Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ghost in the machine

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 buffy cool

buffy cool

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2015 - 07:26 AM

Hey all, I am new here. Hope some one here is a ghostbuster..😊where to begin. 2 days ago my pc which I use for editing on resolve etc started shutting down and turning itself on. First I thought it was the harddrive so tried to run repair but I could get past loading windows then it will shut if and turn on the whole loop will begin again. Then I used a new harddrive and I could load windows but I can start the computer in safe mode. So I though hey it must be the power supply. I replaced and still did it then I started checking everything with my computer tech savvy friend Nicky... And we when through everything ram graphics cards chip even flashed the bios. But still does it. Even with no hard drive we can't load a new windows even tried xp. Nicky is pretty tech savy and he is stunned. We can boot into bios and stay there as long as we want really. Cpu temp looks fine everything. Nicky says the only thing it can be is the mb. But my problem is my mb is socket 1155 and I can't replace the mb and buy a new cpu. Because I do editing my mother board was pretty high end and I had a look today only mb the still has the 1155 sockets is entry level. So want to be 100 present sure it is the mb before being stuck with a entry level mb . My computer specs . Mb gigabyt z68 p- da3. Ram vengeance 8 gb. Cpu I core 5 3.0 ghz. Graphics 660 gtx 3 gb overclocked. Power supply vantec 550. Raid max Sagitta case. 4 hard drive. Lg writer. That's about it.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Dolby

Dolby

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:02 PM

Posted 29 March 2015 - 09:12 AM

Sounds to me you are having critical errors due to errors on the Hard Drive Disk, & it is set to "automatically restart", instead of throwing up a "blue screen", which you should be able to get out of, (if that be the case), by pressing "escape" - 'esc' key". Soooo go to, Start → Control Panel → System →  Advanced Tab" → Startup & Recovery → uncheck "Automatically Restart". Under "Debugging", dropdown menu, select "kernel memory dump"  → check "overwrite any existing file" → OK. Now for chkdsk. Open "My Computer → RIGHT click C: drive → Properties → click "Tools" Tab → "Check Volume for Errors button" → check both boxes

1. "automatically fix errors"
2. "scan for & recover bad sectors"
click "start"
Displays message "cannot run disk
check because Windows needs
exclusive access to certain files,
blah blah blah & "do you want to
schedule a disk check for next time
you start your computer?"
click "Yes" & close everything & do a
normal restart as you normally do.

It will take an hour or more, make sure
you have power if its a laptop, not just
the internal battery. Ideally also plugged
into a battery backup if you have one,

(especially if it's a desktop PC).
You dont want the computer to die from
power failure, OR to turn it off, (unplug

it) - you can't turn it off while chkdsk
is running. That could cause your computer
to not boot again at all. When its done it
will automatically reboot. The malady should

be fixed, if not, you'll get a blue screen

instead of an "automatic restart". Hit "Escape" key

to get out of blue screen if it happens.

Hope this helps - Good Luck.

P.S. If you cannot do this because of the "Restart Loop" that you talked about, do it in "Safe Mode".

P.S.+ After chkdsk, it wouldn't be a bad idea to run "System File Checker" afterwards.

Hold "Windows" key, (the one with the "flag" & press "r" key, or "Start" → "Run" → type, "sfc /scannow" in the "RUN" box → "Enter", (Note the "space" between the "c" & the "slash"). Have your Windows disk on hand, (if you have one) before you start, so if a message keeps popping up asking for it, with an option to "Retry", keep on hitting "Retry" as many times as it takes until SFC is finished. If you have a D: drive (Recovery Partition), it probably won't ask for a disk as it will extract the needed files ifrom the D: drive.

Edited by Dolby, 29 March 2015 - 09:32 AM.

#3 buffy cool

buffy cool
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2015 - 09:29 AM

We already tried new hard drives we can't even get past the windows logo to install a fresh windows on a news hard drive...

