Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't boot from dvd

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Ket

Ket

• Members
  • 137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:50 AM

Posted 29 March 2015 - 04:52 AM

My boss gave me his laptop to fix it because it was very slow. The long story short, I cleaned all malware (nothing very serius, tracking cookies and PUPs),but it was still very slow. Tried SFC, but couldn't restore all files, tried DISM, but got error messages, so I ended up doing a chkdisk /r. PC got stuck at 28% for 24 hours, had to manually turn it off and now everything went south. PC won't start again! After long time it gets me to a blue page with three options:

1. Enter to try again (which brings me back to the same 3 options)

2. ESC for UEFI firmware settings (which switches the PC off)

3. F8 for start up options (which agains takes me back to the same three options and after few seconds PC switches off)

Boss has sensitive data in the computer and he is coming in 5 hours to pick it up (he doesn't know what happened). I am freaking out. Tried to create windows 8 dvd but there is no way to boot from it.

Please, any help (as soon as possible) would be of great help. It is an emergency.

Windows 8 x64 on an ASUS laptop

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Havachat

Havachat

• Members
  • 1,042 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:50 PM

Posted 29 March 2015 - 06:40 AM

Before you go any further , let him know what is going on.

If he has data on drive that is needed , remove the drive and slave it to a working PC via a Caddy as such / Usb.

Try Recuva from Piriform  https://www.piriform.com/recuva  and save anything it finds to that PC.

Once you have done that , fit the drive back and repost before attempting anything else.

I dont have answers for Win8 startup options and the like but someone will assist you.

#3 Ket

Ket
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 137 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2015 - 06:59 AM

Before you go any further , let him know what is going on.

If he has data on drive that is needed , remove the drive and slave it to a working PC via a Caddy as such / Usb.

Try Recuva from Piriform  https://www.piriform.com/recuva  and save anything it finds to that PC.

Once you have done that , fit the drive back and repost before attempting anything else.

I dont have answers for Win8 startup options and the like but someone will assist you.

Sorry, i should have mentioned it is a laptop, so I don't have this option. I managed to get to the bios and tried to boot from a win 8 DVD but it hangs once the logo appears and won't move any further. Tried also live linux CD & USB but the process only starts and then it hangs and fails.

#4 Havachat

Havachat

• Members
  • 1,042 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:50 PM

Posted 29 March 2015 - 07:40 AM

Sound like maybe MBR issue , and why cant you take the drive out ?

Otherwise try a repair install from win8 disc - bios set to boot from cdrom.

If that still fails i would still remove the drive and as i stated before use Recuva.

My time is up , will check in tommorrow.

#5 Ket

Ket
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 137 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2015 - 07:53 AM

Sound like maybe MBR issue , and why cant you take the drive out ?

Otherwise try a repair install from win8 disc - bios set to boot from cdrom.

If that still fails i would still remove the drive and as i stated before use Recuva.

My time is up , will check in tommorrow.

I wouldn't know how to remove hd and I only have another laptop, so I wouldn't know how to mount it, too. I changed boot setting to boot win 8 from CD rom (and even from usb) but it hangs at the windows 8 logo.

Now I am trying with an ubuntu live cd but the partition manager cannot detect the partitions (c, d or recovery). I think there might be a hardware issue.

#6 yu gnomi

yu gnomi

• Members
  • 532 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:50 AM

Posted 29 March 2015 - 10:30 AM

Maybe creating an Asus specific tool could help recover data- https://neosmart.net/wiki/asus-recovery-disk/

#7 Ket

Ket
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 137 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2015 - 11:15 AM

Thanks for the help. The downloads are paid versions. However I have problems with booting from cd/dvd either. That is, I couldn't load windows 7 or 8 repair discs or usb. I tried ubuntu but says I should first do chkdsk (which is what brought this situation about in the first place) and when I try with miniXP the C: is not recognised. I can't think of any other option.

#8 yu gnomi

yu gnomi

• Members
  • 532 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:50 AM

Posted 29 March 2015 - 11:36 AM

did not realize they wanted money to download those, I'll have to remember that about neosmart (when you search for proprietary Windows install media, they are one of the top results).

I am also stumped. If I think of anything else to try, I will post it.

