Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Partition disappears after power failure, now shows Unallocated.

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 I_am_CanadianEh?

I_am_CanadianEh?

• Members
  • 489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:02 PM

Posted 26 March 2015 - 10:22 AM

Hi All,

Need some expert assistance here.  :)

Please note that this happened when I was away from my computer and it was left on.  My wife came back from work and noticed the following after she confirmed there was a power failure.  So, I'm going by what the wife says:

1) After coming home, my wife noticed the power went out on our street.  After turning the comp back on, a BSOD came up on the computer screen (I'm not sure what it said).

2) She turned off the computer manually and then re-booted....it went into some type of "Repair" and it recommended to continue, so my wife says yes and the computer did its thing.

3) After, re-booting all seemed fine, programs, files, internet was intact.

However, after I used it in the evening, I noticed that one of my partitions was missing.  Upon viewing Disk Management and the partition structure in Windows, there was a section on the drive that says "Unallocated Space" of about 80GB.  It appears in place of where the missing partition is supposed to be.

The missing partition is NOT the Windows partition (I can boot up no problem), but rather where I keep photos, videos, movies and my iTunes music library.

I've tried booting to GParted Live CD and when the graphical depiction of my partitions come up, it shows the same thing....my primary boot partition (C drive) and the Unallocated space where my D drive is supposed to be.

Next, I tried using TestDisk to see what was going on.  After going through the "Analyse" command and Quick Search, it listed the missing partition, so I know it's still on the disk but Windows can't find it.

Also, I ran into a snag with Testdisk when I tried to "recover" (write) the new partition table saying it can't find the partition.

So, I'm at a loss as to what happened.  I am 90% sure the partition and all my files are still on the hard drive but my table is damaged or corrupted.

Any suggestions on what I should do next?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,017 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:02 PM

Posted 26 March 2015 - 11:07 AM

If you used Testdisk, did you press the upper case "P" when the partition was highlighted? Are your files listed? Did you use the Testdisk for Windows version? You can recover your files by using the ":" key to select your files/folders and the upper case "C" to copy. The default location for recovery would be the folder you unzipped Testdisk to. I think recovering the files this way would be the safest. Then you could partition and format the unallocated space again after retrieving all your files. If you have an external drive, you could open testdisk from there. Using the "a" key would select all files and recover them to your external drive.

#3 I_am_CanadianEh?

I_am_CanadianEh?
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 489 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2015 - 10:25 AM

Hey JohnC_21, thanks for the note.

I think I will post the screen dumps of the steps I've taken in TestDisk to make sure I'm doing everything right.  I don't remember if the missing partition is a Primary or Logical drive.  So, if I select "P" and it's acutally logical, will it make a difference?

Using Testdisk for Windows.  I have 32-bit Windows 7 SP1, fully patched.

Finally, my drive is 250GB, I'm using about 120GB for my C: partition (Windows) but the unallocated space is about 80GB.  Therefore, I'm "missing" about 50GB of space....sounds like the partition table is really screwed up.

Look for some dumps in the next few days.  I might try EaseUS Partition Recovery if Testdisk doesn't want to play. :bounce:

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,017 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2015 - 10:38 AM

The "P" key does not care if the partition is primary or logical. The good thing is you have other partitions detectible on the hard drive so chance of recovery using Testdisk on the unallocated partition is good especially if you detected the partition using a Quick Search. Easeus is a good backup program if Testdisk does not work.

#5 I_am_CanadianEh?

I_am_CanadianEh?
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 489 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2015 - 07:59 PM

Wow, THAT was easy!

I decided to use EaseUS Partition Recovery.  It found my missing partition in the unallocated space and I proceeded to recover it.  After about 2 seconds :woot: it was done and success would be mine!

All data was there too... :thumbup2:

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,017 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2015 - 09:31 PM

That is great. Glad you got your partition back. I was thinking of Easeus Data Recovery and not Partition Recovery. I will have to keep it in mind. Thanks for taking the time to give an update.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users