Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Secondand Tower

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Ben_26

Ben_26

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:17 PM

Posted 26 March 2015 - 05:24 PM

Hi

I  would like to purchase a secondhand tower Desktop PC, which seems a bargain,

but the seller has confused me as i have asked if it is a genuine installed Windows 7 Professional edition which

is all i would like to purchase, A genuine  Windows 7 professional installed on a Desktop,

the seller has explained in email   "I only have a copy of the disk but  it's a real copy with a legal code"

Would this be genuine ?

I would be grateful for some advice please.

Ben

Edited by Ben_26, 26 March 2015 - 05:25 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:06:17 PM

Posted 26 March 2015 - 05:45 PM

"I only have a copy of the disk but it's a real copy with a legal code" should set off red flags.

The copy would be "real" (it certainly would not an unreal copy) but it is still copy. You don't know if he has given anyone else the same copy with the same license.

#3 Ben_26

Ben_26
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2015 - 06:11 PM

Hi There Queen-Evie

thanks for taking time to reply and  for the Advice it has helped me alot

in my decision as i really need a Geniune Preinstalled that came with the tower a

which i will look out for.

Best of luck from Ben ,from My own little corner of the universe, UK :wink: :wink:

#4 Ben_26

Ben_26
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2015 - 09:03 AM

"I only have a copy of the disk but it's a real copy with a legal code" should set off red flags.

The copy would be "real" (it certainly would not an unreal copy) but it is still copy. You don't know if he has given anyone else the same copy with the same license.

Hi Queen-Evie I have found out the Second hand PC Tower originally had Vista on it pre-installed and now  Windows 7 has been  installed  on it,.....

from another family members PC, which on the licence i have been told by the seller can be used for the multiple computers in there family home , which i would assume does not include me in this as an independant Buyer of the PC Tower and windows 7 licence.

Regards Ben

Edited by Ben_26, 27 March 2015 - 09:05 AM.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,568 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:17 PM

Posted 27 March 2015 - 12:53 PM

i have been told by the seller can be used for the multiple computers in there family home , which i would assume does not include me in this as an independant Buyer of the PC Tower and windows 7 licence.

Regards Ben

I have a family pack license (along with several System Builder licenses) and the terms for use of such follow.  See http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-windows_install/questions-on-windows-7-home-premium-family-pack/dfa0f03c-7dd9-40be-bef7-a089a49c8505 .

Per the terms of my family pack license...Win 7 can be installed on 3 systems, using the same license code.  The original family pack also included the DVDs for both the 32-bit and 64-bit versions.

It makes sense that the family pack licenses can only be used under stated terms.

On the other hand...the license applies to the system.  If the system changes hands, Microsoft has no way of knowing or even being interested in such...it wants a valid license to be used by the system owner/user.  If you ever had to reinstall Windows on that system and had the disk and applicable license..I see no reason that Microsoft would worry about the user/owner name.

Systems change hands everyday...the name of the owner/user never even gets recorded by Microsoft, unless you voluntarily register the system.  I've never registered with Microsoft, it's not necessary.  It IS necessary to have a legal license and undergo product activation.

If the license is being used on more than 3 system...then it may be flagged as an illegal license.  MS does track license keys.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 27 March 2015 - 01:12 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users