Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XPS 410 upgrades

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
29 replies to this topic

#1 Dark Magician Girl

Dark Magician Girl

• Members
  • 230 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:35 PM

Posted 25 March 2015 - 09:38 PM

XPS 410 specs: http://speccy.piriform.com/results/IihqHttip7QgzovrbG8rpyJ

I would like to use this computer for a while longer, so I want to upgrade it. The RAM has been upgraded to 4GB and the graphics card has been replaced with a Radeon HD 6450. At the time, I did not upgrade the hard disk drives and processor, but I would like to upgrade them now because I am

pressed for space and I found a good deal for an Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600. However, I have also found what I believe to be a good deal for an Intel Core 2 Quad Q6700. 

Which one of these processors is the better deal? It may be worth noting that the Q6700 is seller refurbished. 

Q6600: http://tinyurl.com/o72rreh

Q6700: http://tinyurl.com/nzn7obc

Besides for school, I use this computer to watch anime. Often I use Potplayer with the EVR Custom Present video renderer and the Vibrance and LumaSharpen pixel shaders, but I also use the Kawaii Codec Pack with the "high" profile setting with the Intel Core 2 Duo E6300. More recently I began pointing Potplayer to the Madshi video renderer.

Would the Q6700 provide a noticeable increase in performance for the aforementioned purposes? 

As for storage, I originally intended on using the Crucial MX 100 and some other 2TB or 3TB drive, but I found the Seagate 2TB SSHD. I am thinking about pairing the Seagate 2TB SSHD with a 2TB WD Green and using data synchronization software, such as Bvckup, to synchronize the drives. Would the WD Green be okay for this or should I go for a 7200RPM drive? I am not sure whether RPM matters when transferring files between two different hard disk drives. 

Silence is important to me, which is why I originally intended on going with a solid state drive, because I watch anime. Also, do SSHDs need to be defragmented? Another reason I was going to go with a solid state drive is so I do not have to worry about fragmentation. The problem is my external drive is only 1TB, so I will not be able to synchronize my data with the internal 2TB drive once it exceeds 1TB. 

Opinions? 

Edited by Dark Magician Girl, 25 March 2015 - 09:42 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TheN00bBuilder

TheN00bBuilder

• Members
  • 150 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2015 - 12:03 AM

I don't think the Q6700 works in that motherboard, but I know for a fact the Q6600 does, as I owned an XPS 410 with a Q6600 long ago before. I'd go with a WD Red or maybe even a WD Black or Blue. I just suggest a 7200RPM drive.

Sorry if I snap at you. I can't stand stupid for more than 5 minutes at a time.

#3 Dark Magician Girl

Dark Magician Girl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 230 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2015 - 01:46 AM

It should support the Q6700. Besides their clock speed, the Q6600 and Q6700 seem to be identical. The Q6700 is also stated to support my motherboard's socket.

http://goo.gl/O3rhdZ

http://goo.gl/aSVspp

Are you suggesting the stated drives in replace of the SSHD, or as my backup drive? If the former, can I ask why? The SSHD comes with 8GB integrated NAND flash memory to lower boot times and increase application performance. Its adaptive memory technology identifies the most frequently-used data and stores it in the memory, requiring no work from me. Its cost is about the same as a normal 2TB HDD; it is actually cheaper than the WD Black. I do wish it had more memory, though...

Hypothetically, having frequently-used data in memory should reduce the platters' activity, thus limiting noise. I am not sure whether this is the case. 

#4 Serpius

Serpius

• Banned
  • 121 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:35 PM

Posted 26 March 2015 - 05:53 AM

Dark Magician Girl,

Here's what I found in regards to the processor. This is brand new and is the fastest processor that is AVAILABLE for sale.

I do NOT trust anyone selling processors or memory modules on eBay. I've had far too many bad experiences.

If you want quiet hard drives (HDDs), then go for a HDDs that are designed for servers because those are not only designed for heavy usage, but also for reduced noise levels.

