Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

SSD Compatibility

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Robbie7712

Robbie7712

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:37 AM

Posted 27 March 2015 - 07:53 AM

Hi, It's a long time since I visited, but could use some advice right now.
I have an old Fujitsu-Siemens Esprimo P5905 DT.  It was getting slow, so I installed a 120G SSD from Kingston.  It seems to be working well, definitely faster-- but Kingston say it's not supported by the SATA 1 connector and won't work----the mobo  only has the one SATA connector.  Obviously it's not working at the speed intended due to the SATA 1, so I wonder if there s anything else I can do to get a bit more speed out of it.   I was thinking maybe change the  Chipset---presently Intel ICH 7 Storage Controller for an ICH 10R---would that be possible---and would it help?
OS is Win7 SP1.
Maybe it would be better to change the Motherboard, and get 4 SATA connectors---could change my CD / DVD Drives to SATA too.  I'm only an amateur so please, no  high tech jargon.
 thanks  Robbie

Edit: Topic moved from Windows 7 to Internal Hardware ~ Computerxpds

Edited by computerxpds, 27 March 2015 - 08:05 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Citizen_WD

Citizen_WD

Authorized Western Digital Rep

• Members
  • 138 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:37 PM

Posted 27 March 2015 - 10:49 AM

Hello there Robbie7712,

In principle, SATA-2 hard drives are backwards compatible with SATA-1 controllers. The same is also true with SATA-2 controllers and SATA-1 drives.  Your sequential read/write speeds will be bottlenecked by sata 1 speeds ( about 130 -140MB/s) but you still get full benefit of random read/write speeds and low latency of the SSD. 

My personal opinion is that it's not the best idea to run a SSD on anything less than SATA III, considering that even it could limit the speed of a modern solid state drive slightly. In your case, the best solution is to change the motherboard (and probably the CPU as well) to at least a SATA II compatible one. And, of course, if you do that i would also recommend running an SSD + HDD combo.  This way you will get the best from both worlds - speed and fast load times, as well as the reliability and capacity of a HDD. 

Hope this was helpful, Citizen_WD

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users