Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Want to replace new laptops HDD with old HDD to boot from

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 JmanHiggs31

JmanHiggs31

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:34 AM

Posted 28 March 2015 - 04:24 PM

I have two laptop and I busted my newest ones Hard Drive by a messed up Linux Mint installation. I would like to replace my new laptops Hard Drive with my Old laptops Hard Drive which is still functioning fine and has Linux installed on it aswell. I know how to remove and insert the HDDs for both of these machines but how do I actually make the old laptops Hard Drive function in my new laptop. I am also not sure how to access my New laptops BIOS because it came pre-installed with Windows 8 which is no longer accessible. I also don't care which OS I have to install be it Windows or Linux. I also don't care if I lose any personal data as it is already backed up in my Google Drive, any help is very much appreciated and I will provided any other details if need be.

Thanks

Justin 

Old Laptop = Acer Aspire One D270-1895 (Still Working Hard Drive)

New Laptop = Lenovo G505 (Non-Working Hard Drive)

Also can I access my BIOS on boot if I format my New Laptops Hard Drive?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,176 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:34 PM

Posted 28 March 2015 - 08:04 PM

Is it really necessary to swap the drives? If you have a Windows installation disk and can boot from it I'd expect that you can reformat the messed up drive and reinstall either operating system.

Dick

Stay well and surf safe [stay protected]

Dick E

#3 JmanHiggs31

JmanHiggs31
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2015 - 09:59 PM

Overall, no it is not necessary to swap drives. I was given the laptop from a friend a little while ago and he didn't provide an Windows Installation disk and I didn't bother to ask for one. I will ask for one from him and assuming he has it what would the steps to reformat the drive and reinstall the operating system?

Thanks

Justin

Edited by hamluis, 31 March 2015 - 02:43 PM.
Removed unnecessary quotebox - Hamluis.

#4 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,176 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:34 PM

Posted 29 March 2015 - 01:14 PM

Justin,

If the laptop sees the installation disk it will display a menu and you can follow the steps. This should be true with a Windows disk or a Linux installation disk. The first goal s to get you a clean HDD so you can install the operating system of your choice and the programs you want.

With access to an operational computer you can also download a utility called wipedisk which can be burned to a CD and will clean everything off the HDD.

Dick

Stay well and surf safe [stay protected]

Dick E

#5 JmanHiggs31

JmanHiggs31
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2015 - 03:35 PM

OK Thank You very much,

I will give it a shot later tonight and I'll let you know whether or not it works!

Thanks

Justin

Edited by hamluis, 31 March 2015 - 02:44 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users