Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problems starting Computer

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Mongetron

Mongetron

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:40 PM

Posted 27 March 2015 - 08:17 AM

Hello.  I am lucky to be here since I never know if my computer will even start up.  What I need help with is that if I shut my computer down, I have to unplug it completely, then replug it in with the hopes it will restart.  I use a power strip but have also tried direct connection to the wall and still the same issue.  Any advice on what is happening?  How to resolve and what the outlook is? Thanks in advance!  

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,671 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2015 - 11:16 AM

Please post the make/model of your computer: is it a desktop or a laptop?

--- Since you didn't say anything about a battery I suppose it's a desktop but I can't assume that

Okay, it sounds to me like the computer runs ok once it starts

--- Are there any issues using it then?

--- How many beeps do you hear when the computer does start up ok normally: how many when it doesn't?

When it doesn't start, what happens exactly?

--- Any error messages? If so please quote them exactly

--- Does it happen on a daily basis?

--- Are there some days it doesn't happen?

--- Or on a Shut down, starting back up during the same day?

Try starting up in Safe Mode with Networking

--- Can you do so over a period of a few days or so to give it enough time so you'll know whether or not running in Safe Mode with Networking matters?

I can't tell whether or not this would make a difference at this time, but the next time you have to shut down by pulling the plug, wait a few seconds, hold the power button in for about 10 seconds to fully discharge the capacitors. Wait at least 5 minutes. Plug the cord back into the power source and see what happens when you start back up

#3 Mongetron

Mongetron
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2015 - 11:55 AM

Thank you for the reply.

The computer is a HP Desktop that runs on Vista.  

When pressing the power button, the computer sometimes doesnt start up or Ill get an orange light. I then keep switching plugs until one will get the system running.

There are no error messages and once I get the past the start issue, then all runs ok. I do not shut it down very often because of the hassle of starting it back up.

There have been times where I held down the power button to shut it off.  It then has been 50 / 50 on starting right back up without having to switch plugs.  

Could this be more of a power source issue?   

Any more advice would be great before I take it to a shop for a diagnostic check.

Thanks again!

#4 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,671 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2015 - 05:26 PM

"There have been times where I held down the power button to shut it off"

What I'm asking for is that after the computer is completely shut down, disconnect the power cord, wait a few seconds, then hold the power button in for about 10 seconds. Wait about 5 minutes, reconnect the power cord and start the computer back up. 

If you can call up the manual for your computer you can probably investigate why you are getting the orange light

--- I have a Vista desktop, I'll see if I can find the manual for it

If you bring your computer in for a diagnostic check, I think it is a good idea

#5 Mongetron

Mongetron
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2015 - 07:36 AM

Thank you for the advice. I shut it down, unplugged, held the power button and waited. When I restarted, everything started fine.  

Eventhough this worked, Im going to take it to the shop for a complete diagnostic check.  

Appreciate all your help!

#6 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,671 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2015 - 03:06 PM

Thank you for your answer. I'm also glad you are going to have properly diagnosed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users