Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Connecting Win7 PC to a network of older PCs

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Tommy Wylie

Tommy Wylie

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:36 PM

Posted 29 March 2015 - 11:13 AM

I am trying to connect a Windows 7 computer to a network of older computers, but have so far failed to get it to connect.

The Windows XP computer (PC1) has two separate ethernet adapters... one onboard and the other on a PCI card. The PCI card connects to a BNC plug on a coax chain to various other computers, and uses the IP address 192.168.0.1.

A 10 base T lead is plugged into the other (onboard) ethernet controller, which has the IP address 192.168.100.1. The RJ45 is plugged into a hub, which appears to be in working order.

Also connected to the hub is another 10 base T lead which connects to the onboard ethernet controller on the Windows 7 PC (PC3), which has the IP address 192.168.0.3. Both sockets on the hub are lit up to indicate they have a connection. The RJ45 ethernet sockets on both computers are also lit, indicating that the cables are connecting properly. However, PC3 cannot see any network. Neither computer can ping the other, although they can both ping their own IP addresses and 127.0.0.1.

The CMD window on PC3 says "Media disconnected". As the cable is connected from both computers to the hub, I don't understand what this means. It also says Transmit failure. The only network PC3 picks up is "Unidentified network", which contains only PC3!

Diagnostics has failed to find the error. Troubleshooting the ethernet controller gives the time-worn phrase "This device is working properly".

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,391 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:36 AM

Posted 30 March 2015 - 04:33 AM

They can't ping each other because they are on different networks.

A 10 base T lead is plugged into the other (onboard) ethernet controller, which has the IP address 192.168.100.1.

and

Windows 7 PC (PC3), which has the IP address 192.168.0.3.

I don't know why you're getting the media disconnected message.  Did you make or buy the cables?  Are the cables known to be good?

#3 Tommy Wylie

Tommy Wylie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2015 - 07:08 AM

OK Kilroy thank you for your reply. Thanks to your advice I have had some success. I changed the IP address of PC1 to 192.168.0.101, and now PC3 can ping that address without any problem, confirming that the hub and cables are fine. However PC3 will not ping PC1 by the host name. Also I cannot ping PC3 from PC1. It says "Request timed out".

I have added PC3 (The Windows 7 computer) to "WORKGROUP" which is PC1's network, and now PC1 will list PC3 in that group in "My Network Places". I have successfully copied a test file to PC3 while sitting at PC1. However PC3 will still not show PC1 on the network. It seems PC3 can physically see the ethernet adapter on PC1 with the 192.168.0.101 address, but not the computer it is attached to.

So it seems, for the time being, I have a one-way network.

Attached File  PC3 network error 2.JPG   215.44KB   0 downloads

Edited by Tommy Wylie, 30 March 2015 - 07:35 AM.

#4 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,391 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:36 AM

Posted 30 March 2015 - 05:05 PM

Since you're manually assigning the IP address you're not going to be able to ping by name unless the name is in the HOST file with the IP address for the other machine or you have a device on the network handling DNS.

In order to see the computer you will have to have an account on the machine with the same name and password.

#5 Tommy Wylie

Tommy Wylie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2015 - 03:26 PM

OK thanks Kilroy, I got the computer networked although there are still issues. However I now have a worse problem to deal with after a Dynamic Disk became invalid.

Edited by Tommy Wylie, 05 April 2015 - 03:26 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users