Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Revival Try: INFINITY 975X/G

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 hoteldesperada

hoteldesperada

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:29 PM

Posted 26 March 2015 - 05:02 PM

Hi, i'm trying to make something nice from components i already have, buying new only something strictly necessary to make a decent system.

So here is my goal, get a decent system with the parts i already have, buying only the minimum.

I have had another thread but the motherboard changed and so i had to change everything because of compability.

Here are the components i have:

• Motherboard: INFINITY 975X/G
  • Socket: LGA775 (if i won't be able to find anything decent i will mod it into a 771-like and use a Xeon as CPU)

• CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E6750 (LGA775) 2,66 GHz 4MB L2Cache 1333MHz

• GPU: 2x Sapphire HD2400XT 256MB GDDR3
    or 2x Sapphire HD3xxx (i cannot remember the exact number right now)
    but  i would really consider buying something decent here, at least 1 GB. Open to suggestions.

• Sound Card: P45-T2RS PLUS

• Network Card: D-LINK Airplus xtreme G DWL-G520

• RAM: 2x Corsair XMS2 DDRW 2x1GB
    Max Ram is 8GB in a 64-bit. 4GB in a 32-bit. I would like to hit at least 4GB and i've seen something nice with this: DDR2 SAMSUNG PC6400 800 MHz 240 PIN Definetively open to suggestions also here. If possible i'd prefer to use the 2 corsairs with something else that can fit with, although i know that mixing isn't that good.

• Power Supply: ENERMAX ELT500AWT (500W)

• HDD: HDD Seagate Barracuda, in a large stock so i've no problem..
    Barracuda 7200.7; 7200.10

• Optical Drive: Super Multi Drive GSA-41638

Open to any kind of suggestion, comments and so on. Thanks!

EDIT: The case is a custom case, and there is all the needed space.

Edited by hoteldesperada, 26 March 2015 - 05:03 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TheN00bBuilder

TheN00bBuilder

• Members
  • 150 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:29 PM

Posted 26 March 2015 - 11:53 PM

CPU; http://www.ebay.com/itm/Intel-Core-2-Quad-2-66GHz-8M-1066-MHz-SLACQ-Q6700-Socket-775-Tested-/321707339804?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4ae740701c

RAM; http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hynix-8GB-4X2GB-DDR2-PC2-6400-800MHz-240Pin-pc6400-Desktop-Memory-NON-ECC-/291416542067?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item43d9c78b73

GPU; http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&sku=1018902&gclid=Cj0KEQjw3M6oBRDnnIywo5i287ABEiQAXRm7SwLRBcvyIslL2GLyF5sGndCfRgcFyCqfTgaSV48zbHwaAstP8P8HAQ&is=REG&Q=&A=details

Sorry if I snap at you. I can't stand stupid for more than 5 minutes at a time.

#3 hoteldesperada

hoteldesperada
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2015 - 06:13 AM

Honestly, i appreciate any kind of comment and help, but you really seem to haven't got my point.

1. I already have the CPU i said in my post. Intel Core 2 Duo E6750 and i'm going to use that. I know the one indicated from you is slightly better, but
    "(...) So here is my goal, get a decent system with the parts i already have, buying only the minimum (...)"
  2. Same for ram. I need to buy only 2 modules, not 4. However i will consider the model, and try to search if there is also a 2x kit.Thank you for your suggesting.
  3. The GPU could also be nice, but isn't there something more cheap for a simple 1GB GPU than 100$?

Edited by hoteldesperada, 27 March 2015 - 10:14 AM.

#4 Serpius

Serpius

• Banned
  • 121 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:29 PM

Posted 27 March 2015 - 06:34 AM

Hi, i'm trying to make something nice from components i already have, buying new only something strictly necessary to make a decent system.

So here is my goal, get a decent system with the parts i already have, buying only the minimum.

I have had another thread but the motherboard changed and so i had to change everything because of compability.

** Rest of post deleted for brevity **

Max Ram is 8GB in a 64-bit. 4GB in a 32-bit. I would like to hit at least 4GB and i've seen something nice with this: DDR2 SAMSUNG PC6400 800 MHz 240 PIN Definetively open to suggestions also here. If possible i'd prefer to use the 2 corsairs with something else that can fit with, although i know that mixing isn't that good.

Hotel,

You will NOT get 4 GB of RAM in a 32-bit system. At best, you will get 3.25 GB of RAM on a 32-bit system.

If you want to maximize the performance of your computer, go for 64-bit all around. 

#5 hoteldesperada

hoteldesperada
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2015 - 07:17 AM

** Rest of post deleted for brevity **

Hotel,

You will NOT get 4 GB of RAM in a 32-bit system. At best, you will get 3.25 GB of RAM on a 32-bit system.

If you want to maximize the performance of your computer, go for 64-bit all around. 

Yes, obviously i'm going to use a 64-bit system.

However, since i'm far from getting 8GB of RAM, i'd at least reach 4 (also if i'm on a 64-bit system).