My HDD recommendations shown below, I picked a 500 GB and 1 TB Western Digital 10,000 RPM HDDs for price comparison. (disregard the total price shown in the price breakdown)

I don't trust solid state disks (SSDs) due to their vulnerability to electrical fluctuations in the electrical power grid that we all live in.

Oh, I prefer Western Digital HDDs over other brands due to Western Digital's track record of having a much lower failure rate for new HDDs. I've had to return more Seagate HDDs back for RMA than I have had for Western Digital HDDs.

I think you can do better with an upgraded graphics card. I know you had upgraded the graphic card.

However, the Asus Radeon HD 7770, that I picked out, is far better suited for your video / graphical rendering that you are doing now.

The ATI AMD Radeon HD 6450 is OK, but the Asus Radeon HD 7770 performs better under heavy load than the ATI Radeon HD 6450 does.

Here are my recommendations for your upgrades:

Video Card: Asus Radeon HD 7770 2GB Video Card  ($129.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Total: $730.15
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-03-26 06:42 EDT-0400

#5 TheN00bBuilder

TheN00bBuilder

• Members
  • 150 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2015 - 09:41 AM

Dark Magician Girl,

Here's what I found in regards to the processor. This is brand new and is the fastest processor that is AVAILABLE for sale.

I do NOT trust anyone selling processors or memory modules on eBay. I've had far too many bad experiences.

If you want quiet hard drives (HDDs), then go for a HDDs that are designed for servers because those are not only designed for heavy usage, but also for reduced noise levels.

My HDD recommendations shown below, I picked a 500 GB and 1 TB Western Digital 10,000 RPM HDDs for price comparison. (disregard the total price shown in the price breakdown)

I don't trust solid state disks (SSDs) due to their vulnerability to electrical fluctuations in the electrical power grid that we all live in.

Oh, I prefer Western Digital HDDs over other brands due to Western Digital's track record of having a much lower failure rate for new HDDs. I've had to return more Seagate HDDs back for RMA than I have had for Western Digital HDDs.

I think you can do better with an upgraded graphics card. I know you had upgraded the graphic card.

However, the Asus Radeon HD 7770, that I picked out, is far better suited for your video / graphical rendering that you are doing now.

The ATI AMD Radeon HD 6450 is OK, but the Asus Radeon HD 7770 performs better under heavy load than the ATI Radeon HD 6450 does.

For that crazy price, you might as well buy a whole new computer. No use dumping $730 into something that won't beat a $730 computer. Buy an eBay processor, it will be fine. I buy all my processors from eBay, as a processor doesn't gain much wear and tear, if any at all.

Sorry if I snap at you. I can't stand stupid for more than 5 minutes at a time.

#6 Serpius

Serpius

• Banned
  • 121 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2015 - 10:16 AM

Dark Magician Girl,

For that crazy price, you might as well buy a whole new computer. No use dumping $730 into something that won't beat a $730 computer. Buy an eBay processor, it will be fine. I buy all my processors from eBay, as a processor doesn't gain much wear and tear, if any at all.

N00b,

You didn't read my post carefully...

Regarding the hard drives, I made it clear to Dark Magician Girl that she can pick one of the recommended hard drives, not both.

The total pricing is to be ignored as I clearly stated in my posting.

If you are comfortable buying computer components from sellers on eBay, by all means do so.

I don't because of the uncertainty of the seller who I am buying from regardless of their feedback rating.

#7 Dark Magician Girl

Dark Magician Girl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 230 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2015 - 06:36 PM

Dark Magician Girl,

• The Q9550 is not supported due to its higher bus speed. I am pretty sure the Q6600 and the Q6700 are the only quad-core choices for the XPS 410. Besides, the cost for that CPU is absurd, even if it is brand new. A Haswell i7 costs a mere $30 more at Micro Center. 

