Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Question about a server to connect client computers to the internet.

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Kenmc

Kenmc

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:39 PM

Posted 28 March 2015 - 11:03 AM

Hi,

I donate much of my time to a non-profit school as the IT Coordinator. I have very limited knowledge about servers and what I can do with them.

We can no longer afford Endpoint antivirus protection so all of the computers have free antivirus. We're using Commodo Antivirus Free. We depend on donated computers and the ones we have are old slow XP computers.

My question is, can I use a proxy server so that all computers connect to the internet through it, and use one antivirus product on the server so I can remove the antivirus software from the client computers? If I could remove the antivirus software from the client computers, they would run much faster.

Thanks,

Ken

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Kenmc

Kenmc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2015 - 03:40 PM

Went off on a tangent. Can't remove antivirus from computers. I don't know what I was thinking.

#3 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,164 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2015 - 08:50 AM

You can configure the proxy to block websites and spam; however, antivirus protection needs to occur on the computer itself. To do what you are suggesting would require the proxy to read every packet and every line of code coming in. You think the XP machines are slow now?... :nono:

The solution you have in place, while not optimal, is workable. If the computers are running slow, can they add more RAM? Delete any unused programs? Simple things like using Disk Cleanup and Defragmentation, which the machines already have, might help.

Just my two cents.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users