#6 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,180 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2015 - 09:08 AM

Your choices are already made so it's difficult to know what to add.  The 2400XT is really slow and two of them are not going to be much better, although it may well be adequate for desktop applications (no 3D).  But as you are open to suggestions here, if it's a new card you are looking at a GTX750 would be a massive improvement.  An R7-250X is lower cost (from about $60 on offer) and also 10's of times faster than a 2400XT.  If it's used stuff you are looking for then it depends on what you can get a good price on obviously.  Older mid range cards like a AMD HD6770 would be a clear step up from stuff like the 2400XT, but always consider price/performance against new and don't overpay..

http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/compare.php?cmp[]=571&cmp[]=2825 - give you an idea of how outdated the card is.

7sbvuf-6.png

#7 Serpius

Serpius

• Banned
  • 121 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2015 - 09:14 AM

Your choices are already made so it's difficult to know what to add.  The 2400XT is really slow and two of them are not going to be much better, although it may well be adequate for desktop applications (no 3D).  But as you are open to suggestions here, if it's a new card you are looking at a GTX750 would be a massive improvement.  An R7-250X is lower cost (from about $60 on offer) and also 10's of times faster than a 2400XT.  If it's used stuff you are looking for then it depends on what you can get a good price on obviously.  Older mid range cards like a AMD HD6770 would be a clear step up from stuff like the 2400XT, but always consider price/performance against new and don't overpay..

http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/compare.php?cmp[]=571&cmp[]=2825 - give you an idea of how outdated the card is.

Jonuk,

Yes, I do agree with your assessment that the user has pretty much made his choices.

However, if he did get either graphic card that you have suggested, don't you think that by having that SLOW processor would be a major bottleneck in terms of rendering the graphics?

Yes, I know the graphics card will do the major work... but having that slow processor gives me a cause for concern.

I feel that spending $100 or whatever the cost might be, is a waste of money. 

Just my 3 cents...

#8 hoteldesperada

hoteldesperada
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2015 - 10:09 AM

I really appreciated your suggestings and i'll keep an eye on looking for the models you suggested. Currently i'm over a GTX750 which is being sold through an auction. I will also look for other options in the case the price will get too much over. Yes i know that that graphic card is extremely outdated, and that's why i'm looking for a replacement, aswell as i'm looking for 2 more memory modules.
I know that it is difficult to think about what can be added because the major part has already been decided, but a few things aren't: GPU replacement and 2 memory modules. Really thank you for your help to finding a nice GPU, i'll try to get that GTX750 or however will look around for the other options. As always, still open to further suggestions.

EDIT: Also, today i will be able to check the other exact version of the GPU i already have (i mean 3xxx)

Edited by hoteldesperada, 27 March 2015 - 10:13 AM.

#9 hoteldesperada

hoteldesperada
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2015 - 10:11 AM

- - - CUT due to lenght - - -

Yes, I do agree with your assessment that the user has pretty much made his choices.

However, if he did get either graphic card that you have suggested, don't you think that by having that SLOW processor would be a major bottleneck in terms of rendering the graphics?

Yes, I know the graphics card will do the major work... but having that slow processor gives me a cause for concern.

Just my 3 cents...

Would the Core 2 Duo be a so tough bottleneck in the case i would buy one of the GPU stated overthere?

Do you suggest to get something less expensive (and obviously performing) that could fit better with the CPU? What do you have in mind, if you are thinking something in particular?

Edited by hoteldesperada, 27 March 2015 - 10:11 AM.

#10 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,180 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2015 - 10:49 AM

Jonuk,

Just my 3 cents...

It's arguable I think ;) Had it been a P4 series CPU then absolutely. Too outdated.  A higher end Core 2 Duo while clearly outclassed by current CPU's can still give respectable performance in undemanding applications.  I'm typing now from one (a C2D Macbook) due to my desktop being out of commission!!  While something like the cards I suggested may be bottlenecked to some extent, they should work very well on software that relies more on GPU performance.  I guess it depends on what $50-100 is to you as well, how much of an investment it represents.

In terms of raw performance numbers I'd say CPU performance between 2006 (Core 2 Duo introduction) and today has progressed at a far lower rate than GPU performance over the same period.

7sbvuf-6.png

#11 Serpius

Serpius

• Banned
  • 121 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2015 - 12:29 PM

- - - CUT due to lenght - - -

Just my 3 cents...

Would the Core 2 Duo be a so tough bottleneck in the case i would buy one of the GPU stated overthere?

Do you suggest to get something less expensive (and obviously performing) that could fit better with the CPU? What do you have in mind, if you are thinking something in particular?

Hotel,

This processor that I found matches up with the motherboard that you have in terms of bus speed, therefore, you will maximize the power of the processor.

The Intel Core 2 Duo E6750 you picked out will not match up with the motherboard because the processor maximum bus speed is at 1333 MHz, therefore, you will not get the full processing power from that processor. The motherboard maximum bus speed is at 1066 MHz.

Total: $124.60
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-03-27 13:29 EDT-0400

Edited by Serpius, 27 March 2015 - 12:30 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users