Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

CD Burner issues.

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 BronyoftheOctaves

BronyoftheOctaves

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:39 PM

Posted 28 March 2015 - 02:57 PM

Hello, I was wondering if someone can help with this.

For a long while, I've tried to burn at least a CD on this VIAO Laptop. I haven't really ever used it since my parents got it for me for Christmas back persay, around 2013/2012 I think. So a few months back, I tried to burn an album on a CD-W, it didn't work. I figured it was because it was a CD-W, and my laptop couldn't handle it. So I tried to burn a normal CD with another album. My iTunes said it was burned...but when I put the CD back in, it didn't. I tried burning it on persay, WMP, and when it looked like it was burned, when it got to 99%, the burner would only emit this tap sound, and wouldn't release the CD until I closed the laptop and let it go into lock mode. And when I'd check the CD to see if it burned everything, it did. But when I put it on my Playstation 2 (which I use to play music), nothing was on it.

I figured it was because the CDs were old since we had them for at least 10 years, but recently My older sister was asking me over and over to burn her Coldplay songs (despite that she has her own laptop to do it herself and I kept telling her of my cd issues), but she gave me some new CDs. So I gave it a shot, and this happened:

- Tried burning on iTunes, says it was burned, but when CD is put into the drive again, it says nothing's on.
- Tried WMP, it gets close to burning, the thing again does the tapping sound and I have to close the laptop again. iTunes again says nothing's on it.

What's going on?

I know there's nothing wrong with the driver since I can still rip music and play movies on it, so why can't it burn music?

Any help?

Edited by hamluis, 28 March 2015 - 05:34 PM.
Moved from Win 7 to Internal Hardware - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,550 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:39 AM

Posted 28 March 2015 - 07:07 PM

First of all - welcome to BC !  Second - sisters !

I regret to say that it is not impossible that your CD drive is faulty. CD/DVD writers all use a laser LED to read and write the 'pits' that record the data, but writing is done at a much brighter, ie more powerfulful, setting. Total failure of the LED is more common but is has been known for the control circuitry not to switch to the high power setting for writing.

I don't use iTunes so I can't speak for it and I have never tried using WMP to burn discs - I must try it - but you could try installing some free CD/DVD writing software and see if that works or not. I am currently using 'Burnaware free' for simple jobs which you can get from -

http://www.burnaware.com/

Just be careful who you download it from and when you install it to minimise the risk of installing attached applications. It has a very easy to use interface.

Writing a disc is a three part process. (1) It writes the 'lead-in'; (2) It burns the tracks or data; (3) It closes the disc. This is the normal procedure and all three parts need to happen to create an audio CD that you can play anywhere. It is easy to tell if a CD or DVD has had data written to it. Look at the data side and, starting from the middle, data written will look slightly greyer or bluer than the part of the disc that hasn't got data written to it.

To sum up:- Try a standalone writer; examine the disc after you think it has written data to it; consider replacing the CD drive if the first two of these steps don't work.

If you do finish up having to put a new drive in it is not a difficult job and if you search on YouTube for 'Sony Vaio, Model No, CD drive' you will almost certainly find a selection of videos on how to do it.

Chris Cosgrove

#3 BronyoftheOctaves

BronyoftheOctaves
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:39 PM

Posted 28 March 2015 - 08:25 PM

First of all - welcome to BC !  Second - sisters !

I regret to say that it is not impossible that your CD drive is faulty. CD/DVD writers all use a laser LED to read and write the 'pits' that record the data, but writing is done at a much brighter, ie more powerfulful, setting. Total failure of the LED is more common but is has been known for the control circuitry not to switch to the high power setting for writing.

I don't use iTunes so I can't speak for it and I have never tried using WMP to burn discs - I must try it - but you could try installing some free CD/DVD writing software and see if that works or not. I am currently using 'Burnaware free' for simple jobs which you can get from -

http://www.burnaware.com/

Just be careful who you download it from and when you install it to minimise the risk of installing attached applications. It has a very easy to use interface.

Writing a disc is a three part process. (1) It writes the 'lead-in'; (2) It burns the tracks or data; (3) It closes the disc. This is the normal procedure and all three parts need to happen to create an audio CD that you can play anywhere. It is easy to tell if a CD or DVD has had data written to it. Look at the data side and, starting from the middle, data written will look slightly greyer or bluer than the part of the disc that hasn't got data written to it.

To sum up:- Try a standalone writer; examine the disc after you think it has written data to it; consider replacing the CD drive if the first two of these steps don't work.

If you do finish up having to put a new drive in it is not a difficult job and if you search on YouTube for 'Sony Vaio, Model No, CD drive' you will almost certainly find a selection of videos on how to do it.

Chris Cosgrove

Apologies, I've actually been on this site before! And I know there are some grammar errors, again Apologies.

And that's what I was thinking: The fact I rarely have ever burned a CD on this laptop and yet I've only watched movies and ripped music from CDs seems unlikely it's a hard drive problem. Although at times the DVDs won't play on this laptop, but only if I've cleaned them from any smudges and such. 

I've actually used a burner program before in the past, I don't remember the name, and when it seemed like it worked, it couldn't finalize the procedure, all it did was get to 99% and my CD drive let out a tap sound. I had to close my laptop and eject the CD after it went into lock mode. When it seemed like it worked, I tried to play the CD on my PS2, all it said was there was no material on the CD itself. 

I am debating on getting a new CD drive, but I've not good with tech and I lack money for it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users