Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Size Matters for Recovery

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Nantucketsue

Nantucketsue

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:51 AM

Posted 26 March 2015 - 07:39 PM

I have just acquired a new Dell with Windows 8.1.  Try as I might on different websites, including Microsoft and Dell,  I just cannot get a straightforward answer to my question.  What size and type of Write Once disc do I need to create the recovery/rescue disc and/or USB stick.   It is a while since I needed to get into the latest technology having discarded my XP, so I am way behind.   Also is BDR compatible with Windows 8.1.    Please advise.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Nikhil_CV

Nikhil_CV

Vestibulum Bleep

• Members
  • 1,145 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:21 AM

Posted 26 March 2015 - 08:11 PM

Hi,

"Connect a USB flash drive that is at least 256 MB(8 GB if copying the recovery partition) in size, then do either step 2 or 3 below."

src: http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/5132-recovery-drive-create-usb-flash-drive-windows-8-a.html
ref: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-IN/windows-8/create-usb-recovery-drive
Since you wont be getting a 256mb storage device, thats out of question. Buy a flash drive of 4gb or more... For testing, insert a 4gb flash drive, which is available in plenty, and let windows determine if its enough unless you wish to copy the entire recovery partition..
Blueray discs need specific drives to handle it. Normal CD/DVD drives will not read it. Even if you have a bluray player/drive, windows will not support it completely. You will need drivers/software like cyberlink powerdvd for it.

Edited by Nikhil_CV, 26 March 2015 - 08:23 PM.

Regards : CV                                                                                                    There is no ONE TOUCH key to security!
                                                                                                                                       Be alert and vigilant....!
                                                                                                                                  Always have a Backup Plan!!! Because human idiotism doesn't have a cure! Stop highlighting!
                                                     Questions are to be asked, it helps you, me and others.  Knowledge is power, only when its shared to others.            :radioactive: signature contents © cv and Someone....... :wink:

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,393 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:51 PM

Posted 27 March 2015 - 02:51 PM

The recovery partition used to create the recovery disk is between 3 and 6 GB.  This means that you will want a flash drive with the capacity of 6GB.

Now... what the heck is BDR.  There are some interesting results when you Google this, some of it can even be shared in mixed company. :blink:

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users