Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

vista home preimum boot manger

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 grannyandy

grannyandy

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:58 PM

Posted 28 March 2015 - 01:00 PM

Trying to fix friends Toshiba laptop that had fbi virus now it will not let me reinstall the operating system it goes to dos and tell me boot manager not there any help would be appreciated thank you

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MarkMCS

MarkMCS

• Members
  • 161 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:58 PM

Posted 28 March 2015 - 08:09 PM

you were infected with 'ransomware'.  You shouldn't have to reinstall your OS.  I've removed the malware on a couple of laptops, but the guys at BC can do it without all the fumbling around I did.  Post your issue at http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/103/am-i-infected-what-do-i-do/ and you should get the help you need. 

Edited by MarkMCS, 28 March 2015 - 08:17 PM.

A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing.  -Emo Phillips

#3 grannyandy

grannyandy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:58 PM

Posted 29 March 2015 - 05:28 AM

Thank you will do what you said. My problem also is that it boots to dos giving me this message. I have checked and there is nothing on the hard drive now. It was wiped clean no OS or anything it is a mess. It still will not let me reinstall I have the disk that came with the computer. Will give try and see if they can help thank you again have a great day

#4 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,912 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:58 PM

Posted 01 April 2015 - 05:46 PM

It was wiped clean no OS or anything it is a mess.

I am a little confused by this statement. If it was wiped clean to you mean that it is an empty drive ?  If so, and you have the Vista install disc, then all you should need to do is put the disc in the CD/DVD drive and re-start the computer. It should then start the install. Of course, once you have done the install you will have umpteen updates to install plus all your applications, as well as having to put back your own data which hopefully you have backed up.

If you mean that an install disc will not run then i would suggest that you take out the hard drive and, using a caddy, connect it to another computer via USB and format it to NTSF. Normally a 'Quick format' is all you need, but given that you have had a serious 'nasty' on this drive you might be better to do a 'Full format' even though it can take quite a long time. Just leave it running over night, and make sure the computer you are using as a host is not set to hibernate while this process is running.

Chris Cosgrove

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users