I accidentally clicked on something posing as adobe flash, because a video I was watching, said I needed to update it. It wasn't adobe flash, it was "Media Downloader" but I didn't realise until it was too late. It downloaded a load of programs to my computer, hijacked my search defaults and homepage etc and redirected all my pages via "mysearchstart".
I googled how to deal with the problem and went with the most commonly recommended steps. These are the steps I took...
1. Uninstall Media Downloader and all other programmes which had be installed that day, including mysearchstart.
2. Change my homepage back to google.co.uk, went to "manage add-ons" and removed all which were being redirected through mysearchstat and checked internet explorer properties, to check it no longer said mysearchstart
3. Ran disinfection on Kaspersky (numerous times)
4. Downloaded Hitman Pro, ran and quarantined all threats (numerous times)
Thought computer was okay and that I'd removed everything nasty.
The following day I clicked internet explorer and mysearchstart was back as my homepage. Tried loading chrome and now that has been hijacked too. So I went back to google.
5. I downloaded ADW Cleaner, selected everything it suggested as bad and ran a clean. It told me to reboot. I rebooted.
Once the computer restarted, nothing worked. My computer could not detect any internet networks to connect to. Troubleshooter couldn't detect a problem. Control panel wouldn't load. I was getting alerts telling me that windows defender, firewall and Kaspersky had been deactivated. It gave me the option to turn them back on but every time I did, they were instantly switched back off within seconds. Anything I tried to do either wouldn't load, or loaded really really slowly. Went back to google, found a thread on this forum with a similar problem.
6. I opened command prompt and entered the following:
netsh winsock reset
netsh interface ipv4 reset
netsh interface ipv6 reset
Some of these said "ok" others said "failure". However, when I restarted my computer, the internet was working again.
I then came straight to this forum. I would like help with the following please...
a) Is my computer still infected? If so, how do I get rid of every last trace of all the elements this thing put on my laptop?
I'm worried there might still be something nasty left, but I'm scared to use anymore programmes after ADW went so wrong.
Have I completely destroyed my computer by downloading this virus? I've only had it two months.
I'm on Windows 8, in case that's relevant.
NOTE: Please talk to me as though I am really thick because I really don't understand anything techie - everything I have done so far is based on advice from google.