch SSD 240 GB

HP dvd1265i 24X Multiformat DVD/CD Writer

Windows 8.1 64-bit

Dell S2415H Monitor

I have a 30GB partition on my SSD on which I store my OS; The rest of the drive is reserved for games with longer load times (I'm looking at you, Path of Exile). Everything else goes on the HDD.

If you need any more information, I'd be happy to oblige.

McTeague,

I have to ask the question... did you install the Crossfire strip properly between the 2 cards? Improper installation can cause weird issues to come up.

After you answer this, we can proceed to assist you in your situation.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users