Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP Pro loaded over Home (not by me) Pirates!

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 gpearman

gpearman

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:33 PM

Posted 29 March 2015 - 09:46 AM

Hey All:

My Grandson's Dell (Old POS) was loaded with A Dell OEM XP Pro over the original Dell XP Home. This box was given to him. He didn't do it. Someone who thought they knew (but didn't understand!) tried to "upgrade" to Pro. It won't validate and says he may be a victim of piracy (Duh!). So, I can go to the recovery and revert back to factory but is there a way to bring back his user state? It's backed up ( 3hours w/ redo). Can I restore his user settings, saved games and programs to the recovered OS? I'm trying to teach him the right way to do things but poverty bends scruples. I have USMT and AIK and am A+ Certified but never tried to reinstate a boy's games and settings after using the recovery partition. I'm looking for a more modern box but until then, this one will have to suffice.

Thanks

Gary

Edited by gpearman, 29 March 2015 - 09:48 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,833 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:33 PM

Posted 29 March 2015 - 01:21 PM

My understanding of the purpose and design of any recovery mechanism implemented by the system manufacturer...is that it restores the system to the time period first connected/used.

As for as restoring anything from the illegal install...that might not be too wise, even fi such were possible.  If whatever is on there...was not backed up...or no install media exists...I would have to wonder at how it was obtained, with a bent toward being suspicious of software illegally obtained via torrenting or some other mechanism.  Of course, the major risk (which many don't seem to recognize) with software/games obtained thusly...is the risk of malware.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users