Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Tool that automatically executes when file dropped in

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Nagarajtg5

Nagarajtg5

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:39 AM

Posted 28 March 2015 - 05:35 AM

Hey Everyone,

I wanted an tool for windows 7 (or ubuntu) that which execute a file when we dropped into the specific folder assigned to that tool. I am mainly looking for the compression. If you give some criteria to that folder and when you pasted a file, then that tool want to execute the file and create the given criteria. Let me know is there is a tool like that exist. Thanks in advance!  :)

Edited by hamluis, 28 March 2015 - 04:31 PM.
Moved from Win 7 to All Other Applications - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 3,046 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:09 AM

Posted 30 March 2015 - 08:05 PM

I don't know a hige amount about this, but i do know of some batch files (.bat) which will execure and perform operations on a file when you paste the file onto them. It works (from a user's perspective) like this:

1.User has the bat file saved in a particular folder on a windows machine
2.They browse in the file explorer to the file they want to perform the operation on
3.They right clcik on that file and copy it
4.Then they navigate back to the the folder where the bat files is
5.They right click on it and paste the file they copied "onto" it.
6.The bat file opens and exceutes, svaing a version of the file which has had the operation performed into the same folder as the file came from.

The example i know is a file converting utility, you paste on a file in one format and the batch file runs (it opens up some exe files in the process and a load of other complex stuff) before saving the converted file in the folder next to the original.

I have only used a bat file of this type, I didn't make it, but this might give you some ideas of the sort of thing involved. This is for windows, on ubuntu things would be different.

Edited by rp88, 30 March 2015 - 08:05 PM.

Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users