• Comparatively, the Velociraptor is an expensive drive, and it is limited to no more than 1TB, which is too little space for my needs. My 1TB external drive is almost maxed out, as it is. Space is the reason I began considering an SSHD instead of an SSD in the first place. Having a lot of space on my primary drive will allow me to use data synchronization software to synchronize data from the primary drive to the secondary drive. Backing up data will no longer be an annoyance. If I go with the SSD, I would need to get another external drive that is 2TB. Keep in mind I also need two drives. If I could afford $400 for drives, I would consider the 4TB SSHD for $170 instead of the cheaper 2TB SSHD. I am also curious how a drive that runs at 10,000RPM would be quieter than one that runs at 7,200RPM and uses NAND flash memory. I am sure there are other factors but logic dictates the latter drive is more likely to be quieter. 

• There is no reason to replace the graphics card. As it is, I can use Kawaii Codec Pack's 'high' profile setting for 720p video with the Radeon HD 7450 and Intel Core 2 Duo E6300. It works fine for my needs. The problems I am having are programs are slow to open and close and browsers hang. Sometimes this temporarily locks up my entire computer. Hence, I want to upgrade to a quad-core processor and replace my 8- or 9-year-old drives. I looked at graphics cards for a while before purchasing the 7450. I probably did not get the 7770 because it has a higher minimum power requirement than my power supply provides and needs to be connected directly to the power supply. 

#8 Dark Magician Girl

Dark Magician Girl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 230 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2015 - 06:52 PM

I do not mind purchasing a processor if the price is right from a seller with a lot of total and good feedback. To my knowledge, Processors are robust and unlikely to become dysfunctional. If the computer boots and processor does well during some stress tests, it should be fine. That is what I will use the warranty for: To make sure the processor functions as intended. I also noted that the Q6700 is seller-refurbished. What I want to know is which is the better deal: The Q6600 or Q6700? I would also like to know if the Q6700 will give a noticeable increase in performance over the Q6600 for my uses. 

I actually purchased a Q6600 off of Ebay a while ago, and it worked just fine. However, I decided to return it because I planned to get a new computer, which never happened. My RAM and graphics card died after that, so I replaced them. I figure I might as well replace the drives and processor now, especially since the processor is cheaper now. The Q6600 use to be $50-60 and the Q6700 $70-80, IIRC. 

Edited by Dark Magician Girl, 26 March 2015 - 07:07 PM.

#9 Serpius

Serpius

• Banned
  • 121 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2015 - 10:12 PM

Dark Magician Girl,

Since you have done your homework, get the parts that you want. 

Go for it!

#10 Dark Magician Girl

Dark Magician Girl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 230 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2015 - 12:01 AM

I would still like know which processor is the better deal, although I did just learn that the Q6700 ships from China. This is not a problem in itself, but I am not sure I want to wait as long as 30 days to receive it. It looks like it may have a 6-month warranty, though, which is very tempting. I will have to double-check that with the seller. And what about the difference in their frequencies? Will the Q6700 perform noticeably better than the Q6600 when watching high-definition movies with the Madshi Video Renderer? Will it perform noticeably better when multi-tasking?

I would also like to know what experiences people have had with SSHDs. Are they significantly faster than traditional hard disk drives, as manufacturers claim? Does RPM affect how quickly data synchronization software synchronizes data between two different drives? This would be useful to know, so I can decide whether I should go with a more expensive higher-performance 7200RPM drive for data synchronization or a more economical 5400RPM drive like the Western Digital Green. 

Honestly, I would like to go with a solid state drive, but I am not sure I want to spend an extra $80 to $100 for another external drive for data synchronization. I suppose the external drive will maintain its usefulness when I get an ultrabook in the future; there is that. The SSD could be used as a backup drive in case the one that comes with the computer fails. I have hated my current external drive since it does not lay flat, thus is prone to falling over, anyway. I will have to think about this. In the meantime, it would be great if my aforementioned questions (blue text) are answered. 

Edited by Dark Magician Girl, 27 March 2015 - 12:03 AM.

#11 Serpius

Serpius

• Banned
  • 121 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2015 - 05:46 AM

I would still like know which processor is the better deal, although I did just learn that the Q6700 ships from China. This is not a problem in itself, but I am not sure I want to wait as long as 30 days to receive it. It looks like it may have a 6-month warranty, though, which is very tempting. I will have to double-check that with the seller. And what about the difference in their frequencies? Will the Q6700 perform noticeably better than the Q6600 when watching high-definition movies with the Madshi Video Renderer? Will it perform noticeably better when multi-tasking?

