Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Question about video cards and not using them even if they are inserted.

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 CalusBlade

CalusBlade

• Members
  • 538 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:43 PM

Posted 26 March 2015 - 12:19 AM

If I have a video card inserted into my mother board (and is being powered) but that video card is not hooked up to the screen.  Will it use power?  If so what if I remove the power? Can it damage the video card? 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TheN00bBuilder

TheN00bBuilder

• Members
  • 150 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2015 - 12:29 AM

Yes and yes. Graphics cards use 15-20W at idle depending on the card and may be given tasks by the CPU to do. It can (and will) damage the card if you don't connect the power.

Sorry if I snap at you. I can't stand stupid for more than 5 minutes at a time.

#3 CalusBlade

CalusBlade
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 538 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2015 - 06:20 PM

If I detact it, that would be fine though right and than add it back on when I need to use it?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users