Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Error code: ERR_SSL_VERSION_OR_CIPHER_MISMATCH

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 librarylottie

librarylottie

• Members
  • 95 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:17 PM

Posted 29 March 2015 - 10:15 AM

Hi

I did find one thread in a forum which seems to be asking about this error message - but it refers to Java updates.

I checked to see and we don't appear to have Java on our program list but we do have Adobe Flash Player 16NPAP1 and Adobe Flash Player 16 ActiveX.

Is this causing the same problem?

My husband cannot access his Company website as he gets this message since I installed Google Chrome as default browser.  Operating system Windows XP

Thanks in advance..........

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 iangcarroll

iangcarroll

• Members
  • 658 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:17 PM

Posted 29 March 2015 - 10:42 AM

Are you able to access other websites? Can you also tell me what service pack you're running on the machine?

Ian Carroll https://ian.sh • Certly Inc

Member of the Bleeping Computer A.I.I. early response team!

#3 librarylottie

librarylottie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 95 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2015 - 11:31 AM

Hi - I can get onto other websites with no problems. Unfortunately now my mouse seems to have given up on me so I'm having to reply via my android phone - the reason for the delay in replying. I don't know which service pack is running. Sorry - very new to all this. However I did have some tremendous support last week from Aura. I think the answer to your second question maybe on my previous thread which will be on Windows XP running slowly following download of AVG Tune up. I turned off our pc as I don't know how to use it without a mouse but will try to reboot later . I'm hoping you can help me via my smartphone in the meantime?

#4 iangcarroll

iangcarroll

• Members
  • 658 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2015 - 11:44 AM

Got my answer from the previous thread, thanks. It is likely the website you're trying to get to only supports SSLv3, which is an outdated security protocol that Chrome disables by default (IE does not). If you're able to get to it in IE, would you mind posting the site's domain/link here or via a PM?

#5 librarylottie

librarylottie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 95 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2015 - 11:57 AM

Hi - I have the url on this device so hope this is what you need?

https://www.alpinewines.co.uk/info

Thank you

#6 librarylottie

librarylottie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 95 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2015 - 04:20 PM

Hi - I have the url on this device so hope this is what you need?
https://www.alpinewines.co.uk/info
Thank you

Hi - sorry but saw you were offline and thought the time showing was 24hrs but it seems not.

Still on my smartphone which doesn't seem alert me of updates!

#7 iangcarroll

iangcarroll

• Members
  • 658 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2015 - 08:25 PM

That site uses an ECDSA certificate which Windows XP + Chrome and IE cannot handle. You will need to either upgrade your browser to Firefox or upgrade your OS. Upgrading your OS is the sensible choice as Windows XP will not receive security patches as it has hit its end of life period.

#8 librarylottie

librarylottie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 95 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2015 - 05:58 AM

Thanks IC - but I don't understand why this has only happened since we both used Chrome as our defaul browser?

We could access that site previously when we had Mozilla FF as my default browser on my side of windows and Google Chrome used by Ben, my husband, as the default browser on his side.

I followed all the instructions given so patiently by Aura and  and our PC was running back up to speed and I had installed Avast (free edition) Ghostery, WOT, and Adblockpro - the last I have since uninstalled as it didn't seem to work as it had on FF. 

One other thing I had done was to install an IE button for Shop and Scan - but then found I could still transmit to them via a new desktop app which I downloaded instead and then uninstalled the IE button.

:unsure:

#9 iangcarroll

iangcarroll

• Members
  • 658 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2015 - 07:14 AM

So your husband could previously access it but not now? It could be that this change was recently made to the website.

#10 librarylottie

librarylottie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 95 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2015 - 07:31 AM

Hi Ian

The company assures us that there has been no change and that all is ok their end. I still have the FF default on my desktop - I've just looked and one of the files in the folder refers to Chrome Bookmarks - which when I uninstalled FF would only have been on Ben's side of windows. 

What would you suggest I should do? I don't really want to re install FF as it was giving us problems when both were being used ...... :(

Also - I'm sorry for causing confusion by posting this problem in two forums  :blush:

#11 librarylottie

librarylottie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 95 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2015 - 01:23 PM

Hi Ian
I've just spoken again with Ben and he says the website is accessed from Chrome at the company's office. No other browsers are used.
I don't know if this is any further help or not?

#12 iangcarroll

iangcarroll

• Members
  • 658 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2015 - 01:28 PM

Are they using Windows XP on Chrome? Chrome itself is fine, but it with XP won't work because of the free certificate by CloudFlare used to secure the site.

I honestly suggest upgrading to Windows 7/8 if you can.

#13 librarylottie

librarylottie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 95 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2015 - 01:58 PM

H i :)

I'm afraid so - they use windows 8. It's just not possible for us to afford a new OS - in fact it would be better if we could afford a new computer - but as things are we cannot do that either.

I'm not certain what to do now - it is only occasionally Ben needs to access his website from home - it still seems odd that it all worked for a while and now it doesn't.

:smash:

#14 iangcarroll

iangcarroll

• Members
  • 658 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2015 - 06:24 PM

Whoever maintains the website activated CloudFlare's free plan with SSL which doesn't support XP. You could install Firefox and only use it to access that website.

#15 librarylottie

librarylottie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 95 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2015 - 10:18 AM

Hi Ian  :)

I seem to be having more problems now and the whole thing seems to be running slowly - with a message at the bottom saying waiting to resolve host ?? I also found that after I had logged on - bits of my emails were totally blank as though they weren't there - although I could see them ok on my Android phone. Could this be a virus of some kind or do you think it's because I've put too many things on and off the system?

I was really finding chrome faster and much easier - but now I'm wondering if I should re-install FF which I looked at doing before. 

Thank you very much for your help with the error code for the company website - it also now seems to be doing similarly on sites such as yahoo email.

Should I ask on another forum do you think?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users