I would also like to know what experiences people have had with SSHDs. Are they significantly faster than traditional hard disk drives, as manufacturers claim? Does RPM affect how quickly data synchronization software synchronizes data between two different drives? This would be useful to know, so I can decide whether I should go with a more expensive higher-performance 7200RPM drive for data synchronization or a more economical 5400RPM drive like the Western Digital Green. 

Dark Magician Girl,

I'm not going to further the debate on the processors. It seems that you already have decided what you want to get.

I always buy 7200 RPM HDDs. Pricing on those have come down significantly over the past few years. The 5400 RPM HDDs are fine for people who are not speed demons.

In your case buy the 7200 RPM HDDs. 

If you want to spend a lot of money on like sized SSDs, go for it.

It seems that you are determined on getting those anyways, regardless of what opinion anyone gives you.

Here's the pricing breakdown on both HDDs and SSDs. I only picked Western Digital HDDs due to reasons I mentioned before in this thread and Samsung SSDs to being higher rated and have lower failure rates than any other branded SSDs. None of the Samsung branded SSDs go above 1 TB at this time of writing.

Also, I put in the pricing for the hybrids. I do not have much experience on those types of drives to give you a good recommendation. Therefore, I will not recommend any of those drives. Those listed are just for informational purposes only.

Disregard the total price on both lists. 

Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 1TB mSATA Solid State Drive  ($429.00 @ Amazon) 
Total: $983.97
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-03-27 06:44 EDT-0400

Hybrid drives:

Total: $453.62
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-03-27 07:05 EDT-0400

Edited by Serpius, 27 March 2015 - 06:11 AM.

#12 Dark Magician Girl

Dark Magician Girl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 230 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2015 - 07:59 PM

Your post did not answer any of my questions. I need those answered to help myself to reach a decision. 

#13 Serpius

Serpius

• Banned
  • 121 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2015 - 09:24 PM

Your post did not answer any of my questions. I need those answered to help myself to reach a decision. 

Dark Magician Girl,

I'm not sure who is your post directed to, but I have given you plenty of information for you to make a decision on your own.

I will not make a decision for you. If I do, then you would find something wrong with it and go the other way.

I don't have the time nor the patience to satisfy every single issue you bring up. 

I did a lot of learning on my own, with lots of errors and successes.

Sorry, that this isn't the answer you're looking for. You'll have to find that on your own.

#14 Dark Magician Girl

Dark Magician Girl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 230 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2015 - 01:13 AM

My questions are of the technical nature, and they are the same questions that are in my original post. I did not ask for anyone to make a decision for me. I asked technical questions that I would like to use the answers for to help myself make an informed decision. Perhaps I should close this thread and remake it. Maybe I was not clear enough in my original post. 

Edited by Dark Magician Girl, 29 March 2015 - 01:16 AM.

#15 Serpius

Serpius

• Banned
  • 121 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2015 - 06:57 AM

My questions are of the technical nature, and they are the same questions that are in my original post. I did not ask for anyone to make a decision for me. I asked technical questions that I would like to use the answers for to help myself make an informed decision. Perhaps I should close this thread and remake it. Maybe I was not clear enough in my original post. 

Again, people who have responded to your original post have responded and have given you information to help you to make an informed decision.

I know your questions are in technical nature, however, when some of us think that we have answered your questions, you seem to know beforehand that none of us will give you the answers you are looking for.

I spend almost one hour on post #11 doing all of the research in an attempt to give you information to assist you in making an informed decision.

Your response in post #12 was a slap to my face. Really? Go back and look at YOUR questions.

We are not here to be involved in your little goose chase because you want to tear apart our responses to your questions or tell us that we didn't answer your questions.

If that is not satisfying your quest to get the answers that you are looking for, then, I don't know what else you want from us. 

I am done with this thread. I am unsubscribing from this now.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users