Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is Limewire Safe To Use?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 ryan_w_quick

ryan_w_quick

• Members
  • 488 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:37 PM

Posted 30 June 2006 - 06:16 PM

Is it safe to have limewire on my computer?
"To do less than your best is to sacrifice the gift." Steve Prefontaine

"The things you own end up owning you." Tyler Durden

"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same god who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forgo their use." Galileo

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 graveangel

graveangel

• Members
  • 399 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:37 PM

Posted 30 June 2006 - 07:07 PM

Well, in my opinion the answer would be a mighty NO!

Ok, so you can download music, but even if you pay for subscription,its not really legal.

Limewire, infact most P2P software is plagued with spyware/malware, which in turn will mess your system up incredibly. There is an older version of Limewire which contains no spyware.However, its the systems you download music from which will have the major sorce of Virus' and spyware to help mess up your system and time.

When you download a track from limewire,you do so by downloading it off someone elses PC, in turn they could be infected,passing on the infection to you. Also,with it being P2P, they will have access to your system and all of the music that you have, not very safe hey!

If you want to download music, i would suggest doing it off a legit music site, like itunes or HMV for example, this way your getting music pretty cheap and staying safe in the process. There are even some sights that for a small sum,let you download as many songs as you want over 28days.

My advice is keep it safe,even if its an old PC you dont really care about. Piracy laws have really been clamped down,and you never know, the officers could come knocking on your door.

Happy browsing ryan_w_quick
:thumbsup:
....And on the 8th day God said, "When my children are intelligent, and create the Computer, for my sake may they never screw around with the registry or subscribe to AOL"Posted Image

#3 no one

no one

• Members
  • 843 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:37 PM

Posted 30 June 2006 - 09:54 PM

I'm inclined to say "no",
http://www.spywareinfo.com/articles/p2p/
supposedly safe ones are listed under "clean"

"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts."

"Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster"

Posted Image

#4 Mr_Freeware

Mr_Freeware

• Members
  • 141 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2006 - 12:51 AM

is it STILL unsafe?

http://www.limewire.com/english/content/home.shtml

now it says No Spyware, No Adware, No Bundled Software.

i dont know who to believe anymore...

#5 toshibauser

toshibauser

• Members
  • 174 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2006 - 01:28 AM

dont find out, use something safER, like edonkey or something

#6 Xpert

Xpert

• Members
  • 97 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2006 - 02:27 AM

I'm inclined to say "no",
http://www.spywareinfo.com/articles/p2p/
supposedly safe ones are listed under "clean"

If you check when the last time that list was updated it was 'Updated July 21, 2005'.

You might like to have a look Here
which was last updated 06/26/06

Limewire contains no spyware/malware but some of the things that are avalable to download are.

#7 Mr_Freeware

Mr_Freeware

• Members
  • 141 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2006 - 03:15 PM

wow. thank you for that link!

i was looking at other links that said which were clean and which were infected, but they all said different things. some said certian things were bad. while other sites said the same exact things were clean. this seems to be the most credible since it was updated recently.

#8 Xpert

Xpert

• Members
  • 97 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2006 - 03:22 PM

Hi Mr_Freeware
Your welcome and glad i could help. :thumbsup:
James

#9 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:37 AM

Posted 15 July 2006 - 03:40 PM

As a regular user of Limewire, I can attest that the program itself is free of infection provided that you download it directly from Limewire's website.

However, if you should decide to use Limewire it would behoove you to take some precautions.

Get an antivirus that scans files automatically immediately after they're downloaded. I use Avast! Antivirus.
Get a good spyware scanner, scan early, scan often.
Get a good firewall, like ZoneAlarm. Set it to the highest settings.
Never, under any circumstances, download a file with a .exe, .zip, or an unrecognized extension. Also, note the size of a file before downloading. Files that are inexplicably large or small (for example an .avi file of an episode of Star Trek that was only 200KB) should be avoided.

#10 magman68classic

magman68classic

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2006 - 11:18 PM

i would say no, but dont be stupid when your on there. try to find thigs through other ways first. if you cant find it then use limewire

#11 tiny1950

tiny1950

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:37 PM

Posted 16 July 2006 - 04:06 AM

I have been using Limewire A LOT for about 2 years and to date have not had any problems. I do however stay away from anything else except music.
My whole family uses it and none of us have ever had any problems. Can'tsay that about KAZAA though!

#12 moomoo

moomoo

• Members
  • 267 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2006 - 06:00 AM

quite safe...only for music...wen i go virus hunting i usualy go to games and pics and programs ive found about 1567 viruses...and i mean JUST viruses not to mention the programs that have em so its 1567 X700000000000000000000000000000000=*
so music is only...games or pics are deadly, and movies are illeagel

NOTE: ur probably not this stupid but DONT download music files with etensions .zip or .exe lol...u see couple song titles like "ViewFromTheAfternoon.exe or ArcticMonkeys.zip...it makes me laugh cuz i kno thers people out ther who actually download it lol

Edited by moomoo, 16 July 2006 - 06:02 AM.

#13 moomoo

moomoo

• Members
  • 267 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2006 - 06:05 AM

dont find out, use something safER, like edonkey or something

edonkey is a virus and so is overnet...except for the overnet my mate has its safe...limewire is the best to use its easy and its fast. NOTHING CAN BE VIRUS FREE ON P2P NETWORKS....its literally impossible its up to u not to screw around and be safe...ONLY DOWNLOAD MUSIC i cant stress it enough...go to www.limewire.com and download from ther its the official site

#14 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2006 - 06:37 AM

You might like to have a look Here
which was last updated 06/26/06

Limewire contains no spyware/malware but some of the things that are avalable to download are.

Thanks Xpert For that link! My reference is no longer being maintained.
What they did have, was last updated March '06. I'll be sure to file this one away. ;)
I feel this info. can be completly trusted, considering whom runs the site.

Edited by Scarlett, 16 July 2006 - 06:53 AM.

Posted Image

#15 Starbuck

Starbuck

'r Brudiwr

• Malware Response Team
  • 4,150 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2006 - 08:02 AM

Have to admit to using 'Limewire' myself. But like most of the others..... i only download music and always look for the selection that has the most users. Also only download if it has .mp3 extension.
So far in 12 months i've never had any problems at all.

BBPP6nz.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users