Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hard drive suddenly disappeared from Windows Explorer

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Iamazn

Iamazn

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:47 PM

Posted 27 March 2015 - 12:59 PM

About 3 weeks ago, my 3TB seagate drive suddenly 'disappeared' from Windows Explorer. I rebooted and it reappeared. Sometimes when I copied files over to the drive, my computer would suddenly freeze, forcing me to reset the computer.

Today the 3TB seagate drive disappeared again. Rebooting didn't make it reappear. The BIOS shows that it is connected but Explorer AND Disk Management do not see it.

I downloaded Seatools for Windows but when I run it, my computer freezes. Seatools DOS version does not work either. When I boot Seatools DOS, it just stays at the FreeDOS screen.

How is it possible for a hard drive to freeze my computer when it is accessed? My OS is on a working SSD. Any advice on what I should do?

Edited by Iamazn, 27 March 2015 - 01:00 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,637 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:47 PM

Posted 27 March 2015 - 03:00 PM

Linux may pick up the drive. Download PartedMagic here. Burn the iso and boot to the PartedMagic Desktop. On the desktop will be an icon labeled DiskHealth or Gsmartcontrol. Double click the icon and see if your 3TB drive is detected. If it is do a short test and post the logs. Look under the Attributes tab. Pay attention to any pink or red rows. Red rows indicate a failed SMART attribute.

info_failing.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users