Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Virtual hard drive

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 spenric

spenric

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:22 PM

Posted 26 March 2015 - 02:39 PM

I established a VHD and then realized that what I really wanted to do was to create a Partition, and this I did. However, when I deleted the VHD, the hard disk space was not made available, so I have just shrunk my hard drive by 100gb. Does anyone know how to reclaim this space?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,449 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:22 AM

Posted 26 March 2015 - 03:54 PM

You should have a VHD file on your hard drive. Simply delete that. If it is mounted, you need to unmount the VHD by right clicking the drive letter in Computer and selecting eject then delete the VHD file.

http://www.softwareok.com/?seite=faq-Windows-8&faq=209

#3 spenric

spenric
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2015 - 04:26 PM

Thanks, John.

Unfortunately, I was a bit precipitous and I deleted (permanently!) the VHD file on the hard drive before unmounting it. Is there any cure?

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,449 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2015 - 04:30 PM

I am not sure how you were able to delete the VHD drive that was already mounted. Do you still have the drive letter in Computer? If so, does ejecting it free up the space?

#5 spenric

spenric
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2015 - 04:41 PM

No, the drive letter disappeared immediately. Yes, I see the link you kindly sent says that you can't delete the .vhd unless it is unmounted. But I was successful in deleting it, and now my C drive says there is x amount of space free of (size of physical drive) less the 100gb which was the size I set up for the VHD. Weird.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,449 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2015 - 04:58 PM

Download WinDirstat and see if you can locate where the 100GB space is on the hard drive?

Edit: Is the VHD still listed in Device Manager or Disk Managment?

Edited by JohnC_21, 26 March 2015 - 05:11 PM.

#7 spenric

spenric
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2015 - 05:16 PM

Thanks again, John. Fascinating program! However, it shows exactly what Computer says - it reports the total size of the hard drive (less the Partition I successfully created) to be 100gb smaller than the physical drive. So what was the 100 gb VHD has become totally invisible. I suppose the only solution would be to reformat, and I'm certainly not going to do that. The irony of all this is that I have a 1tb drive on this new computer (less than a week old) and it is replacing my other computer that has a 2tb drive! (But it has at least 1tb free and I have two 200gb partiitions on it as well). So I think I will just live with the result of my stupidity.

If you have any other ideas, they would be welcomed!!

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,449 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2015 - 05:24 PM

In my edited post do you see a VHD in Disk Managment or Device Manager? If you type *.VHD in the search box does it find anything? Not sure how the VHD became invisible. If you unhide hidden and System Protected FIles and do the search is a VHD found? Is there anything in Libraries > VIrtual Machines

http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/windows-and-office/quick-tip-reveal-hidden-system-files-in-windows-explorer/

image_thumb11.png

#9 spenric

spenric
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2015 - 05:31 PM

Ok, John, I think I've solved it (as in I was mistaken all along) - I will explain why later this evening, if that's OK. I have to dash off to an appointment right now.

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,449 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2015 - 05:40 PM

No Problem, glad you got it sorted out. I am interested on how you solved the issue.

#11 spenric

spenric
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2015 - 07:49 PM

Hello John,

OK, back from my appointment.

Here is what I did wrong: I looked at Drive C total capacity of 813gb and thought "that's about 200gb short of a terabyte  - 100 for my partition and 100 for my botched vhd." Then you suggested looking at Disk Management, and the whole of Drive C is laid out - at this moment it is 813.91gb primary partiition, 97.66gb for the partition I created, PLUS 18.47gb Recovery Image D: partition and a couple of other bits - 1023mb also devoted to recovery and 360mb "EFI System Partition". What I forgot is that a gigbyte is 1024 to the power of three bytes: so, (813.91+97.66+18.47)x1024^3=998,622,845,992 bytes plus a few megabytes and you have what passes for a terbyte.

I think with my new computer and not having the available hard drive capacity in my head (as I usually do) and getting all over-excited and confused by my first experience of Windows 8, I jumped to a (wrong) conclusion. I think I also looked at the HD available capacity right after I deleted the VHD and it stuck in my brain that it was still the same as before I deleted it, (I was probably wrong then, too) so I sighed, got on with other set-up jobs and went back this afternoon to researching how to recover what I thought was lost capacity.

What a saga. Sorry to have troubled you, but I learned a few more things. (My first computer was an IBM PC with two(!!) 5 1/4 disk drives.)

#12 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,449 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2015 - 08:25 PM

Thanks for the update. Yeah, hard drive capacities are not what is advertised. My first computer was an IBM with one full height 5 1/4 drive and a cassette interface on the back. A gentleman I used to work with many years ago had an IBM computer with a 5MB hard drive and a green screen monitor plus a printer and database program. He paid approx. $5000.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users