Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hard Drive Does Not Have Enough Free Memory?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 clayto

clayto

• Members
  • 476 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:42 PM

Posted 27 March 2015 - 09:02 AM

I cannot remember what the Hard Drive requirements are for the Windows 10 upgrade but I  do remember that when I read it I immedialy concluded my Tablet has nowhere near enough free space, with only just over 3 GB at present (and likely to become less).  Am I right in thinking that the fact that W10 will be replacing W8.1, so the memory memory it occupies. will be available, does not alter this?  It might be a daft question (I have quite limited expertise!) but it got me wondering if an external USB HD or some other device can be used?  I have read that any recent machine (mine is only a few months old) which can run Windows 8 now, will be able to run Windows 10. The suppliers of my Quantum View 10.1 Tablet emailed customers while ago to tell us we would be eligable for the upgrade.

I would welcome some clarification of this issue. 

clayto

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 clayto

clayto
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 476 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2015 - 01:59 PM

I found the article that set me thinking.  A quote below ---- for my own benefit really as I expect the rest of you are familiar with it already. 

'So once again, to reiterate, if you bought your computer in the past, well five years or so, you are going to get pretty good performance out of Windows 10. It may even run on older devices.'

clayto

#3 bludgard

bludgard

• Members
  • 934 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:42 PM

Posted 28 March 2015 - 02:01 PM

If I am not mistaken that tab has 32 GB internal memory. Pretty sure upgrading from 8 to 10 will prove to be a non issue.

One may have to remove (or move content to an SD card) to make room.

Keep us updated, though!

Thanks

#4 clayto

clayto
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 476 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2015 - 03:01 PM

I have been assured both by a representative of the Microsoft Communitiy / Forum and the supplier of my Quantum Tablet that the upgrade will not be a problem, a number of users have already done it with success as part of the 'trial' programme.  They both say that simply (or perhaps not so simply!) W10 will just replace W8, taking up the memory that W8 will have vacated. They repeate the mantra that ' any PC which can run W8 now will be able to run W10 without difficulty'.

clayto

#5 speel

speel

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:42 PM

Posted 02 April 2015 - 12:00 PM

Memory and hard drive space are 2 different things.

Memory allows you to run programs, hard drive space allows you to save things. you have 2GB of memory and 32GB of hard drive space. If you're running Windows 8 now you'll be able to run Windows 10 with no problem.

#6 clayto

clayto
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 476 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2015 - 03:55 PM

OK  ---- Thanks.

clayto

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users