#4 buffy cool

buffy cool
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2015 - 09:31 AM

O forget to say.. Today I can't get into safe mode anymore. Hangs on class pnp sys. Then switch of and on again

#5 Dolby

Dolby

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2015 - 09:38 AM

Did you try inserting the Windows disk → Shutdown → then Startup with the disk already in?

#6 buffy cool

buffy cool
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2015 - 09:50 AM

I can't get into windows at all so I put the disc in with a new hard drive and it can't make past the windows logo its freezes then shuts complete off and it turns it self on..., at this point we have replaced everything going to the list. Starting at power supply going through to cpu chip to no avail. When we loaded do though it did get to the point that it was installing divices then it did the same switch completely of and turns on by its self..

#7 buffy cool

buffy cool
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2015 - 09:52 AM

I meant to say when we loaded xp though it got through to installing devices then it shuts of and turns it self on

#8 Dolby

Dolby

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2015 - 09:52 AM

If your "safe mode" attempt was tu use the advanced boot menu, try this, (without the Windows disk in) - Shutdown → Startup, after the Manufacturer's Brand screen, but before the Windows first screen, keep tapping F8, until safe mode comes up, (if it will) - maybe that way will work, but you might not have network functionality, (internet capability).

#9 buffy cool

buffy cool
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2015 - 10:00 AM

Already tried that... Yesterday I was able to get i through safe mode but to day I cant. Freezes any turns it self on and of again... Did get a quick blue screen flash and I manage to safe it. An error has being detected and windows has being shut down to prevent damage. But keep in mind that it only does it with my c drive and again when I put in new drive to install windows even without any drives I sould be able to get into the windows install but it does the same it switches of completely and within a few seconds it turns it self on again. And then the gigabyte logo and so it continues

#10 Dolby

Dolby

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2015 - 10:16 AM

Did you try resetting your RAM? With the machine off & unplugged, remove the cover, & touch the case just before you touch anything inside to release any static electricity, push down the clips on your memory slots, (note if any are loose), pull the memory modules straight out, blow the slots out, no moisture, canned air is best, gently wipe off the contacts with a soft dry cloth, blow off a little, push them sthaight in all the way, reset the locking clips. Try starting it up again. Even after all you said, I still have a feeling it's a hard Drive issue, unless the Ram got a little unseated.

#11 buffy cool

buffy cool
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2015 - 10:26 AM

We put in new ram sticks yesterday plus a clean hard drive and it does exactly the same even with the new hard drive. If we try to do a fresh install on the clean hard drive it also does that.

#12 Dolby

Dolby

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2015 - 10:39 AM

We put in new ram sticks yesterday plus a clean hard drive and it does exactly the same even with the new hard drive. If we try to do a fresh install on the clean hard drive it also does that.

O.K., did you try reseating the processor, some come out, some don't - if it does you should see a little lock lever - try lifting it, or pulling it a little out to the side & lifting it. you'll probably have to unscrew & remove the fan to make it easier - if you don't have any heat sink compound to put back between the heat sink & processor try removing them together STRAIGHT out. If you can, check for burnt pins on the processor, & burnt hole contacts in the socket - be careful putting it STRAIGHT back in so you don't bend or break any pins - like I said, some are soldered in & can't be removed - if you see a lever it should be the removable kind.

#13 Dolby

Dolby

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2015 - 10:45 AM

O.K., did you try reseating the processor, some come out, some don't - if it does you should see a little lock lever - try lifting it, or pulling it a little out to the side & lifting it. you'll probably have to unscrew & remove the fan to make it easier - if you don't have any heat sink compound to put back between the heat sink & processor try removing them together STRAIGHT out. If you can, check for burnt pins on the processor, & burnt hole contacts in the socket - be careful putting it STRAIGHT back in so you don't bend or break any pins - like I said, some are soldered in & can't be removed - if you see a lever it should be the removable kind.

What computer make & model, & OS is it?

#14 buffy cool

buffy cool
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2015 - 10:46 AM

We replaced the whole cpu and it still does the same... Then I guess it must be the mother board

#15 Dolby

Dolby

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2015 - 10:49 AM

also try unplugging and resaeting all your IDE (ribbon) cable connections

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users