Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Am I still infected? Have I destroyed my computer?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 sexyemmzy

sexyemmzy

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:32 PM

Posted 25 March 2015 - 07:21 PM

I accidentally clicked on something posing as adobe flash, because a video I was watching, said I needed to update it. It wasn't adobe flash, it was "Media Downloader" but I didn't realise until it was too late. It downloaded a load of programs to my computer, hijacked my search defaults and homepage etc and redirected all my pages via "mysearchstart".

I googled how to deal with the problem and went with the most commonly recommended steps. These are the steps I took...

1. Uninstall Media Downloader and all other programmes which had be installed that day, including mysearchstart.

2. Change my homepage back to google.co.uk, went to "manage add-ons" and removed all which were being redirected through mysearchstat and checked internet explorer properties, to check it no longer said mysearchstart

3. Ran disinfection on Kaspersky (numerous times)

4. Downloaded Hitman Pro, ran and quarantined all threats (numerous times)

Thought computer was okay and that I'd removed everything nasty.
The following day I clicked internet explorer and mysearchstart was back as my homepage. Tried loading chrome and now that has been hijacked too. So I went back to google.

5. I downloaded ADW Cleaner, selected everything it suggested as bad and ran a clean. It told me to reboot. I rebooted.

Once the computer restarted, nothing worked. My computer could not detect any internet networks to connect to. Troubleshooter couldn't detect a problem. Control panel wouldn't load. I was getting alerts telling me that windows defender, firewall and Kaspersky had been deactivated. It gave me the option to turn them back on but every time I did, they were instantly switched back off within seconds. Anything I tried to do either wouldn't load, or loaded really really slowly. Went back to google, found a thread on this forum with a similar problem.

6. I opened command prompt and entered the following:
netsh winsock reset
netsh interface ipv4 reset

netsh interface ipv6 reset
ipconfig /flushdns

Some of these said "ok" others said "failure". However, when I restarted my computer, the internet was working again.

I then came straight to this forum. I would like help with the following please...

a) Is my computer still infected? If so, how do I get rid of every last trace of all the elements this thing put on my laptop?

B) I'm worried there might still be something nasty left, but I'm scared to use anymore programmes after ADW went so wrong.

Have I completely destroyed my computer by downloading this virus? I've only had it two months.

I'm on Windows 8, in case that's relevant.

NOTE: Please talk to me as though I am really thick because I really don't understand anything techie - everything I have done so far is based on advice from google.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,040 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:32 PM

Posted 25 March 2015 - 07:53 PM

Hi let's also run these

ESET Online Scanner•Hold down Control and click on this link to open ESET Online Scanner in a new window.
•Click the esetonlinebtn.png button.
•For alternate browsers only: (Microsoft Internet Explorer users can skip these steps)
•Click on esetsmartinstaller_enu.exe to download the ESET Smart Installer. Save it to your desktop.
•Double click on the esetsmartinstaller_enu.png icon on your desktop.
•Check "YES, I accept the Terms of Use."
•Click the Start button.
•Accept any security warnings from your browser.
•Under scan settings, check "Scan Archives" and "Remove found threats"
•Click Advanced settings and select the following:◦Scan potentially unwanted applications
◦Scan for potentially unsafe applications
◦Enable Anti-Stealth technology

•ESET will then download updates for itself, install itself, and begin scanning your computer. Please be patient as this can take some time.
•When the scan completes, click List Threats
•Click Export, and save the file to your desktop using a unique name, such as ESETScan. Include the contents of this report in your next reply.
•Click the Back button.
•Click the Finish button.
•NOTE: Sometimes if ESET finds no infections it will not create a log.
>>>

51a46ae42d560-malwarebytes_anti_malware.Malwarebytes Anti-Malware•Download MalwareBytes Anti-Malware to your desktop.
•Double-click mbam-setup-2.0.exe to start the installation of Malwarebytes Anti-Malware.
•Follow the instructions on your screen to complete the installation. You can find the complete installation procedure here.
•Click the Scan Now button, a threat scan will start automatically.
•MalwareBytes Anti-Malware will now check for the latest updates. Click Update Now if new updates are available.
•Your computer is now being scanned, please do not use your computer during the scan.◦If no threats were found, click View detailed log.◾Click Export and save the log as a .txt file on your Desktop or another location.

◦If the scan detected any threats, click Apply Actions.◾To complete any actions taken you will be prompted to restart your computer...click on Yes.
◾After reboot, start Malwarebytes Anti-Malware again and click the History Tab at the top and select Application Logs.
◾Check the box next to Scan Log. Choose the most current scan and click View.
◾Click Export and save the log as a .txt file on your Desktop or another location.

•Providing the MalwareBytes' Anti-Malware log file◦Attach the log file you just saved to your next reply for further review.

Edited by boopme, 25 March 2015 - 07:54 PM.

How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,040 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:32 PM

Posted 25 March 2015 - 07:58 PM

please see end of post 2 here for ESET http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/571197/exploitwin32pdfjscalc-found-by-my-security-program-unable-to-remove-it/
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users