Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Very Intriguing Booting Problem-Looking for simple solution

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 anilkhubchandan

anilkhubchandan

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:58 AM

Posted 28 March 2015 - 08:31 AM

Hello,
I have a peculiar problem which I would like to solve with the help of software geniuses like u'll on such forums.
HP dc7700 Small form factor desktop PC (about 6 yrs old)
Bios version 02.10
C2D, 2Gigs RAM, Q045 963/965 board, E6600 processor, eSATA 80 GB Hitachi HDD.
McFee antivirus installed.

Current problem: Incomplete booting (Booting STOPS at Windows setup Loading Welcome splash page prior to logon) - Happens at EVERY unmodified (will clarify modified and unmodified below) boot

Prior to the current problem:
Since about 4-6 weeks-Intermittent and different USB ports not working then working again.
About a week or so-EVERY alternate boot stuck as currently stuck & rest of the alternating boots were completely normal.
BUT currently since about 2-3 days EVERY single unmodified boot incomplete.

UNMODIFIED?? - Direct boot or reboot as all of us boot any PC

MODIFIED -        Whenever I boot I need to remove CMOS battery or press CMOS button (yellow button on MBD). Without CMOS clearing NO BOOTING complete.
When CMOS cleared it asks F1 to save changes (after check count of RAM). Then needs F1 to boot & EXACTLY at the point at which the other unmodified boots get arrested it shows "Time & Date not set etc etc". When I select OK to continue it boots fully as normal.
Then once into the normal OS I change the time to current time & once again an unmodified boot  fails.

If again CMOS is cleared boot & subsequent functions PERFECT until shutdown.

2-3 points:
a) As is standard procedure - CMOS Battery changed + RAM sticks reseated & alternated & tried another RAM too + reseated power contacts + HP DPS check for HDD passed + disconnected peripherals + CCleaner Easycleaner etc run - All without benefit.

B) On the unmodified booting which would not work, Lack of Windows Startup sound is the indication that the boot would fail.

Similarly on modified booting windows startup sound at Windows welcome splash screen makes me sure that boot would complete normally and fully

c) One strange thing I accidentally noticed just today-

If I did not change the date/time after a modified boot as explained above i.e I finish my booting & then shutdown with the date not made current (i.e it still reads Jan 1980) -

If I reboot like this IT BOOTS PERFECTLY.

But if I bring the date to the correct current date the Reboot fails

This is a very peculiar problem & I have asked couple of my IT friends & they too are perplexed.
According to them BIOS Flash & /or HDD Format may solve it -

However I am fairly sure it is something that can be solved without these measures (though I have already backed up data on an external disc).

I would appreciate ur kind feedback on solving this odd problem.

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,848 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:58 PM

Posted 28 March 2015 - 01:46 PM

Well...I would put in a new CMOS battery (not one from another system or just one lying around)...then boot into CMOS, set the correct time/date and boot options...save the changes by hitting F10...and see what the result is.

If the system boots into Windows normally or via safe mode...I would then run the chkdsk /r command on the Windows partition.

Louis

#3 anilkhubchandan

anilkhubchandan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:58 AM

Posted 28 March 2015 - 02:12 PM

Thats exactly what was done - A new CMOS battery inserted, hit booting sequence entered CMOS - Entered current date / time - Boot options for HDD - Saved changes- exited - Expectations did not live through though.

i.e back to square one stopped booting at same stage again.

Incidentally, something interesting as an offshoot of the point c) that I have mentioned in my first post above -

I had not modified the time/date settings after CMOS clearance & booting. It rebooted perfectly but asked for time changing as it was displaying Jan 1980 year.

I did not change it - worked on the PC - Rebooted it & again (of course asked for hitting F1 to continue booting which is a small price to pay and later on b4 the windows welcome screen displays that time/date is incorrect etc).

Boots like normal BUT for the wrong date/time stamp.

Can someone tell me what is the disadvantage of letting it boot like this with wrong date/time stamp-How does it matter?

Just as a thought - what files would be affected by wrong time/date stamp actually.

Also one more thing if that booting time is probably longer (wondering if indees SMPS or MBD may b the root cause)

Still keeping track of how it works out.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,848 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:58 PM

Posted 28 March 2015 - 04:27 PM

The disadvantage...is that any new files installed on the system will bear incorrect data/time stamps.

On data files, that isn't an issue...but I think it's an issue with Windows and with any program looking for the prospective file versions it needs to perform properly.

But...it's your system.  If you are happy with it as it is...be happy :).

Louis

#5 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 5,961 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:58 AM

Posted 28 March 2015 - 06:34 PM

It is also a problem with web-sites since they have certificates which are only valid for a certain period. Your system clock being out by a few minutes is neither here nor there, but with the system date set to 1980 you are 35 years out and every current certificate will be rejected and access refused.

Of course, if you don't use this computer on-line that isn't a problem.

Chris Cosgrove

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users