Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop Hangs at "Starting Windows" - Please help!

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Mythicia77

Mythicia77

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:29 PM

Posted 26 March 2015 - 08:03 AM

Hi there,

It's my first time on this site so please forgive me if this is the wrong place to ask but I could really use some help. I'm using an Acer Aspire 5750G with the following specs:
i3-2310M
Nvidia Geforce GT 540M
6GB DDR3 Memory
640GB HDD
Windows 7 

So yesterday I dropped my laptop (in a cushioned bag) about from a height of about 20cm while it was still turned on. I then continued to use the laptop and there were no issues and I shut it down. My problem began when I turned it back on. 

As I said in the title, whenever I attempt to start my laptop it gets as far as "Starting Windows" and hangs there, though the animation still runs. I can however access Safe Mode without problems. I tried running startup repair and left it going overnight - when I checked it in the morning, it had logged me into my normal desktop, but as soon as I turned the laptop off and on again, I was back to the original issue! Could not get past Starting Windows. I have tried System Restore but was hit with an error message saying something along the lines (and I'm afraid I cannot recall the exact wording) of "Unable to complete system restore due to missing file" and gave the address of something in Rapport's install area. Now if I try System Restore, it says I have no restore points. 
In safe mode, I tried a clean boot using msconfig to turn off all non-windows services, but that has not solved the problem. I have also tried reseating the memory. 
I have tried using CHKDSK, but got as far as stage 4 before it hung on one file for 6 hours, and I cancelled it and turned the laptop off. I have also tried "Last known good configuration" and "debugging mode," with the original issue occurring in both. 

Any ideas as to what I could do now? 

Thanks,

Mythicia77

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,632 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:29 PM

Posted 26 March 2015 - 10:17 AM

Hello, and Welcome,

When you did a clean boot, did you also disable all startup items?

#3 Citizen_WD

Citizen_WD

Authorized Western Digital Rep

• Members
  • 138 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:29 PM

Posted 26 March 2015 - 10:23 AM

Hello, and welcome!

First of all I must warn you that if your laptop has fallen your issue is most likely a hardware one, so any attempts to repair it via software may cause further damage. 

Since your laptop was running at the time when it fell - the damage is most likely to the HDD. My advice to you is not to attempt anything else in terms of System Restore, CHKDSK and so on, since this puts a lot of stress on it and you're lucky that it is still working. I'd suggest you start windows in Safe Mode and copy all of your data on an external drive. Next - you can try to source another HDD with Windows on it and replace your drive. If it all works fine - than your HDD has most likely developed physical bad sectors and it is only a matter of time before it fails completely.  You can take a look at this topic as well, although, in my opinion, the source of your problem is rather different: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-system/windows-7-wont-boot-past-starting-windows-screen/0e7bd971-9646-4384-96b7-0e10535662be

And finally - if you have really important data on the drive, it would be best if you didn't turn it on at all, and contact a data recovery company. The choice is yours.

Best regards, Citizen_WD

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users