Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Recycling Bin ($Recycle.Bin)

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 Camila-V

Camila-V

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:20 PM

Posted 27 March 2015 - 12:06 PM

On my C Drive I can see a folder named $Recycle.Bin, when I open it it's empty but if I look at the properties it says there are over 8000 photos there (which I lost 2 years ago) and if I scan it with my antivirus it starts going through these files. I'd kind of gotten over losing those photos but if there's a chance I could recover them it´d be amazing. Thank you for reading and please let me know if you can help!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,545 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:20 PM

Posted 27 March 2015 - 12:58 PM

Hi Camila-V :)

The $Recycle.Bin folder at the root of your C: drive is a system folder that holds the Recycle Bin for the users, groups and services present on your Windows system. In order to see it, you have to enable Show hidden files, folders and extensions in your Folder Options, as well as unchecking Hide protected operating system files (recommended) in it. From there, you'll see the $Recycle.Bin folder and you'll be able to access your Recycle Bin (or the one of other users) and restore items that were deleted from there. Give it a go and let me kno whow it goes.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#3 Camila-V

Camila-V
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2015 - 01:29 PM

Yes, I did this, that's why I can see the $Recycle.Bin folder and have access to it. The thing is I lost those photos two years ago and as far as I´m concerned files get overwritten so there´s no reason for them to be there anymore. What´s confusing is that when I look at the folder's properties it clearly says there are over 8000 files, which is the exact amount that was in the file tree I lost. Not only that, but when I scan with my antivirus it goes through 8000 something files whose names I recognize and it´s as if they´re still located in the same file tree. I´m not sure if there´s anything to recover because Piriform Recuva doesn't detect anything in $Recycle.Bin. I´m constantly cleaning out files I don't need and like I said this was two years ago but it´s as if the folder is still hidden somewhere.

#4 Camila-V

Camila-V
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2015 - 01:31 PM

Thanks for the reply but I don´t what´s going on!

#5 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,545 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2015 - 01:36 PM

When you go in the $Recycle.Bin folder, what do you see?

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#6 Camila-V

Camila-V
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2015 - 01:52 PM

Nothing but the folder´s properties say there are 8708 archives. Here's a picture, it´s in Spanish but I think you'll get the idea.

Attached Files

#7 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,545 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2015 - 02:19 PM

This is weird. Are you sure that you checked and un-checked the two options I mentionned in my first post? I would give it a look.

unite_blue.png

#8 Camila-V

Camila-V
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2015 - 02:27 PM

Very very sure!

#9 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,545 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2015 - 02:30 PM

Give EaseUS Data Recovery Wizard a go and see if it can find the files present there.

http://www.easeus.com/datarecoverywizardpro/

unite_blue.png

#10 Camila-V

Camila-V
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2015 - 02:58 PM

No use! It searches for deleted files from that folder but it's as if the 8000 photos are there organized in the same file tree as when I lost them except I can´t see them. The really suspicious part is that the antivirus scans all the files which I suppose means they've got to be somewhere. Very weird but thanks anyway!

#11 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,545 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2015 - 04:01 PM

Can you give me the full path to one of the picture it finds? So I can see it's location?

unite_blue.png

#12 Camila-V

Camila-V
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2015 - 09:40 PM

I have this folder on my desktop and won't be home until Monday, if you could help me then I'd really appreciate it.

#13 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,545 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2015 - 10:36 PM

Its all good just let me know when you're back and I'll continue assisting you :)

unite_blue.png

#14 marzametal

marzametal

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:20 AM

Posted 27 March 2015 - 10:49 PM

Hi Camila-V :)

The $Recycle.Bin folder at the root of your C: drive is a system folder that holds the Recycle Bin for the users, groups and services present on your Windows system.

Is this the official difference between "C: drive Recycle Bin" and "Desktop Recycle Bin"?

I have always wondered why one has a rubbish bin icon and one has a folder icon.

In other words, we should only clean out the desktop version?

I had a lot of files in my root bin, had to muck around with permissions to gain access to its contents.

#15 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,545 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2015 - 08:13 AM

Basically, yes. The $Recycle.Bin folder holds the Recycle Bins of every users, groups and services on Windows, while the Recycle Bin you see on your Desktop is your own personal Recycle Bin. You'll also see it under $Recycle.Bin. Personally, I clean the $Recycle.Bin when I want to make sure everything is gone since sometimes there's more there than my own personal one.

unite_blue.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users