Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Toshiba Satellite Recovery Failure - Error code: 0xc000000f

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 LongWayHome

LongWayHome

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:47 PM

Posted 28 March 2015 - 09:25 PM

Hi, I'm in desperate need of guidance and/or advice regarding my laptop (see specs below)

Toshiba Satellite P855-S5102
Windows 8

Model Number: PSPKEU-062002
Processor - Intel Core I5-3230MCPU @ 2.60GHz
Installed Memory - 8.0GB
64-bit OS
x64-based processor

At first read, this may seem to be posted in the wrong forum (and it may be), but I'm providing some brief background to try to explain how things got to where they currently are, so please continue to read.

My "problem" originated with what I believe was possibly caused by my disgruntled Ex installing or sending me something that allowed "remote control" of my computer. **But I do not know this for certain**

I've had several "weird problems" for months now with the laptop, but due to ongoing health issues which have resulted in my now being on a VERY limited income of Disability; I've not had the funds to take it to a professional. That being said, I've spent hours researching, running various malware/virus detection programs, but could not regain control of my laptop.

Every time I turned around I was being told that I needed "administrator approval" to do almost anything. Files I deleted, reappeared. Files for programs I didn't recognize or install appeared and I've actually sat and watched the pointer move on the screen by itself, these are just a few of what have been several weird occurrences.

Extremely frustrated, I performed three separate Factory Resets, but the problems persisted. I finally managed to get into the registry and tried to adjust the permissions that were given to "anonymous user" and several other that I've never seen before, but to no avail...

I resorted to using the recovery discs that I created when I purchased the computer, which seemed to be going smoothly, but after 26 hours, it restarted with the same programs that were there before. As I sat there completely baffled, the laptop screen flashed several garbled things and then shutdown. I rebooted and the login screen was distorted, but read "Remote Desktop Login Failed" and as I was scrambling to get my camera to take a pic, the laptop restarted and displayed a blue screen indicating the referenced error code (see below for exact error message):

Recovery

Your PC needs to be repaired

A required device isn't connected or can't be accessed.

Error code: 0xc000000f

You'll need to use recovery tools on your installation media. If you don't have any installation media (like a disc or USB device), contact your system administrator or PC manufacturer.

Press Enter to try again

Press F8 for startup settings

Press Esc for UEFI Firmware Settings

Very frustrated, I powered it down and put the thing away for a couple of weeks but recently tried to boot it up and a black screen appeared with this message on it:

Reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media and press any key.

So I put the recovery disc in and it started making clicking noises and then became completely silent. When I tried to eject the disc, it wouldn't come out, I had to manually eject it and when I did, it shutdown and now every time I turn it on, I get the same blue screen with the error message. Of the three options given, the ONLY one that does anything is to press Esc for UEFI Firmware Settings, which takes me to a screen that I have no idea what to do with.

Can someone PLEASE help me out here?

Thank you!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 OldGeekTweaker

OldGeekTweaker

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:47 PM

Posted 24 September 2016 - 03:04 PM

I'm having the exact problem on a Satellite L645.  To the "T".

Only I can boot from CD/DVD & USB boot drive, but it simply takes longer to get the repetitious error in the endless loop.

Now I need to find where you actually posted so I can find the help I hope you found..

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,689 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:47 PM

Posted 25 September 2016 - 10:12 AM

If you upgraded to Windows 8.1 you can use the Windows Media Creation Tools to create Windows 8.1 installation media, (you can not use this if you haven't upgraded to 8.1).  You will have the option to use either a disc (DVD) or a flash drive to create the installation media.  Click on the link below and follow the instructions.

How to use the Startup Repair from the installation disc.

You will need to open the BIOS and change the boot order so that the optical drive is the first device in the boot order and the ssd/hdd is the second device.  Press F10 to save your changes and exit the BIOS.

Start the computer so you can open the tray of the optical drive and place the Windows 8.1 installation disc in it, then shut the tray and turn off the computer or restart it.

When the installation disc begins the installation you will see a image like the one below.  Click/tap on Repair your computer, or press the R key.

wind8%201_zpsnmzw9ibi.png

You will now begin the Automatic Repair, select Troubleshoot from the options.

wind8%202_zpsnhsasph7.png

Select Startup Repair.

Select the operating system.

Select the Administrator account, if prompted to do so.

Wait for the Automatic Repair process to finish.

Click Shut down or Advanced options, once the process is complete.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 OldGeekTweaker

OldGeekTweaker

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2016 - 01:24 AM

Howdy, again!

This is the link to the post I offered and included screenshots.

The topic I posted early Monday morning, as you'll see there, having all the disks in the world for recovery and backup media is of no use.

The system BIOS/CMOS has been infected, (I believe).

When my instructor is ready, he'll tell me what to do.  But, for now, it is in an endless bootloop, refuses to recognized the USB drives and simplyh spins a DVD dizzy till it fails and reboots, yet again.

Edited by OldGeekTweaker, 26 September 2016 - 01:27 AM.

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,689 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:47 PM

Posted 26 September 2016 - 08:20 AM

OldGeekTweaker, you need to start your own topic.  Trying to address both topics in this one can and usually does cause confusion.  This isn't fair to the LongWayHome and does not get your the attention you would get in a separate topic.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 OldGeekTweaker

OldGeekTweaker

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2016 - 04:34 PM

I certainly didn't intend to create any confusion, just expressing my empathy for his problem.

I did start a new topic, after my coach, Gary suggested I do so.

That was done after my first reply and before the 2nd.

Again, I apologize.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users