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,946 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:50 AM

Posted 29 March 2015 - 11:40 AM

"PC got stuck at 28% for 24 hours"  would indicate a severly corrupted file system and or failing drive. I think your best option at this point is to use recovery software like Easeus Data Recovery. unfortunately it only allows you to recover the first 1GB for free. After that you need to purchase a key to recover the rest of the data. Even the files recovered may be corrupted. That is why the software lets you recover 1GB for free. You would need take out the drive and attach it to another computer. If you cannot do that then  you would need to install the pro version and create a bootable WinPE disk but that is even more expensive. Depending on how important the data is, your boss may want to purchase this version. Explain to him that the file system was probably corrupted or the drive failing.

Parted Magic also has a HDD diagnostic program called Gsmartcontrol that would let you test the drive to see if it has failed or is failing.

PartedMagic and included program called Photorec can recover files but it has a higher learning curve and you would still need an external drive to recover the files. When PhotoRec on the PartedMagic asks where to recover the files you need to use the left/right down/up keys to select your external drive. This is probably the hardest part of using the program as linux has a different naming convention for disks.

You would also need to select which extensions you want to recover under folder options or it will even recover dll files which you do not need. A disadvantage of PhotoRec is all recovered files have the correct extension but the file name itself is Generic so you would need to open the file with the appropriate program and rename it.

I believe your best option is to use the bootable version of Easeus Data Recovery if you do not want to remove the drive.

Edit: When booting a non-microsoft disk disable SecureBoot in UEFI and Quickboot/Fastboot if enabled. You may have to enable a setting called Legacy Boot, also can be called CSM boot.

Edited by JohnC_21, 29 March 2015 - 11:45 AM.

#10 Ket

Ket
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 137 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2015 - 12:13 PM

The thing is that the HD is not readable from linux and I am not even given the option to install windows again. It just hangs. It was partitioned into C & D and D was empty. So I formated it but still I cannot install windows 8 (or 7) on it.

#11 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,946 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2015 - 12:21 PM

If you download PartedMagic and GsmartControl does not detect the drive or lists it as unknown then I would suspect the drive has failed.

Edited by JohnC_21, 29 March 2015 - 12:21 PM.

#12 Ket

Ket
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 137 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2015 - 12:33 PM

If you download PartedMagic and GsmartControl does not detect the drive or lists it as unknown then I would suspect the drive has failed.

Well, like I said, I don't know how to mount the HD to my laptop and at the moment I probably don't have the right cables(?). If "The drive has failed", does that mean it is going to the bin?

#13 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,946 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2015 - 01:48 PM

Yes, you would bin it. For attaching drives, take a look at this USB adapter. Good for any SATA drive 2.5 or 3.5. 

If you were able to format the drive then GSmartcontrol on the PartedMagic disk should see it.

#14 Ket

Ket
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 137 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2015 - 02:18 PM

Yes, you would bin it. For attaching drives, take a look at this USB adapter. Good for any SATA drive 2.5 or 3.5. 

If you were able to format the drive then GSmartcontrol on the PartedMagic disk should see it.

I managed to format it in FAT (which is useless) but not NTFS. Maybe it is the UEFI that is preventing linux to format it. Anyway, I spent the whole day and it seems it is a hardware issue. If it costs a lot I'm f***ed.

Thanks for your help and the link anyway.

#15 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,946 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2015 - 02:39 PM

Do not give up hope. If this is an OEM like a HP or Toshiba you can download the Windows 8 iso for your version here. If you have a USB flash drive then you can use that to install Windows. It's possible your install disk hangs because of bad media or optical drive.

I do not know what computer model you have but tapping F12 at boot with the USB flash drive attached will give a boot menu. If you do not have a USB flash drive availabe then burn a DVD of the iso using Imgburn and a speed no faster than 4X unless the minimum allowed is faster than 4X.

Make sure you opt out of any optional programs if you install imgburn.

You need to get to this Windows screen before we can continue.

Edit: When you formatted the drive FAT, you essentially destroyed any data on the drive if it was not a quickformat and even then the chances are now low for any data recovery.

Edited by JohnC_21, 29 March 2015 - 02:41 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users