Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problems with Nero Smart Start Software and Windows 7

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Warthog-Fan

Warthog-Fan

• Members
  • 290 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:24 AM

Posted 28 March 2015 - 07:57 AM

I hope that this is the correct forum for this question, but it seems to involve the Windows 7 32-bit operating system on my computer.

I have an Acer computer which is about six years old. It came with the Nero Smart Start burning software pre-installed. I've never used the Nero Smart Start software directly. I have burned CDs using Windows Media Player and also by copying files from the hard drive to the CD ROM drive using Windows Explorer, and I assume that both of these programs are using the Nero program to do the actual burn of the CD.

Yesterday, I decided to try just launching and running the Nero software by itself. The program launched and displayed a screen for me to register the program, probably because I had never used it directly before. I entered the required information and hit OK. I got an error window which stated:

"Unable to create XML parser instance. Please reinstall Microsoft XML Core Services (MSXML) 4.0 SP2 or higher."

When I clicked OK I got another window which stated:

"FATAL ERROR. Nero Smart Start cannot run! Corrupted installation or invalid license."

How do I go about obtaining and installing the XML Core Services software that Nero is asking for? The computer came with Windows 7 pro-installed, so I don't have any Windows 7 Operating System disks.

Thanks in advance.

Bob

Edited by hamluis, 28 March 2015 - 04:45 PM.
Moved from Win 7 to All Other Apps - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Havachat

Havachat

• Members
  • 1,042 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:24 PM

Posted 28 March 2015 - 08:20 AM

Id say its asking to be registered as it was preinstalled and possible trial version.

Either way i would uninstall it using the Nero Removal Tool    http://www.nero.com/ena/support/service/nero-clean-tool.php

Try a free version burning program like ImgBurn  or there are others available also , or stick with windows tool.

#3 Warthog-Fan

Warthog-Fan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 290 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2015 - 08:32 AM

Havachat,

Thanks for the reply. When you say "stick with windows tool", what are you referring to? Does windows have a burning program built in that I can use? If so, what is it? I want to try burning some audio tracks to CD and I want to be able to adjust the silence time between tracks. I believe that this can be adjusted in the burning program.

Thanks.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,404 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:24 AM

Posted 28 March 2015 - 04:43 PM

A burner...just burns, it doesn't fiddle with the content of the burn...unless the burning process is part of that program, IME.

If you want to edit audio files (which I do) and either make compilations or fiddle with the interval between songs...I suggest you try Audacity.  Me, I just use an old version of Cool Edit to do those things but Audacity can also enable such...and it's free.

Windows does have a burner function built into it, see http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/disc-burning-faq#1TC=windows-7 ,

Nero used to be a common throw-in with new systems/motherboards, but those may be trial installs only these days.  I have Nero Smart Start and I never registered (although they probably want every user to do so...more data that can be sold to advertisers).

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 28 March 2015 - 04:48 PM.

#5 Warthog-Fan

Warthog-Fan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 290 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2015 - 07:41 PM

Louis,

I used Audacity to record the audio that I wanted and then used it to split the recording into tracks. As I recall, the Audacity manual stated that you needed to use a disk-burning program (which is not a part of Audacity) to burn the tracks onto a CD. They mentioned that if you want to have a specific time interval between songs, you had to have a burning program that could be set up to put a specific amount of silence between tracks. Otherwise, songs might go from one immediately into the next.

Since Smart Start seems to be inoperative on my computer, I may just go ahead and uninstall it as mentioned above and use a different disk burning program.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,939 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2015 - 08:19 AM

Imgburn will do this. Just make sure you opt out of any programs it wants you to install.

http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/archive/burn_audio_cds_from_music_files_with_imgburn.cfm

#7 Warthog-Fan

Warthog-Fan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 290 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2015 - 07:03 AM

John,

Thanks for the link to the ImgBurn tutorial. It should be very helpful

Bob

0 user(s) are reading this topic